talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Let's make something clear...

football forum

There are 2 things that are Peruvian...

Pisco

Potatoes

So to all the Chileans and the Irish, stop taking credit for our work. It's ours. 

That is all.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SirBalon said:

Don’t start mate... You could already be ruining your thread 3 posts in. 

What did I say that was wrong though xD

I can't remember if we have anyone Irish here, and the forgettable part is a joke, which I'm sure the Irish take as banter.

• The title was changed to Let's make something clear...
  • Subscriber

The potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) has its origins in South America.  Incans grew, ate, and even buried them with potatoes with their dead.  However, they did not exist in Ireland until 1589 when British explorer Sir Walter Raleigh brought them back from South America and planted them at his estate in Ireland at Myrtle Grove, Youghal.  Legend has it that Sir Raleigh made the potato a gift to Queen Elizabeth I, and she, in turn, hosted a royal banquet which featured the potato in every course of the meal.  Unfortunately, the cooks didn’t have experience with the potatoes and threw out the tubers (what we eat and usually picture a potato as being) while they kept and cooked the leaves and stems (Stradley 2004).  As with other members of the family Solanaceae such as nightshade, the leaves or stems are poisonous (Volk 2001).  The royal banquet attendees became deathly ill, and as a result, the potato was banned from further use (Stradley 2004).

Just now, Blue said:

You seem awfully annoyed. Must be jealousy. After all, you were just a prison :ph34r:

Am sick of this Peru stuff, you’re probably from Los Angeles or something. 

I learned a fact about potatoes though to be sure to be sure. 

2 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Am sick of this Peru stuff, you’re probably from Los Angeles or something. 

I learned a fact about potatoes though to be sure to be sure. 

You learn something new every day ;)

In truth I made this thread because of a tweet I saw on Pisco being Chilean, only for the lad to get torn apart. I also remembered an arguement I had with an Irish a few years ago about potatoes. It's all a joke though haha

Although as Harvey said it should be fairly obvious that not a lot of it was from Europe.

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

You learn something new every day ;)

In truth I made this thread because of a tweet I saw on Pisco being Chilean, only for the lad to get torn apart. I also remembered an arguement I had with an Irish a few years ago about potatoes. It's all a joke though haha

Although as Harvey said it should be fairly obvious that not a lot of it was from Europe.

I can’t say I’ve ever spent time thinking about the origins of plants used in many European dishes. But, I may now do so. 

I will eventually get to Peru and we can have a beer to discuss further. 

1 minute ago, Toinho said:

I can’t say I’ve ever spent time thinking about the origins of plants used in many European dishes. But, I may now do so. 

I will eventually get to Peru and we can have a beer to discuss further. 

Just make sure you recognize Pisco here as ours. If so you will be trouble free.

;) 

2 minutes ago, Toinho said:

You should. I had my mind blown when someone told me the Italians only started using tomatoes around 120 years ago. It's practically in absolutely everything they eat :ph34r:

The Italians didn't even invent pasta (apparently it was the Chinese) and I was told by the local rabbi that Fish & Chips was invented by a Jewish person (I said, a British Jewish man and he answered, really?).

Never bothered to check any of it using the web...

But who cares who discovered the first ingredient of whatever edible product in the food chain.  It's all about who made it the delicious by-product used in cuisine today.  That's where the importance in food is.

Lets also make something clear

It was not the British who brought Milk Tea to the sub continent rather it was the other way around. Punjab is a very fertile part of the sub continent being the backbone of crops and dairy production. Milk, Ghee, Butter are compulsory for the people so when something like Caffeine was brought to them they even blend in their dairy cuisine in it. 

Archived