talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Social Media

football forum

Ever feel like you are addicted to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc.? I tried to deactivate my accounts numerous times, because I spend too much time on it, and I wanted to clear my head due to events in my personal life etc. But I just can't stick with it. One time I managed to do it a whole night, and then I tried it again and I only lasted for about 5 minutes. I just feel like I need to be on there, or else I'm going to miss out. Do you feel the same?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

The 3 you mention are the main ones I use.

Twitter, Facebook, Insta in that order.

I wouldn't say I'm addicted but I do think Twitter has its vast benefits more than the other two. Facebook is running dry though and I use that much less these days as opposed to school/uni days. Mainly only use it for pictures and to keep up with birthdays xD. Insta's good for a posting a photo here or there; if I was in marketing for a company I reckon it'd be worthwhile having and using more for advertisement purposes.

I've never tried deactivating as it's still a good way to occasionally keep in touch with friends/family who you don't see in person. I think a lot of it is down to will power and discipline. You're always in control of the way you use it so if you have that in mind, you should be able to monitor it. 

You get some absolute dullards or knobheads on Twitter/FB, but Twitter has been more beneficial than not for things like news and sport updates. A lot of the time, if you don't like what/who you see or don't agree with them, you're still in control to block them or keep scrolling past the tweet/status. 

• Subscriber

No, not really. I have a facebook account, but it's mostly for finding certain information or news (mostly in expat and hobby groups) and keeping in touch with a few people on messenger. I post a pic or two every once in a while when I'm bored, but that's about it. I also have a twitter account but it's purely for information and news as well; I'm not active there otherwise. 

Never seen the attraction myself...

I appreciate some platforms help people keep in touch etc but so much of it is over the top and it only goes to show me just how daft some people really are out there... If anyone has ever seen the conversation feed on a sports stream and some of the content on there you will understand what I am on about.. My kids have all but given up trying to get me to open a Farcebook account and it's not because I am an old dinosaur or struggle with technology ( because my kids think if they taunt me enough along those lines that I will go rushing out opening accounts on everything just to prove them wrong ) but I never grew up with it as a kid so I don't feel the need to rely on it as I am older I suppose.. 

I like a certain degree of privacy as well and don't feel the need to be telling people I have never met what's going on in my life everyday across 3 or 4 different platforms... I struggle with the state of journalism in some quarters as it is from people you might expect to have a good standard without having to lower my expectation even further reading a large proportion of old drivel that if I was being honest I don't really understand anyway.. I mean that post on here the other day with that woman that @nudge called a yogini I think it was, I mean what the hell is a yogini??? xD There are also only so many kitten pictures I can tolerate... 

On the plus side I have found through my clicking travels a number of interesting places that have had some really good content so there are a few gems out there if you have the patience to find them but if it all went down tomorrow I am sure I could cope without having a breakdown or huge bills for therapy.. I would miss you lot though, that goes without saying, I would just have to accept it's like my youth, something I once had that was good while it lasted but now it's gone... :(

Also can somebody please click like for this content or I might feel rejected or that I have no worthwhile contribution in society.. I understand that this aspect of social media is also very important

Here is a cute baby turtle holding a heart shaped bit of strawberry if that helps sway you... 

Related image

Thank you in advance

I've got a twitter account but don't post just follow what's going on by creating those private feed/groups. I categorise by certain types, financial, political, nufc etc. However I've been meaning to sit down and remove everyone I consider immature. Some of the groups get clogged up by them at peak news times.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I mean that post on here the other day with that woman that @nudge called a yogini I think it was, I mean what the hell is a yogini??? xD 

Don't ask me, that's what she called herself on her profile xD I reckon it's one of those pseudo-spiritual self-proclaimed yoga and meditation ''teachers'' (with no credentials of course;  probably have been to a western-appropriated meditation retreat and a yoga resort, read a self-help book and tried magic mushrooms once) who claim to have found inner peace as they cleanse their chakras regularly, wear harem pants, possibly have a tramp-stamp depicting Shiva and claim to have gained psychic powers from becoming vegan and having tantric sex in Goa. 

Yes, I see a lot of such types here and I can't fucking stand them.

29 minutes ago, nudge said:

Don't ask me, that's what she called herself on her profile xD I reckon it's one of those pseudo-spiritual self-proclaimed yoga and meditation ''teachers'' (with no credentials of course;  probably have been to a western-appropriated meditation retreat and a yoga resort, read a self-help book and tried magic mushrooms once) who claim to have found inner peace as they cleanse their chakras regularly, wear harem pants, possibly have a tramp-stamp depicting Shiva and claim to have gained psychic powers from becoming vegan and having tantric sex in Goa. 

Oh right.. I didn't read the article, just saw the picture and it was like a scene from Carrie and read what you wrote.. xD

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, nudge said:

or from New Zealand...

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-46258687

14 hours ago, Harvsky said:

I've got a twitter account but don't post just follow what's going on by creating those private feed/groups. I categorise by certain types, financial, political, nufc etc. However I've been meaning to sit down and remove everyone I consider immature. Some of the groups get clogged up by them at peak news times.

You may have your work cut out for you there mate.... 

Speak to @True Blue he seems to be weeding out immature content in his life now he is married... he might be able to give you some advice on the types of tv and films you should be watching etc.. I don't know how extensive his experience is in this area but he may also be able to recommend suitable magazines that are not too childish and maybe a few web sites that are adult only themed if you know what I mean... I would be quick with that last one though, now he is tied down they will be one of the first things that need to be deleted from his web history I should imagine... 

16 hours ago, Tommy said:

Ever feel like you are addicted to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc.? I tried to deactivate my accounts numerous times, because I spend too much time on it, and I wanted to clear my head due to events in my personal life etc. But I just can't stick with it. One time I managed to do it a whole night, and then I tried it again and I only lasted for about 5 minutes. I just feel like I need to be on there, or else I'm going to miss out. Do you feel the same?

Try these 7 steps mate.... 

https://www.bustle.com/articles/144893-7-ways-to-stop-your-social-media-addiction

16 hours ago, Tommy said:

I only use Facebook from the above mentioned, but you are correct. I never wanted to deactivate the account. However i spend wayyyyyy too much of my free time using it. For example when ever i am bored i turn it on, i mostly use it to communicate with friends and to watch big boobs and vagena :D

I don't have Twitter personally. I deleted it back in 2013 after realising there were a lot of people I liked in person that just posted random cringeworthy shit and it was altering my opinion of them as a person.

I have Facebook but then again I rarely post anything. I scroll through the news feed to see what people are up to and if there's any funny or outragoues things being circulated but that's about it. I could cut it out, but wouldn't want to as it's an easy method of staying in touch.

I haven't updated my Instagram since the summer. I often scroll through to see what people are up to, but a lot of the time I just forget to take photos when I do anything. I have a girlfriend that orchestrates that. 

So yeah, i wouldnt say im addicted to social media. I'd say I'm passionate about this place growing but if I was removed from the staff I think I could leave it all behind. Train journeys to work and waiting times would become a lot shitter but I'm sure I'll end up filling that time with games or books rather easily. I think I've got something like 12 books that I haven't read. 

• Subscriber

I probably used to be a bit addicted to Facebook but not anymore. I only use it for messenger and open the actual news feed up once a week if that.

Twitter I have used heavily at times but never been addicted.

The rest, nah, never had Instagram.

Facebook is one of the ones I'm glad that I no longer use as much as I did. The time spent on it didn't really give me anything in return.

If I've got nothing to do and I'm looking to fill time, it'll usually either be Instagram or Reddit (which technically isn't a social media, but gets called one).

On 21/11/2018 at 04:16, Tommy said:

Hey man. Interesting subject. At various points I’ve implemented a policy of putting my phone down at the front door when I enter the house, and then not touching it until I’m lying in bed that night. 

I’ve found it to have an overall positive effect as personally I dont find it that fulfilling to be scrolling around on my phone and it ultimately resulted in me directing my free time into other things, like picking up a book, or getting out of the house more. That said in small doses its not a bad thing to use. In moderation all things are good. The bad thing I think is  in over-use the person is coached away from getting out and about more because they are glued to a screen, and when in a room they are trained to the habit to tune out of the situation they’re in, and into their phone, and similarly are always waiting for those “ping” notifications which give that dopamine hit but fragment the brain a bit.

Shutting out distractions I think is a good part of being productive at work, and being more engaged in what it is you are doing.

• 1 year later...

I'm more addicted to this place than anything on internet, but this type of addiction is accepted like caffeine

Haven't used facebook about six months ( i think my account is gone now )

Never used instagram, twitter yes i think sometimes i needlessly spend my time on it but it's not like addiction when i don't have anything to do i just keep scrolling on my TL.

I'm not too bad to be fair. I will normally give them all a look a few times a day, and maybe 5/10mins at a time.

Facebook I have down to a tee now. I have adjusted the settings to make sure I don't see posts from people that go on a bit (even if they are friends) and it's nice to keep up to date with those I don't see regular. 

I am a lurker on Twitter. It serves it's purpose for me, purely all about Leeds, and that is all I really care about on there. I am not arsed about political opinions and I have no time for the pretentious tweets that come from girls or lads up themselves.

And don't get me started on the people that spell as they would talk. Blocked. 

I liked Instagram from a photography point of view, especially if you capture some nice shots worth showing.

However, I got massively put off Instagram when all I seemed to keep seeing was celebrities showcasing their 'best life' which wasn't relatable to the average person in the slightest, especially when they get so much dome for them

Too many people get hooked on what the perfect life should be and it makes them down when that shouldn't be the case.

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I liked Instagram from a photography point of view, especially if you capture some nice shots worth showing.

However, I got massively put off Instagram when all I seemed to keep seeing was celebrities showcasing their 'best life' which wasn't relatable to the average person in the slightest, especially when they get so much dome for them

I mentioned it to @Pyfish in the photography thread earlier I think, but consider 500px if you want the instagram alternative which is purely about sharing your best shots and has no celebrities, influencers, rich wannabies or any of the other crap that makes Instagram annoying. I initially started using it as I simply wanted a place to quickly upload my photos in order to have the best ones in one place, but got more active afterwards as the community is great and there are some great shots posted regularly.

17 minutes ago, nudge said:

I mentioned it to @Pyfish in the photography thread earlier I think, but consider 500px if you want the instagram alternative which is purely about sharing your best shots and has no celebrities, influencers, rich wannabies or any of the other crap that makes Instagram annoying. I initially started using it as I simply wanted a place to quickly upload my photos in order to have the best ones in one place, but got more active afterwards as the community is great and there are some great shots posted regularly.

Oh really?

Fair do's I'll give it a look cheers!

• The title was changed to Social Media

Archived