talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Qatar 2022 World Cup

football forum

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

This is going to cause a backlash from Budwieser who have a contract to sell beer in the stadiums during games.. 

Qatar bans beer from World Cup stadiums after 11th-hour U-turn (msn.com)

To be honest though, Budweiser isn't really beer in the first place, so they shouldn't be affected... 

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, 6666 said:

This is the least controversial controversy to do with the world cup. I guess it's at least more real than "sports washing"... 👀

19 minutes ago, Stan said:

Football without beer is still football, really.

No beer isn't the end of the world for anyone going.

This is more about the very quick Government style late turn around on what was previously agreed and about the impact this will have from one of their main sponsors than it does about whether people get to drink in stadiums or not... 

Along with the banning of rainbow flags, telling gay men to stay at home and women to cover up it's another indicator that we are going there and bending to their culture. We are putting their culture on a level playing field with our own. It's one thing to let them into your own country, it's another to hold their culture up as one to be respected.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

This is more about the very quick Government style late turn around on what was previously agreed and about the impact this will have from one of their main sponsors than it does about whether people get to drink in stadiums or not... 

I know mate. Generally people seem pissed they can't get pissed at the game. 

2 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Along with the banning of rainbow flags, telling gay men to stay at home and women to cover up it's another indicator that we are going there and bending to their culture. We are putting their culture on a level playing field with our own. It's one thing to let them into your own country, it's another to hold their culture up as one to be respected.

Tbf when you visit a country, you should be respecting the local culture...

Idk wtf anyone expected with this World Cup. Of course beer would be prohibited, regardless of their previous guarantees - it's fucking Qatar.

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Idk wtf anyone expected with this World Cup. Of course beer would be prohibited, regardless of their previous guarantees - it's fucking Qatar.

This idea that it's there now so its right for men not to hold hands is a FIFA value I do not share.

Politicians without enough backbone to call out a country in the country they were invited to want you to think like FIFA. It makes them look good.

You can go there and disrespect their rules. There's no better time than the world cup to do so.

This world cup should be about humiliating their culture on their own turf. Rainbow flags everywhere.

1 hour ago, Honey Honey said:

You can go there and disrespect their rules. There's no better time than the world cup to do so.

They've got their own "morality police" though - you cold wind up in serious trouble tbh.

Idk I feel like anyone that opposed to conservative Arab culture should just not be going to Qatar in the first place. I don't really have a lot of sympathy for people that travel abroad and do things that are legal pretty much everywhere else, but then when they get to a country where what's normal gets you in prison... then they complain about it. Then they require western diplomats to get them out of the trouble they're in... which generally leads to those governments needing to pay a ransom.

Seems easier to just... not go & not watch the World Cup if anyone's that opposed to it. Rather than have them go and get arrested by some religious zealot "morality" police - and fuck knows what Qatar's justice system is... but I bet it's not that fucking just. Saves yourself some trouble and saves the UK some time and money when we've got bigger problems to worry about in the immediate future than rescueing football fans that were stupid enough to go to Qatar and think it would be a "normal" world cup.

10 hours ago, nudge said:

To be honest though, Budweiser isn't really beer in the first place, so they shouldn't be affected... 

That’s Budlite. Budweiser is actually kind of hard to find and just tastes like a regular pilsner albeit a little too sweet. It’s no worse than any Euro macrobrewery. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This isn’t just ‘visiting’, this is Qatar inviting the world. If this was a regular tourist visit I agree but this isn’t, it is a worldwide festival.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

This isn’t just ‘visiting’, this is Qatar inviting the world. If this was a regular tourist visit I agree but this isn’t, it is a worldwide festival.

Yeah that’s a fair point.

And they did tell FIFA a lot of lies and are backing out last second knowing it will go ahead anyways.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah that’s a fair point.

And they did tell FIFA a lot of lies and are backing out last second knowing it will go ahead anyways.

I also don’t believe they will sell beer. I think that is a stone cold lie, how are they going to get the beer in two days? Cans maybe in a fee weeks but there is no way they’ll have a draught system in two days.

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They've got their own "morality police" though - you cold wind up in serious trouble tbh.

Idk I feel like anyone that opposed to conservative Arab culture should just not be going to Qatar in the first place. I don't really have a lot of sympathy for people that travel abroad and do things that are legal pretty much everywhere else, but then when they get to a country where what's normal gets you in prison... then they complain about it. Then they require western diplomats to get them out of the trouble they're in... which generally leads to those governments needing to pay a ransom.

Seems easier to just... not go & not watch the World Cup if anyone's that opposed to it. Rather than have them go and get arrested by some religious zealot "morality" police - and fuck knows what Qatar's justice system is... but I bet it's not that fucking just. Saves yourself some trouble and saves the UK some time and money when we've got bigger problems to worry about in the immediate future than rescueing football fans that were stupid enough to go to Qatar and think it would be a "normal" world cup.

It's not about people being stupid thinking this is normal. It's about deliberate targeted protest.

At this stage not watching and not going might make an individual feel better about themselves but for the collective that's going to be a complete and utter failure of a strategy. The boycott window was long ago and we missed it. Non compliance and targeted protest of those there is now the only way to salvage something out of this. If you don't watch in conjunction with that happening out there then great, extra effect, but if you don't watch and this doesn't happen out there then so what. Well done McDonalds overspent on their advertising costs because they over estimated viewing figures, pat yourself on the back.

Fair enough you'd need some balls on ya as a lone fan or two, but you don't need balls on ya if you're a player or representative or in a tv studio over there. They have to take the lead.

The morality police stepping out of line is exactly what would bring this world cup down. They are at their weakest at this event and it's a tinderbox to see if they are bluffing. That's why FIFA want you compliant because this could humiliate them forever. 

If England, Germany, Netherlands, France and the likes have compliant players, representatives, fans, then Qatar wins. Their culture becomes seen as equal to its population and a lesson they take is that there is a place in this world for their rotten ideas. Whereas role models like Gary Neville ( 😂 ) singing I'm coming out whilst waving a rainbow flag is a long game attempt to promote inward reflection for the Qatari audience and youth. If those going there don't bang the drum at them we've failed to salvage anything from this FIFA mistake.

This world cup is happening whether we like it or not. So how will history remember it? Those there will determine that now. They need to be made cognisant of that. They need to know it's all on them now. It's not a low viewing figure for Qatar vs Ecuador. The pictures and images that last, that are the legacy of this, that is up to them.

10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

This clown. 

This line from him

“What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends. Don’t start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging. And this is what we should be doing.”

Half right. The Blair led strategy is to engage, that's right, however part of that, a big part, the purpose of engaging is to give them exposure to our culture and values in the hope that they eventually see the light and adopt them.

FIFA however want us to shut our values off for 3 weeks.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

This line from him

“What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends. Don’t start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging. And this is what we should be doing.”

Half right. The Blair led strategy is to engage, that's right, however part of that, a big part, the purpose of engaging is to give them exposure to our culture and values in the hope that they eventually see the light and adopt them to.

FIFA however want us to shut our values off for 3 weeks.

Links to what you said in the other post though - create the exposure to cause the inward inflection of Qataris themselves. 

I'd love to see the rainbow flags and protest banners in the stadiums throughout the world cup. I think even if it's for a split second in a TV camera shot it will have an effect. I suspect there'll be heavy-handed policing of it all though. 

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Spike said:

That’s Budlite. Budweiser is actually kind of hard to find and just tastes like a regular pilsner albeit a little too sweet. It’s no worse than any Euro macrobrewery. 

It's was just a poor attempt at a joke based on American beer stereotypes, no need to dissect it and expose its flaws :( xD

In all seriousness though, I'm quite surprised that Budweiser is supposed to be kinda hard to find. It's available readily at supermarkets here in my neck of woods! I had it only once a few years ago I think, and personally, it's way too sweet and under-hopped for me. Must be using quite a bit of rice, I'd guess? Or is it corn? I have no idea if that even makes sense, but the sweet and under-hopped profile is similar to many Asian beers that use rice extensively. Taste-wise, it's a major pet peeve of mine, and also the reason why I generally prefer generic Euro macro beers to their Asian counterparts (or Budweiser). 

This talk also made me buy a four-pack of Czech Budweiser at the store just now xD

On 14/11/2022 at 19:26, nudge said:

Probably the remaining migrant workers that didn't die from heat exhaustion and dehydration. Imagine the humiliation of surviving slave labour only to have to pretend to be an England fan :ph34r:

Well, the allegation(which the Qataris deny apparently), is that these Indian migrant workers are being paid by the Qataris to go and support every team at the World Cup and have assigned different fan groups for each team. Either that, or the Indian workers have a real spontaneous passion for football, and each have their own favourite national team that they fanatically support at the World Cup. Even Costa Rica have apparently got their own big group of avid Indian migrant supporters. 🤐

4 hours ago, nudge said:

It's was just a poor attempt at a joke based on American beer stereotypes, no need to dissect it and dispose its flaws :( xD

In all seriousness though, I'm quite surprised that Budweiser is supposed to be kinda hard to find. It's available readily at supermarkets here in my neck of woods! I had it only once a few years ago I think, and personally, it's way too sweet and under-hopped for me. Must be using quite a bit of rice, I'd guess? Or is it corn? I have no idea if that even makes sense, but the sweet and under-hopped profile is similar to many Asian beers that use rice extensively. Taste-wise, it's a major pet peeve of mine, and also the reason why I generally prefer generic Euro macro beers to their Asian counterparts (or Budweiser). 

This talk also made me buy a four-pack of Czech Budweiser at the store just now xD

Well I mean it is hard to find on draught or at bars, not that I’m looking for it but I can’t recall a time seeing it available on draught. The grain build has rice, so you are right about that

Archived