• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Qatar 2022 World Cup

football forum

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

With the Euros drawing to a close and thid now being England's next potential major, I suppose a question that's been in the background for years becomes prominent, if England qualify will you travel out to Qatar? 

If not is it due to the expense or due to Qatar as a nation?

I love the World Cup and have never been to one in person mainly due to cost, but I think. I'd be more interested in 2026 (although the format makes an issue of that) 

On 18/06/2019 at 15:21, Harry said:

I still maintain that an Arab world cup shared across the region could have been a deserving winner and offer something genuinely exciting and different.

Hopefully Euro 2020 has completely binned any idea of football tournaments being held across regions. 

34 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

Hopefully Euro 2020 has completely binned any idea of football tournaments being held across regions. 

The 2026 will probably have more traveling than this Euros. Although only three countries, the grounds are more spread out than the Euros mostly contained within Western Europe.

5 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

The 2026 will probably have more traveling than this Euros. Although only three countries, the grounds are more spread out than the Euros mostly contained within Western Europe.

Sadly a distinct possibility. The 2030 bid will be interesting, and we should know in the next few years if FIFA are coming back to sense. By 2030 it won't have been hosted in Europe since 2006 (I'm not classing Russia as Europe), so you'd hope we'd get a European tournament,. especially with the nonsensical continent hopping rule being killed off after Qatar where it was meant to go to each continent in turn. 

The 2030 bids from Portugal and Spain looks pretty good to be honest, two nations hosting seems the way forward rather than 3+ 

Just noticed this one. The matches are going to be selected to be optimised for television audiences, how the hell does this work with two teams in completely different areas of the planet.

Matches will only be assigned to particular venues after the finals draw, so organisers can choose optimal kick-off times to suit television audiences in different countries, as well as supporters out in Qatar.

The finals draw is scheduled to take place in April 2022, after the March window for international fixtures.

Unlike at Euro 2020, there will be a third-place play-off game on December 17.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Iran are going to get absolutely destroyed. With Canada canceling the friendly they had scheduled with Iran, Iran's likely going to play only 2 friendlies in preparation for the WC. Iran's FA (the FFIRI) is an absolute joke.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Iran have sacked their manager 

Maybe not, he's just posted this on instagram:

r/teammelli - Dragan Skocic full statement on Instagram: ‘Apparently a group has tried their best to exclude me from the national team. While congratulating them for their perseverance, I have a clear message for them:…..’

It's crazy to see the division play out on social media though. Players actively speaking out about whether they want Skocic or not... it's kind of ridiculous considering the turnaround Iran saw under Skocic.

I feel bad for him. It's not every day you see someone with his record for a country have to make a public plea for his job just a few months before he's meant to be taking the side to a world cup that he qualified for... getting pretty remarkable results considering the state his predecessor left the team in.

And Iran fans are equally as divided on him. Some have wanted him out basically as soon as Iran qualified. Others think that considering how poor of a job Wilmots had done... what Skocic managed to do in a short time with the Iran side in getting them to still have what ultimately was a fairly easy ride to the tournament... that he should be given the chance to finish the job now that he's qualified.

I think the Iran FA is trying to deflect some of the serious pressure that has been levied at them by fans and players in terms of the inadequate preparation for the upcoming world cup (arranging friendlies against opponents of similar quality to the group stages seems beyond them) and the shit facilities they have to use for training, to the lack of equipment (like balls and fucking kits) they provide to the national team. Rather than address these issues, I think they're just trying to create as much chaos as possible.

And then when the most talented Iran side on paper has an embarrassingly shite tournament... they'll point at all that instability and say "well what did anyone expect?" Even though it's their fucking fault.

• 2 months later...

I'm watching Japan vs USA right now and Japan is a well organized squad. They always are. They have always been a tough out, they play as a unit. Japan is a team you'd do well to simply avoid..they always take points at the World Cup..

They're in a group with Germany and Spain so their group is difficult and Costa Rica is also a wild card and very capable of results..but Japan won't be walkovers either..

The U.S. are behind in the match right now, it's half time...and, they look listless. Which is exactly what an American squad is not. 

America plays England I think a day after Thanksgiving. It will be electric, there will be a lot of eyes on this game. Thanksgiving is a huge American sporting day to begin with...if you combine that with the World Cup, and the vs English rivalry...it will probably be one of the most watched football games of the year, and certainly will be the biggest football game of the year for Americans..

Well, insofar...

So...

Let's see if in the 2nd half the Americans can turn it on, if they are aware of the stakes they are about to face, ... and, what adjustments they are going to make. They have 1 of the biggest games of the World Cup..and I think they will be up for it in the end, but Japan are a worthy opponent as well..and a good barometer.

This is a confidence match more than anything.

On 16/09/2022 at 06:35, Beelzebub said:

Despite the controversies I hope this a good world cup. I'm not keen on the new format and don't think I'll enjoy the tournament as such.

I love the world cup. More than anything I'd love  to see England win it. More than arsenal winning the quadruple. I dont know what it's like in citys with top teams but in bristol where I live there is nothing like it. The atmosphere is amazing 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived