talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football and Analytics

football forum

Anyone into this sort of thing? Been trying to read up more about Football and is uses of analytics. The most well known example in England is probably Brentford. But I’ve been trying to find out more about the model at Brentford and the basics of data analytics in Football. 

Anyone read any articles, blogs etc about this?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You won't find specifics out because they're from Matchbook so they won't ever be released.

But it's interesting to see how we look at players, for example our owner said a year or two ago he'd rather look at how many goals a team scored when a striker is playing rather than how many goals the striker scores.

Personally I don't have the patience or the maths skills to get in depth into analytics, I like it's use but it kills my enjoyment of the game. Quite happy to let others do the research.

Pretty sure Brighton operate in a similar fashion, wouldn't surprise me if Watford did too.

• Subscriber

https://statsbomb.com/2017/09/set-pieces-and-market-efficiency/

Give that a read if you haven't already does a semi-decent job of explaining set piece analysis. I don't think you'd actually find analytical models used at clubs like Brentford because that would just be a problem for the companies that are paid a lot to do them. 

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Give that a read if you haven't already does a semi-decent job of explaining set piece analysis. I don't think you'd actually find analytical models used at clubs like Brentford because that would just be a problem for the companies that are paid a lot to do them. 

Not going to challenge you too much because I feel you've got a greater grasp than I do, but our owner owns a betting company called Matchbook and its from their in which most of our analysis comes from I believe.

Also the owner of Statsbomb Ted Knutson did work for us for a while too, not sure if as an employee or contractor.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Danny said:

Not going to challenge you too much because I feel you've got a greater grasp than I do, but our owner owns a betting company called Matchbook and its from their in which most of our analysis comes from I believe.

Also the owner of Statsbomb Ted Knutson did work for us for a while too, not sure if as an employee or contractor.

Oh I am no expert on this facet of stats but like Smiley I have a keen interest and take time to read articles when I get the chance. I did read about Matchbook as well and also about an other company called Stat DNA (what Arsenal uses) and its very fascinating how the game has taken a more analytical approach because I suppose it had to eventually to gain advantage on the opposition. The story of the shift in philosophy in the Danish league after you'll fired Dijkhuizen and how stat analysts dont see the way the work done in Danish league was any coincidence is also a good read. I  believe the Guardian did a piece on that.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Statsbomb is a very good source of interesting insights into football analytics in general; but as you said, it's unlikely that any actual models can be found online anyway as it's a lucrative complex product that takes a lot of time to be developed and tested. That said, there are a lot of research papers available that give quite a bit of in depth info about methodology, statistical approaches and machine learning algorithms that are or can be used in football analytics in general. This one is a good example: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257048220_Machine_Learning_for_Soccer_Analytics 

Also quite a few blogs and twitter accounts that are really good if one's got interest in football analytics; I'll post some later when I'm at home.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, nudge said:

Statsbomb is a very good source of interesting insights into football analytics in general; but as you said, it's unlikely that any actual models can be found online anyway as it's a lucrative complex product that takes a lot of time to be developed and tested. That said, there are a lot of research papers available that give quite a bit of in depth info about methodology, statistical approaches and machine learning algorithms that are or can be used in football analytics in general. This one is a good example: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257048220_Machine_Learning_for_Soccer_Analytics 

Also quite a few blogs and twitter accounts that are really good if one's got interest in football analytics; I'll post some later when I'm at home.

Always thought Research Gate was good only for papers on stuff related to Machine Learning as a formal discipline not for application purposes. Thanks for that. They had a superb paper on the UX behind making users wait for choices to be presented and how gaming users to anticipate choices made them stay longer on websites. You just need the time to go through the papers which is a good weekend read imo.

12 hours ago, Spike said:

As Spike says, yes I will begin to work in this industry. Not exactly as Smiley describes it though. I'm going to be working for a betting site as of next year and the live in play stats. 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Our scouting department uses a similar artificial intelligence-based tool called JAAI Scout which is developed on the basis of IBM Watson. Our current goalkeeper was actually discovered through it two seasons ago and turned out to be a great signing. I think many clubs are using something similar already, it's sure a great asset.

4 hours ago, Blue said:

As Spike says, yes I will begin to work in this industry. Not exactly as Smiley describes it though. I'm going to be working for a betting site as of next year and the live in play stats. 

I think you will succeed.

Archived