talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

A Shift in the Opinion on Height?

5 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Brought it down to my level? xD

The reason I mentioned Messi in my answer to you had nothing to do with Cristiano Ronaldo.  Infact I explained why I used him because I was writing about him versus defenders which tend to be those that are the biggest and tallest when playing any opposition.

But anyway...

I'll give you another one.  The midfield is the toughest part of the football pitch to dominate physically and especially the centre of midfield. Tell me how N'Golo Kanté at 5ft 6in manages to do that?

Now... So far the only aspect you've mentioned where height (not strength) is of a beneficial physical attribute is that the taller person can reach higher because he is taller. xDxD. Sorry mate, had to really laugh at that one and more so because you really put a lot of effort into your post in trying to explain to me how a taller person reaches higher with less effort than a considerably shorter person!  If only my math teacher would've thought of this to try and explain to me measurement differences. :dam:

There are NO more tools in the toolbox by a taller footballer on a shorter footballer!

You literally just conceded the point that a taller player can score more headers. Thus they have an extra tool. It's pretty simple.

As for Kante, height is independent of strength. You can be short and strong, or tall and weak. Kante is a little beast for his height. He also uses the other tools at his disposal to dominate the midfield area. His reading of the play, his speed and agility and skill on the ball and passing.

For someone who writes a lot of essays the fundamentals of constructing an argument seem lost on you.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You literally just conceded the point that a taller player can score more headers. Thus they have an extra tool. It's pretty simple.

As for Kante, height is independent of strength. You can be short and strong, or tall and weak. Kante is a little beast for his height. He also uses the other tools at his disposal to dominate the midfield area. His reading of the play, his speed and agility and skill on the ball and passing.

For someone who writes a lot of essays the fundamentals of constructing an argument seem lost on you.

But you ignored the rest of the post.  A smaller player has a lower centre of gravity enabling him to turn and move quicker in tight spaces.  So annulled!

19 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

Im'e 5"9 and my son now who is 44 years old is bloody 6" 3 when he was 10 years old I would look down at him and say "Son..." now I have to look up at him (and his hairy nostrils) and say "Son..." fuck, I feel like a midget too. O.o 

My "little" cousin now looks like a WWE wrestler. Things certainly change xD.

18 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

he's big strong and would steal Messi's munch money and plow his mother were they at the same high school.

To be fair, Messi would smash him I reckon. I can't think of a bigger muppet to have played the sport and I'd actually fancy some of the female footballers doing him in as well if we go off when he swings his fists at opposing players and throws a "hammer punch". Utter gimp man.

Most players are physically strong these days (not all obviously) but it's being smart, reading your opponent's next moves (in other words being smarter than him) that provides you with the knowledge on preparation coupled with spontaneous execution on your next move... That doesn't only count for the reading of the ball and your surroundings but also on using your body in such a way that the only outcome is followed by a foul or let him go...  How many times have we heard footballers that have played against Messi say that the only way to stop him is to foul him and even then at times you try to foul him and you can't even execute that because he's read you like a book.

He isn't the only one like that now or in the past, all the greats have had these attributes and all have excelled because of them and thus being considered greats of the game.  How many short players can we name that are in the halls of fame?

Another thing about small guys is that they've got a decent bit of power in them, it's actually surprisingly easy for them to unsettle and unbalance tall, physical centre backs. 

Some players, like Jerome Boateng for example, will take an aerial duel with a 6 foot shithouse all day, but actually struggle in duels with smaller, stockier players.

Archived