talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Qatar 2022 World Cup

football forum

19 hours ago, Michael said:

I thought it was clearly stated by the authorities in Qatar that homosexuals and everyone else would be welcome at the World Cup? In their religion as in mainstream Christianity, the act of homosexuality is a sin. But they have said people can come over, regardless of their sexual orientation or their religious beliefs. It seems that some people would not like any World Cup to be held in any muslim majority country, this in my opinion, is unreasonable. Muslims, just like most other groups of people, have some of the most educated and kindest individuals amongst them.

By the way, just because we are both Westerners, does not mean that we hold the same values or ideals of course, but don't worry, I am not going to hate you for that. I know plenty of educated Western friends, be they Christian or not, who do not agree with the act of homosexuality for example. My personal opinion is each to their own. But we are going to get varying opinions and outlooks everywhere, the point is we should try and be understanding to others as much as we can and find some common ground.

The head of security said that although foreigns wouldn't be discriminated for being gay by the state for this little 3 week spell, those gays still need to leave their rainbows at home or the locals might take it upon themselves to batter them. Very welcoming. Meanwhile locals are warned not to come out in this 3 weeks because once the foreigns are gone they could be persecuted for it.

But aye, please tell me again how speaking out on gay rights makes you an islamaphobe. Fuckin' hell.

Your post also seems to have cut off before you could tell us how filling your friendship group with wronguns and never confronting them led you to changing all their minds, so we should all be adopting that brilliant strategy of turning a blind eye. Is it because that never happened and gay rights just aren't a red line for you in your privileged straight cis life?

Do you pop around a paedo's house and say ooh I mustn't mention that paedo part, I shall find common ground by asking them what their favourite children's movie star is? That'll show 'em their paedo thoughts are wrong.

"Each to their own" is an expression people use when something personally disgusts or discomforts them but they haven't come to terms with it yet. It's not surprising you don't value gay rights when you speak of homosexuality in such expressions.

You have a Ukraine flag in your avatar. Shall we host the world cup in Russia, they'll let NATO countries in and then we'll all say absolutely nothing for 3 weeks? That sound reasonable to you?

How about we go back in time to Apartheid South Africa, have the world cup there but for 3 weeks only foreign blacks and foreign whites can mingle, not locals, everyone says nothing for 3 weeks then when it is all over we go home and they go back to apartheid persecutions. That sound like a reasonable world cup to you?

Maybe its that you can't see how hosting a world cup somewhere that needs to suspend persecution for 3 weeks is absolutely fucking insane that you think not wearing a rainbow on your upper arm is somehow the right thing to do.

Collective values are not determined by whether they have 100% adoption or not. So it's irrelevant if your individual value is not in align with the collective. 

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Danny said:

I do think this is the opportunity a lot of people/media have been waiting for to slate the England team.

Did they not say that it wasnt just a yellow card but match bans too?

Harry Kane claimed a match ban... but he also claimed a goal he didn't touch and swore on his daughters life. VVD confirmed they were threatened with yellow cards... yet still acted indignant about the criticism.

I think both Kane, Virgil, and anyone else talking about their pathetic back-down from their planned protest should just shut up and (to use a cringey quote) "take the L." Like Western governments, their support of human rights was only really until it was going to negatively impact them then they backed down. Meanwhile there are players at this world cup actually protesting human rights violations and putting their wellbeing and the wellbeing of their families at risk.

No need to keep grandstanding - admit you were only willing to protest as long as you were allowed to and stop pretending to champion human rights when the threat of a yellow card scared you off.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Is it just me or does this world cup seem to be being played at a higher intensity than previous tournaments? Perhaps because it is mid season the players have more energy 

Yeah seems like it, at least for most games seen so far.

At least, teams seem to start off quite quickly and on the front foot. Probably in the knowledge that it'll become a bit of a grind especially in the heat.

Only a couple of games so far have been slow-paced for most of it. 

6 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Is it just me or does this world cup seem to be being played at a higher intensity than previous tournaments? Perhaps because it is mid season the players have more energy 

Not sure how much is the 'winter' & air conditioning.

And how much is mid-season for the majority.

But it does seem quite high tempo from what I've seen so far.

6 hours ago, Stan said:

Yeah seems like it, at least for most games seen so far.

At least, teams seem to start off quite quickly and on the front foot. Probably in the knowledge that it'll become a bit of a grind especially in the heat.

Only a couple of games so far have been slow-paced for most of it. 

The Denmark Tunisia game was played at a high pace the whole game. Isn't something you would expect from Tunisia 

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

So what do we all think of all the added time? Personally I think its good as it is the fair amount of time. Not sure I'd say that of England were 1.0 up in a knockout though  😂

Glad to see it.

Too many times teams have time-wasted and taken the piss and refs are oblivious or ignorant to it. I like that these abnormally higher amounts are occurring. How it should be and hopefully stops teams from time-wasting from stupid times earlier in the game as they can't get away with it.

7 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

We are always told England players are knackered come the normal cups after a full season so personally  interested to see how we do at this WC happening mid-season.

On 22/11/2022 at 20:10, Faithcore said:

Regardless of whether you think that you are deliberately boycotting the tournament, I simply cannot understand how anyone could still possibly want to watch this ridiculous event under all these conditions.

Indeed. 

8 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

So what do we all think of all the added time? Personally I think its good as it is the fair amount of time. Not sure I'd say that of England were 1.0 up in a knockout though  😂

I think it's a good thing but it'll be interesting to see if they decrease the regular 90 minutes in the future. I've heard of the idea of doing real time stoppage time on podcasts from Gab Marcotti but he also had the idea of decreasing each half to thirty minutes and then adding real stoppage time on the end of it.

Archived