talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Clubs Agree to VAR Next Season

Shareholders from all 20 Premier League clubs will meet on Thursday to discuss the introduction of VAR from next season.

Among the other topics under discussion are the shortening of the summer transfer window and a potential £5m gesture for outgoing Premier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore.

It is the first meeting of Premier League shareholders since Susanna Dinnage was named as Scudamore's successor, with her job commencing in early 2019.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news. 

Worked much better in the World Cup than during the previous season across Europe and still provided the controversy some people seem to seek.

It’s a shame most Premier League grounds don’t have screens that can show the incidents as they’re being reviewed as it’s a bit weird just standing around waiting for a decision, not being able to see it when you’re in a stadium. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

It’s a shame most Premier League grounds don’t have screens that can show the incidents as they’re being reviewed as it’s a bit weird just standing around waiting for a decision, not being able to see it when you’re in a stadium. 

Maybe the Ref could call over the two captains of either side while he is viewing the incident(s) with them beside him, that may help a wee bit, inserting screens must cost a bomb but when you get the Premier League asking all clubs to donate £250,000 each, which they did to give a certain outgoing executive chairman Richard Scudamore a going away retirement present that money could have been spent on screens at grounds that did not have them.

After all,  Scudamore - who reportedly earns £2.5m per season I don't think he would miss a £250,000 x 20 bonus. :coffee:

3 minutes ago, Marc said:

Yup terrible for match attending supporters. 

Another added plus for not being in the Prem: the list is getting longer, just need a ticket price cap.

Isn’t the ticket price thing a myth? Generally, aren’t away tickets in the Premier League fairly accessible (like £20-30 for most)? Isn’t the Championship where away tickets are a joke? Don’t Leeds charge £40 for away fans?

4 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Maybe the Ref could call over the two captains of either side while he is viewing the incident(s) with them beside him, that may help a wee bit, inserting screens must cost a bomb but when you get the Premier League asking all clubs to donate £250,000 each, which they did to give a certain outgoing executive chairman Richard Scudamore a going away retirement present that money could have been spent on screens at grounds that did not have them.

After all,  Scudamore - who reportedly earns £2.5m per season I don't think he would miss a £250,000 x 20 bonus. :coffee:

I’m not calling for screens to be added, it’s just not a logical or cost effective move but having witnessed VAR being used (England v Italy) it was just a bit weird that we stood around watching the referee watching a screen on the big screens at Wembley. At the World Cup, they showed the incidents being reviewed on the big screens, I believe. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’m not calling for screens to be added, it’s just not a logical or cost effective move but having witnessed VAR being used (England v Italy) it was just a bit weird that we stood around watching the referee watching a screen on the big screens at Wembley

I guess nowadays with a lot of fans with mobile phones who are connected to whoever can view the incidents on that, but it is still frustrating that fans can't view it on a big screen.   

Great news for the referees. Not just for making better decisions but there was going to be less chance of English referees going to European competitions & international competitions without VAR experience.

5 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Isn’t the ticket price thing a myth? Generally, aren’t away tickets in the Premier League fairly accessible (like £20-30 for most)? Isn’t the Championship where away tickets are a joke? Don’t Leeds charge £40 for away fans?

Yeah. Worded badly, but I meant the football league needs a ticket cap. Leeds, Sheff Wed, Derby, ipswich can all be over £30. Maybe even us? Not sure now, £30 might be our max for away fans.

17 minutes ago, Marc said:

Yeah. Worded badly, but I meant the football league needs a ticket cap. Leeds, Sheff Wed, Derby, ipswich can all be over £30. Maybe even us? Not sure now, £30 might be our max for away fans.

Had a quick look earlier, West Ham fans going to Newcastle are being charged £30, on the same day Bristol City are being charged £37 for Leeds. 

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Had a quick look earlier, West Ham fans going to Newcastle are being charged £30, on the same day Bristol City are being charged £37 for Leeds. 

Every prem game is max of £30. We got charged either £36 or £38 at Wednesday recently,

We have Bristol City away in about a month and it's £32, it's also on TV 17:30 kick off and about a 10 hour round trip.

5 minutes ago, Marc said:

Every prem game is max of £30. We got charged either £36 or £38 at Wednesday recently,

We have Bristol City away in about a month and it's £32, it's also on TV 17:30 kick off and about a 10 hour round trip.

Yeah, that doesn’t shock me. The Premier League is generally quite good for away ticket pricing, whereas the Championship seems awful for that. 

20 hours ago, Storts said:

Terrible news for the match going fan - thankfully not many of those on here so I'm sure most will approve.

I'd rather be in the dark for a few minutes and they make the right call, rather than seeing something obvious right in front of me and being frustrated that the referee has no chance to see it.

5 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

I'd rather be in the dark for a few minutes and they make the right call, rather than seeing something obvious right in front of me and being frustrated that the referee has no chance to see it.

As somebody who goes to games regularly I agree with you. It's only going to be an inconvenience for those who support clubs incapable of creating an atmosphere for two minutes.

Archived