talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EU Army or German Army by Proxy

football forum

They’re at it again, the (un)democratic version of the Schlieffen Plan is in effect again. 

Youve got to give them credit, they’re persistent. 

Lose the ability to have a large army so take control of the continent via another complicated political system that they effectively run via proxy and then start building up an army.

Whats next a Cold War with Russia and a clash over resources in Eastern Europe....oh wait!  

https://www.politico.eu/article/angela-merkel-emmanuel-macron-eu-army-to-complement-nato/

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it even a Cold War when you've got Russia invading Ukraine and Georgia before it & using England as a political killing grounds? I guess the political killings make it more like a Cold War - the actual invasions of Eastern European seem more in the realm of hot wars.

I don't see what alternative the EU has - it can continue to rely on the US for military power. But the US is an unreliable ally that's most significant impact on the world in the last 20 years was the invasion of Iraq and effectively creating ISIS and spreading radical terrorist groups throughout the region and into Europe. Then they've got a belligerent Russia (that the far right, strangely, thinks the correct thing to do is constantly appease) and a growing superpower in China exerting more influence.

From the EU's perspective, in terms of military defense, they've got NATO - which is all well and good. But when you've got an unreliable ally in the US, where a portion of the alt-right idiots who are running the show pretty desperately want to pull out of NATO (to further weaken the west, to the glee of their puppet masters) and a key ally in the UK that's voted to castrate itself economically (thus making future UK NATO contributions likely to be substantially smaller).

And if this is a Cold War heating up (and it's got all the elements of a cold war heating up)… then the EU would be absolutely moronic to not plan for what happens next should it no longer be cold.

Funny. Isn't it? When there were talks about the prospect of a foreign border guard patrolling the coast of sovereign countries to take care of "brown people" arriving in boats none gave a flying fuck about border countries losing sovereignty to do with their borders what they please. (and I mean, some people talk like that should be happening ASAP, Tomorrow too late).

When there are talks about pooling up resources and improving efficiency of the weapon industry (at least a decade away from getting to something substantial in military integration due to enormous gulf in strategical culture between countries) in a context of progressive  disentanglement of the USA from the transatlantic relation (and not even taking into consideration the threat of Mr. Trump about his wish to turn NATO into a protection racket): the horror. yadda yada. 4th reich. yada yada yada.

• Administrator

Fundamentally against this. There’s no sound basis for creating a continental  military bloc power. Dick swinging to shape up against the States and look imposing against Russia is sheer folly. With this level of scale comes greater political complexity and immeasurable risks. Have we learned nothing from history. 

I can't pretend to understand everything surrounding this and all I would be able to offer are my personal feelings which is unfortunately how Brexit campaigning was run from those with the responsibility on informing us with the FACTS.

So I won't give a proper opinion other than scepticism on the thought of creating a joint EU Army. NWhat I will say though is that right at this minute both the US and Russia are no friends of the EU at all and we as Europeans have a duty to Europe for obvious reasons.  There are genuine threats out there, genuine threats that could change our lives forever coming from outside our continent.

Archived