talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Is this a “Golden Generation” of English players?

“The Golden Generation” was a tagline for England teams of about 2002-2006 when it was filled with the likes of David Beckham, Michael Owen, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Paul Scholes and latterly, Wayne Rooney. As we all know, they failed to live up to that tag due to a series of Quarter Final defeats. 

However, having just watched an England team reach a Semi-Final for the second time in a few months with the likes of Jordan Pickford, John Stones, Raheem Sterling, Jaden Sancho, Jesse Lingard, Dele Allo and Harry Kane to name a few, is this a new “Golden Generation”?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In youth football no country has ever done ever done what England did last year. We have some great players coming though. I really hope we can win something it would be so good. I think the world cup showed how much we want it

Given what we've achieved at youth level and the lack of fear our teams are all playing with I don't get how you can't be excited about what the future could hold. 

Regarding tags...

I wouldn't want any generation to be given the tag of golden generation. When I think of the golden generation. I think of a group of big names that couldn't cope with expectation. 

I wouldn't call this the social media generation like some outlets have done either. They're not playing without fear because of social media. They're playing out of fear because of the environment that's been created at all levels which has seen the media begin to treat these players as humans. 

• Administrator

Nope. The good thing about this squad, as alluded to in another thread, is the togetherness of the squad. 

Many squads do well because they have a collective attitude of wanting to walk through walls for each other, not necessarily because of talent of some individuals. Obviously it's good to have a few good stand-out players who can be pivotal at certain times (Kane and Pickford are good examples). But team spirit and desire can go a very long way. Having a managed who wants to instil that whilst be a bit creative with formation and selecting personnel also helps. 

I wouldn't say golden generation but there's so much potential. It's good that several players, despite their young ages, are performing at a high level and being successful at it at the same time (semi-finals at the World Cup was a welcome over-achievement in my eyes). It definitely provides a good foundation for them to realise that potential in future games/tournaments. 

I think this group probably qualifies as a golden generation, despite its negative connotations, due to both the potential some of these players have and the results they’ve achieved thus far. 

I think there will now be expectation on their shoulders come Euro 2020. We should walk the Qualifiers, even if we get a tricky second seed, and as a result, there will be a level of expectation on this England teams shoulders, something we’ve not really had since maybe 2006/2008. 

I don't see a "golden generation" here at all.  Apart from Harry Kane who could be considered appetising for many of Europe's tops clubs (depending on how they play because for example he wouldn't work for Barça), I don't see atone that enters that category when we consider what we give this title too with past generations elsewhere.

What we have here is as @Stan alluded to with a TEAM and a coach that understands that team by making them competitive.  This England side performs and is difficult to handle due to their collective attributes but there aren't any world class individuals except for Harry Kane (sort off).

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I don't see a "golden generation" here at all.  Apart from Harry Kane who could be considered appetising for many of Europe's tops clubs (depending on how they play because for example he wouldn't work for Barça), I don't see atone that enters that category when we consider what we give this title too with past generations elsewhere.

What we have here is as @Stan alluded to with a TEAM and a coach that understands that team by making them competitive.  This England side performs and is difficult to handle due to their collective attributes but there aren't any world class individuals except for Harry Kane (sort off).

Cannot agree at all. 

John Stones would walk into the backline of all major European sides, Raheem Sterling has been linked with Real Madrid and that’s not a shock, Dele Alli is, on his day, a superb talent and Harry Kane, as you mentioned, is superb in front of goal. 

There’s easily four, potentially five or six, players who’d be appetising to most European clubs right now and potentially, there could be more in two or three years should some players continue on the trajectory they’re on (I’m thinking Sancho, Gomez and TAA). 

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

This. 12 years ago we had a team of world class players. This is a team that comes together that we can be proud of.  It wasn't easy to finish above Croatia who reached the world cup final and Spain a team full of game finishingworld class talent.

4 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Cannot agree at all. 

John Stones would walk into the backline of all major European sides, Raheem Sterling has been linked with Real Madrid and that’s not a shock, Dele Alli is, on his day, a superb talent and Harry Kane, as you mentioned, is superb in front of goal. 

There’s easily four, potentially five or six, players who’d be appetising to most European clubs right now and potentially, there could be more in two or three years should some players continue on the trajectory they’re on (I’m thinking Sancho, Gomez and TAA). 

I'd make a case that Dele Alli isn't world class just on the basis of his 'odd position'. He is a bit of an old-school second-striker that doesn't really exist in many of today's formations, other than that he is elite. But I reserve the term 'world class' for players that are without a doubt the best in their position.

47 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Cannot agree at all. 

This is all very subjective (yes I know it's a cliché) and I can't disprove anything you say as I can't prove it.  As for interest from those clubs you've mentioned, there is no sure interest other than newspaper speculation where Real Madrid is concerned on them, at least from my knowledge.

What we have with this England side is something even more important than golden generations or world class players (those were the points of the question I was arguing on)... What we have is competitiveness and a coach that knows these guys well. That in itself gives options to compete at any level and with that there are no limits.

Maybe the better question with a more satisfying and realistic answer (at least from my perspective) is if this team can achieve great things which we all know what ones they are.  Under that scenario for me I would say definitely there's a chance and THAT'S a lot more important at this moment in time.  As for individual statuses, that is created from success and especially maintenance of continuing to compete right at the top for a considerable amount of time.

What's more important?

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

1 hour ago, Spike said:

No. It's a well managed generation.

Exactly this. The actual view going into wc2018 seemed to be that expectations had never been lower and that it was a side with the least big names in a long time. 

They benefited from those lowered expectations and a favorable draw.

They've taken momentum from that overall performance and a shootout win and now confidence is high. The trajectory they are on is one towards self belief. Something some other international teams seem to have ingrained already no matter their squad in any given year. 

Its a critical ingredient to success. 

But it's a management aspect rather than the result of them being a golden generation of talent 

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Harry said:

But it's a management aspect rather than the result of them being a golden generation of talent 

The manager has a lot to do with it, "Golden Generation", nope, England last won [and only that] a major World trophy [Cup] in 1966, since then and ever after the English media build up the potential of the next England squad for a major tournament as the next generation until they come unstuck then the media runs down the team and manager where it all went apeshit as they know better than anyone else.  

As I have mentioned here before I was born in England, my father was English although now I live in Scotland I still look for the English scores and would love them to win a major trophy [World Cup or European Championship] for the sake of my old man who departed planet Earth 10 years ago and who seen on tv in Australia his beloved West Ham player Bobby Moore lift the World Cup for England as Captain as my old man was a hammer supporter.

Never get carried away in football to do with England, just take every day as it comes, England fought back from 1-0 down to win 2-1 then what about Switzerland tonight, they needed to win 3 nil to go through, went 2-0 down and bloody won in the end 5-2!!

As ex-Spurs Jimmy Greaves said in his quote "Football was a funny old game", he was right and still is. :ay:

• Subscriber

It is far too early for anything like that, but for the first time probably ever I actually feel like we're in quite safe hands and I see our players giving people genuine reasons to believe they can achieve things, rather than baseless drivel like we're used to.

It's a lot more positive in general but it's far too early to say its a golden generation. Do feel like Sancho could be a genuinely special player mind.

24 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yet. 

He has potential to be as good and effective as them.

He does and he’s excellent at what he does (I’m not a big fan of his type of frint man) and he can reach the stars at this rate. But there are questions for me with him. 

Archived