talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

A Shift in the Opinion on Height?

4 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Not sure if you could classify some of these as great or not but there are more than likely more around I have missed...

Zlatan Ibrahimovic 6" 5, Gerard Pique 6" 4 1/2, Nemanja Matic & Joel Matip 6"4, Robin van Persia 6" 2, Iker Casillas 6" 1, Edison Cavani 6" 0 and maybe a few more. 

I think that tells us the story when we consider the greatest players of all time.

I live Van Persia though. xD

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

56 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

6ft is tall in my books but obviously not unusually tall.

But aside from that... It would be interesting to generate a list of the greatest player 6ft and above in history versus under 5.9ft

6' is a weird height. I'm 6' and sometimes I feel tall as fuck, while other times it's the complete opposite.

An example was the other week in KFC. Pretty much everyone in there were Chinese, so I felt like an absolute giant, but then I was talking to 2 joiners on site the other week and since they are both about 6'6", I felt like a midget. Funnily enough, both of them were only about 19. I don't know what they feed these young ens these days....

Cruyff was 5'11 apparently, which isn't at all tall to me. That's average, if not even below average for a northern European.

Van Basten, Rijkaard, Pique, Maldini, Gullit, Ibrahimovic are all some of the sincerely tall players I'd say are among the best ever.

Edit: Giacinto Fachetti was like 6'2, wasn't he?

2 hours ago, Inverted said:

Cruyff was 5'11 apparently, which isn't at all tall to me. That's average, if not even below average for a northern European.

Van Basten, Rijkaard, Pique, Maldini, Gullit, Ibrahimovic are all some of the sincerely tall players I'd say are among the best ever.

Edit: Giacinto Fachetti was like 6'2, wasn't he?

6'3

He was a giant 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

6' is a weird height. I'm 6' and sometimes I feel tall as fuck, while other times it's the complete opposite.

An example was the other week in KFC. Pretty much everyone in there were Chinese, so I felt like an absolute giant, but then I was talking to 2 joiners on site the other week and since they are both about 6'6", I felt like a midget. Funnily enough, both of them were only about 19. I don't know what they feed these young ens these days....

Im'e 5"9 and my son now who is 44 years old is bloody 6" 3 when he was 10 years old I would look down at him and say "Son..." now I have to look up at him (and his hairy nostrils) and say "Son..." fuck, I feel like a midget too. O.o 

19 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Im'e 5"9 and my son now who is 44 years old is bloody 6" 3 when he was 10 years old I would look down at him and say "Son..." now I have to look up at him (and his hairy nostrils) and say "Son..." fuck, I feel like a midget too. O.o 

If it's not too impertinent, how old are you mate?

6 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

69 buddy, but as they say "Old enough to know better but young enough to do it again"  :ay:

You've seen a lot of football mate, a lot of great football and legends of the game.  I take my hat off to you in return...  :ay:;)

3 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I'm 6'3 and I sometimes don't even feel tall. Idk if I just know a lot of tall people but I rarely get the sensation of being particularly tall.

I had a flatmate in Denmark who was 6'7.

I understand why you see 6ft as not particularly tall now. xD

23 hours ago, SirBalon said:

That's not correct and part of the reason why in some countries it's taken longer to understand that it isn't correct.  There aren't any more tools from a physical standpoint on height and stature.  Technique and body positioning can overcome practically every opposing  physical difference.  Look at Messi's intelligence in the Champions League Final headed goal versus Rio Ferdinand of Manchester United.  Too much emphasis was originally put on a supposed error made by Rio in reading the situation for that goal and not enough (initially, because today it's understood) on what Messi had cleverly done by not reading the play and instead reading his one-on-one opponent.

No, you're not correct. Messi has a max height he is capable of contacting the ball at. Literally every player capable of exceeding that height is capable of scoring goals that Messi can't. There are headers Cahill, Ronaldo, Crouch and whoever else have scored that Messi couldn't have. Being tall and or jumping real high aren't skills. He can't will himself to meet a ball 8 feet in the air, no matter how good he is. There would also have been times he was bullied off the ball or stopped in a run where otherwise he wouldn't have been if he were bigger and stronger. 

I didn't mention Messi in my original post because I didn't want to turn it into a Messi V Ronnie wankfest. But you've dragged me down to your level. Messi scores goals Ronaldo can't because he's so elusive and smart. Ronaldo scores goals Messi can't because he's big strong and would steal Messi's munch money and plow his mother were they at the same high school.

6 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

And so has my son buddy, I made sure of it and all of that, :ay:

Hide contents

181694_1796702193189_586326_n.jpg?_nc_ca

Bricktop, you have lost quite a bit of hair. 

@topic

To give a Liverpool example to this debate, Luis Garcia and Crouch. Crouch rarely scored any headers, let alone good ones. Luis Garcia was one of the best headers I have seen. I remember that goal he scored against Fulham at Anfield, when he was standing almost at the edge of the box. 

Height doesn't guarantee you good heading skills. 

7 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

No, you're not correct. Messi has a max height he is capable of contacting the ball at. Literally every player capable of exceeding that height is capable of scoring goals that Messi can't. There are headers Cahill, Ronaldo, Crouch and whoever else have scored that Messi couldn't have. You can't being tall and or jumping real high aren't skills. He can't will himself to meet a ball 8 feet in the air, no matter how good he is. There would also have been times he was bullied off the ball or stopped in a run where otherwise he wouldn't have been if he were bigger and stronger. 

I didn't mention Messi in my original post because I didn't want to turn it into a Messi V Ronnie wankfest. But you've dragged me down to your level. Messi scores goals Ronaldo can't because he's so elusive and smart. Ronaldo scores goals Messi can't because he's big strong and would steal Messi's munch money and plow his mother were they at the same high school.

Brought it down to my level? xD

The reason I mentioned Messi in my answer to you had nothing to do with Cristiano Ronaldo.  Infact I explained why I used him because I was writing about him versus defenders which tend to be those that are the biggest and tallest when playing any opposition.

But anyway...

I'll give you another one.  The midfield is the toughest part of the football pitch to dominate physically and especially the centre of midfield. Tell me how N'Golo Kanté at 5ft 6in manages to do that?

Now... So far the only aspect you've mentioned where height (not strength) is of a beneficial physical attribute is that the taller person can reach higher because he is taller. xDxD. Sorry mate, had to really laugh at that one and more so because you really put a lot of effort into your post in trying to explain to me how a taller person reaches higher with less effort than a considerably shorter person!  If only my math teacher would've thought of this to try and explain to me measurement differences. :dam:

There are NO more tools in the toolbox by a taller footballer on a shorter footballer!

I'm 5ft 10ins and I feel neither short or tall xD

I have to say that when I played football in my day (never got beyond Sunday League Hackney Marshes level), my size was never an issue even at that level where it's pretty physical based.  I played in central midfield and was smart enough to know how to position myself when force was used by a much bigger guy... He would end up fouling me by using his heavier physique.  Plus my lower centre of gravity made me turn and move quicker than a taller person, much quicker.

Archived