talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ousmane Dembélé

football forum

So after Barça’s 5-2 home victory against Real Betis last night, Clement Lenglet was interviewed by the pitchside journalists and obviously he was asked about what’s going to happen to Ousmane Dembélé;

He said that “It’s not upto me if and how he’ll be punished but he’s got a lot of black bread to eat”

The French expression of saying someone has a lot of black bread to eat is apparently an ancient one “manger son pain noir” when the peasants would eat a harsher to digest dark bread and the nobles would eat the more processed and easier to digest white bread.

The expression apparently means that; Before you’ve made it you have to sacrifice yourself and to go through the tough times.

@Batard Is this more or less how it goes mate?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

So after Barça’s 5-2 home victory against Real Betis last night, Clement Lenglet was interviewed by the pitchside journalists and obviously he was asked about what’s going to happen to Ousmane Dembélé;

He said that “It’s not upto me if and how he’ll be punished but he’s got a lot of black bread to eat”

The French expression of saying someone has a lot of black bread to eat is apparently an ancient one “manger son pain noir” when the peasants would eat a harsher to digest dark bread and the nobles would eat the more processed and easier to digest white bread.

The expression apparently means that; Before you’ve made it you have to sacrifice yourself and to go through the tough times.

@Batard Is this more or less how it goes mate?

Spot on. Basically the English equivalents would be "take the good with bad / rough with the smooth". It's a very old expression actually

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Right one this time, thanks @Cicero and others for pointing it out.

Quote.thumb.png.960678d3158ff1b6232e16afadca4c25.png

Liverpool fans are excited at the prospect of signing Ousmane Dembele - after the 22-year-old Barcelona and France forward liked a mocked-up picture of him wearing a Reds kit on Instagram. (Express)

I'm not excited about the prospect of this at all. Overrated dickhead with an attitude problem, no thanks.

• Subscriber
On 06/01/2020 at 22:59, CaaC (John) said:

Right one this time, thanks @Cicero and others for pointing it out.

Quote.thumb.png.960678d3158ff1b6232e16afadca4c25.png

Liverpool fans are excited at the prospect of signing Ousmane Dembele - after the 22-year-old Barcelona and France forward liked a mocked-up picture of him wearing a Reds kit on Instagram. (Express)

I echo what @Dr. Gonzo said. This guy has a rich history of being a problem more than a solution. We sent one muppet to Barcelona after he threw a tantrum and he turned out to be a dud for them and now we're going in for the reverse? I'd avoid this at all costs. Yes, he's got the skill and yes he can shine on his day but the problem is it happens at his whim and fancy. I can't see Klopp even entertaining that kind of behavior considering what would be required of Dembele at the club. Lets also not forget that this would be an expensive acquisition that doesn't have any chance of a proper ROI.

• 2 years later...

🚨A deal for French international Ousmane Dembélé has progressed in recent hours after contact was made with the player’s agent. Chelsea look to close the deal in the coming 48 hours. 

( Nizaar Kinzella - GOAL 🥇 )

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

🚨A deal for French international Ousmane Dembélé has progressed in recent hours after contact was made with the player’s agent. Chelsea look to close the deal in the coming 48 hours. 

( Nizaar Kinzella - GOAL 🥇 )

He was holding off on any other deals until the situation could be sorted with the new owners apparently... 

Just now, Bluewolf said:

He was holding off on any other deals until the situation could be sorted with the new owners apparently... 

Looks like it. 

His injury record is awful but hearing Barca's medical staff is notoriously poor. Then again, his hamstring scar tissue will always be a concern, despite what ever medical staff is rehabilitating him. 

He genuinely can't be worse than what we have. 

• 4 weeks later...

That's that then. 

This whore is out 3/4 of the season and managed to fleece Barcelona. Credit to him. 

Barcelona latest offer to Dembele is €6m net/year + €1.5m in bonus to player for extension. There won't be any bonus for his agent. (Romero)

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

That's that then. 

This whore is out 3/4 of the season and managed to fleece Barcelona. Credit to him. 

Barcelona latest offer to Dembele is €6m net/year + €1.5m in bonus to player for extension. There won't be any bonus for his agent. (Romero)

I think it's better for you tbh, if you're actually in for Sterling like all the reports are saying. Sterling's a better player, stays healthier, and I think he was a Chelsea fan as a kid so he'd probably love being at the club rather than just treat it as a final big payday, which I'm sure Dembele would.

Given everything about him I am sure if fully fit he could be very creative but the big question would be about his fitness and his attitude long term..  At least if we can get Sterling he has proven premiership ability so not such a big risk and if we are lucky he could prove as beneficial to the side as Cole was when he came from Arsenal but with a better strike rate.. 

Either way we seem to be dawdling along at the moment with our potential signings so can only hope we are in for the right players and more importantly that we can get those players over the line.. Still got time but if we hesitate too long then some of those opportunities could vanish.. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it's better for you tbh, if you're actually in for Sterling like all the reports are saying. Sterling's a better player, stays healthier, and I think he was a Chelsea fan as a kid so he'd probably love being at the club rather than just treat it as a final big payday, which I'm sure Dembele would.

He was a United fan. 

Archived