talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How will your club be impacted by Brexit?

• Administrator

Specifically aimed at Premier League fans but of course, on the continent we will have an interest too. If work permits are applicable for EU nationalities to Premier League clubs, surely this is a concern? 

I have suspicions that permit agreements will be sought with nations such as France, Belgium etc but in the event these cannot be established, I wonder what the wider implications are. 

I believe this can only be good for Ligue 1, a greater chance of retaining young and promising players alike. I appreciate this is more of a problem in Ligue 1 than elsewhere. Hence my interest. 

@Stan @SirBalon @Harvsky @Tommy @nudge @The Palace Fan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was prepairing an article on this particular issue back in September but pulled it as the research was very time consuming and theres a lot of questions still unanswered. The short end of it is that we dont know what will happen and can only make assumptions. I've got some of the extracts I was in the middle of composing (So excuse the grammar, I was going to get @Stan to proof read it xD) on my notepad that I'll amend slightly and post.

Will Brexit threaten our ability to attract the best players in the world?

It goes without saying, one of the key elements of being a member state of the EU is 'the free movement of labour between member nations' which has allowed some of the greatest professional football players to play their trade in the UK. It appears that discussions are ongoing between Government and football's stakeholders on this particular issue.

It would not be in the Government's interests to jeopardise the Premier League's position. It is estimated that football is worth about twelve billion pounds in receipts to HM Treasury and provides a lot of taxes. Therefore it's presumed at this time that the professional end of the game will remain largely unaffected, and the Government will not be putting in a regime that will stop Premier League clubs signing top international stars.

One area of change may well be is the signing of U18's from other EU nations. Currently, all EU nations and those signed up to the EEA (European Economic Area) are exempt from a FIFA Rule which prevents the transfer of U18's. Brexit will see us lose this exemption unless Government becomes a member of the EEA or signs a bilateral agreement with the EU on the free movement of workers.

• Subscriber

Was reading on twitter that clubs will be forced to have only 12 players from outside England when it comes to Premiership teams and that there aren't that many clubs in that bracket right now. I don't know how true that is but I imagine it does have benefits for England considering this gives their youth a chance?

It should damage the Premier League substantially.  Imagine Irish players too!

I know a hell of a lot more on the implications of leaving the European Union than I did the day I voted in that infamous referendum.  As we know, the job done by both parties (Leavers & Remainers) was atrocious and by the sounds of it, illegally run in some cases.  Just look at the situation now where many of the politicians admit that they knew nothing on what could happen...

It will only affect the UK and not Europe... The UK (the Premier League) will suffer massively because of the time consuming bureaucratic nonsense that can come from it.

I will say this though...

If anyone thinks that special rules for the movement of European footballers will be implemented at the expense of no special rules for the rest of the European citizens, then they haven't been researching and reading properly. That in itself could make the other half of the population in the UK that don't want to leave the EU really explode and all sorts could happen with a collapse.  Plus I'm sure the EU would have a say on this.

The short end of it is this...

Firstly... I thought those that sold leaving had it all sussed out when we left?

Secondly and finally... That's the way the cookie crumbles and a footballer born in Germany, Republic of Ireland, Belgium, Italy, France, Portugal or Spain is an EU citizen.  There will be rules for moving between the EU and the UK, those rules apply to all.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I was prepairing an article on this particular issue back in September but pulled it as the research was very time consuming and theres a lot of questions still unanswered. The short end of it is that we dont know what will happen and can only make assumptions. I've got some of the extracts I was in the middle of composing (So excuse the grammar, I was going to get @Stan to proof read it xD) on my notepad that I'll amend slightly and post.

Will Brexit threaten our ability to attract the best players in the world?

It goes without saying, one of the key elements of being a member state of the EU is 'the free movement of labour between member nations' which has allowed some of the greatest professional football players to play their trade in the UK. It appears that discussions are ongoing between Government and football's stakeholders on this particular issue.

It would not be in the Government's interests to jeopardise the Premier League's position. It is estimated that football is worth about twelve billion pounds in receipts to HM Treasury and provides a lot of taxes. Therefore it's presumed at this time that the professional end of the game will remain largely unaffected, and the Government will not be putting in a regime that will stop Premier League clubs signing top international stars.

One area of change may well be is the signing of U18's from other EU nations. Currently, all EU nations and those signed up to the EEA (European Economic Area) are exempt from a FIFA Rule which prevents the transfer of U18's. Brexit will see us lose this exemption unless Government becomes a member of the EEA or signs a bilateral agreement with the EU on the free movement of workers.

I still can if you want!

53 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It should damage the Premier League substantially.  Imagine Irish players too!

I know a hell of a lot more on the implications of leaving the European Union than I did the day I voted in that infamous referendum.  As we know, the job done by both parties (Leavers & Remainers) was atrocious and by the sounds of it, illegally run in some cases.  Just look at the situation now where many of the politicians admit that they knew nothing on what could happen...

It will only affect the UK and not Europe... The UK (the Premier League) will suffer massively because of the time consuming bureaucratic nonsense that can come from it.

I will say this though...

If anyone thinks that special rules for the movement of European footballers will be implemented at the expense of no special rules for the rest of the European citizens, then they haven't been researching and reading properly. That in itself could make the other half of the population in the UK that don't want to leave the EU really explode and all sorts could happen with a collapse.  Plus I'm sure the EU would have a say on this.

The short end of it is this...

Firstly... I thought those that sold leaving had it all sussed out when we left?

Secondly and finally... That's the way the cookie crumbles and a footballer born in Germany, Republic of Ireland, Belgium, Italy, France, Portugal or Spain is an EU citizen.  There will be rules for moving between the EU and the UK, those rules apply to all.

There is a common travel agreement between the UK and Ireland which is entirely separate from the EU, so they won't be affected.

If Brexit, as self-harming and baffling as it is going to be, manages to reduce the Premier League 'Elite' to middling, irrelevances then I suppose living in a hut with no hot water would be worth it.

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

This is all if Brexit ever actually goes through.

Even if it does, the freedom of movement and any trade agreements could still be negotiated separately. Of course that undermines Brexit but nothing is particularly clear at this point.

1 hour ago, Batard said:

Even if it does, the freedom of movement and any trade agreements could still be negotiated separately. Of course that undermines Brexit but nothing is particularly clear at this point.

It will be very difficult to arrange any freedom of movement for footballers alone in the next decade or so as things stand mate. The reason being the Remain Beigade who would hit extremely hard and it could cause havoc in what is already a very very sensitive situation. People mustn’t forget that the country is practically split down the middle on the Brexit referendum. 

It's already had an impact with the exchange rate going to shit against the Euro, inflating £ transfer fees even further than they already would've been.

I'd also be curious to know how much more common it is for players to insist on their wages being paid in Euros since 2016.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Inverted said:

It's already had an impact with the exchange rate going to shit against the Euro, inflating £ transfer fees even further than they already would've been.

I'd also be curious to know how much more common it is for players to insist on their wages being paid in Euros since 2016.

With all the offshore accounts, I’m surprised it wasn’t already happening before Brexit. In 2002 sterling bombed against the Euro, it’s been hit and miss ever since. 

The Premier League has opposed the FA's post-Brexit proposal limiting the number of non-homegrown players clubs can include in their senior squads.

The Premier League, EFL and the SPFL are in agreement that Brexit should not be used "to weaken playing squads in British football, nor to harm clubs' ability to sign international players".

It is believed the FA is pushing for the number of non-homegrown players to be restricted to 13 per Premier League club.

The plan aims to maintain the Premier League's current quality while offering more opportunities for homegrown talent, considering England-qualified starters are down to 30 per cent at a time when Gareth Southgate's national team is on the rise.

• 2 years later...

From next year, English clubs will no longer be able to sign foreign players until they are 18. The new rules (pushed for by the FA) also stipulate that Premier League clubs will only be allowed to sign six overseas under-21 players per season from 2021-22, with only three permitted in the upcoming January window.

FIFA is yet to finalise its new post-Brexit transfer rules concerning under-18s but some European teams thought they might still be able to sign British under-18s for their youth teams. However English clubs are pressing FIFA to standardise the process globally, so all players can only move countries when they turn 18.

The FA and FIFA are currently in talks about this — and there are discussions ongoing about whether the Republic of Ireland should be exempt from the new regulations.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
8 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm sure he's previously said he voted Leave

Yep.

Before the referendum, when he was Sunderland manager, he reportedly told his players: “I am out. My feeling is that the European Union isn’t doing the United Kingdom any favours.”

Archived