• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Social Media

football forum

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, MUFC said:

People posting each day how many steps they've done and the number of calories burned through the day.

I did that once. But only because I was proud of my 40k steps that day. xD

I just heard the most dumbest comment on Facebook ever. I said that I'm a celebrity is cruel because they eat bugs alive. They actually don't anymore but as you will see it doesn't really matter in the context of the discussion.

Someone said that they were just bugs. I said that they were still animal's that had feelings. He said how did I know definitely🙈

I dont have to prove a bug feels pain and distress. You cant just say its ok because it might  not feel anything. Anyway I think scientists do think they probably feel pain and get distressed anyway. 

@MUFC its  not just young people alot of people 40 plus are on their phones all the time. Older people didnt have phones like we do  now with all the stuff they do. If they did they probably would have been on them as much

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

What's your view on the impact social media has had on message boards/forums? The first forum I used to go on was BBC sports forum in the late 90's. I used to post on the football and boxing forums and read the news related messages on that section. Back then it was ultra-packed beyond belief. I think it closed round about 2005 and people split onto other forums. Some members of the boxing section rustled up money and created a message board. It's died down now and has around 8 active posters per day.

I also used to go on other message forums after the closure of the BBC forums. What I not iced around 2006 was how busy these forums were. It was crazy as anything. But they all seemed to have declined slowly at the same time and at the same pace. It's a shame because they were really good forums and you met many interesting people on there.

As social media gained strength, forums slowly declined in my opinion. I find the method and layout on Facebook to be dogshit to be honest. On forums at least you can search topics and have categories and sub-categories. This forum is one of the few that are still busy, was it heaving back in the day?

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

A very interesting article about the impact that social media and constant connectivity in general has on the brain, attention span, and our ability to concentrate and focus. 

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/jan/02/attention-span-focus-screens-apps-smartphones-social-media

Worth a read.

Definitely worth a read. Thanks for that.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Definitely worth a read. Thanks for that.

It's apparently an excerpt from his upcoming book which is about to be realeased on January 25th... Considering pre-ordering it, as first reviews are phenomenal.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's apparantely an excerpt from his upcoming book which is about to be realeased on January 25th... Considering pre-ordering it, as first reviews are phenomenal.

I'm going to give it a read too. Its not new science considering we've had documentaries and countless articles written on the same but what was interesting to me was how our minds dont truly multi-task but use jump-gates to give the perception of how we process information. 

On 15/11/2021 at 12:53, MUFC said:

People posting each day how many steps they've done and the number of calories burned through the day.

Lol you post on here every day mate. Not social media  it very similar 

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Lol you post on here every day mate. Not social media  it very similar 

I do, but my post wasn't anything against social media.

On 15/11/2021 at 12:53, MUFC said:

When I used to run daily I'd post my routes, distances and times because I believed it gave me extra motivation.

It was only when I seen a meme of a map and a route that spelt out "nobody fucking cares" that I realised people hated it.

Then I actually thought about it and I realised, social media is your platform, it's for you to decide what you post and if others don't like it they should just stop following you.

I view other people using it in the same way as their way to motivate themselves as well.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Devil said:

When I used to run daily I'd post my routes, distances and times because I believed it gave me extra motivation.

It was only when I seen a meme of a map and a route that spelt out "nobody fucking cares" that I realised people hated it.

Then I actually thought about it and I realised, social media is your platform, it's for you to decide what you post and if others don't like it they should just stop following you.

I view other people using it in the same way as their way to motivate themselves as well.

Each to their own mate. If it motivates people then fair play. My motivation is what I see in the mirror, but each to their own.

Just now, MUFC said:

Each to their own mate. If it motivates people then fair play. My motivation is what I see in the mirror, but each to their own.

Of course there is the appearance as well, but it used to give me an extra push to know I'd set a PB to post.

Having Strava now you don't need to post it on social media because it's kind of its own social media. 

Do you take your unusual interests on to social media as well?

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Devil said:

Of course there is the appearance as well, but it used to give me an extra push to know I'd set a PB to post.

Having Strava now you don't need to post it on social media because it's kind of its own social media. 

Do you take your unusual interests on to social media as well?

Being honest, only form of social media I use if Facebook. But I only use it for the buying/selling groups. It's really good, is free and no fees like Ebay. Am in around 80 buying and selling groups. You can use it if you sell on Ebay. Just use it do divert traffic to your Ebay account.

During the first lockdown in the UK. My uncle had loads of wood for sale. He told me to sell it and keep the money as he required space. The condition of the wood wasn't good or bad. But as there was a shortage of materials in the UK. I managed to get around £360 but round 70 long pieces.

I think I've swayed from the topic 🤣

1 hour ago, Devil said:

Yeah other people can either not follow you or mute your stories if it annoys them that much, fuck em - it's your social media post.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived