talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Qatar 2022 World Cup

football forum

I'm on mobile and can't post a link but there has been a recent gulf problem in Qatar, having ties cut by other Arabic countries accusing them of supporting terrorism. Airports and seaports closed, FIFA has began to look into the issue.

Germany have stepped in to discuss possibly being the host should Qatar be stripped.

I think if they really want it in Asia, they should look into China or Australia. If the time restraints are too low, then just do it in S. Korea/Japan again.

• The title was changed to Qatar to be Stripped of Hosting 2022 World Cup?
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

excellent if true. should never have been awarded it in the first place but we all know about the corruption within FIFA which allowed them to be voted for. 

A bit of an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't mind giving South Africa another chance. They are literally the only African country capable of hosting it and those stadiums built for 2010 were really only used for a month. I don't know if they use those grounds for league games but even then I can't see the attendance being higher than 40,000 on a consistent basis.

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to do it there and then not have to worry about Africa for time. If they really want it in Asia, China and Australia are my shouts but they will need to do some work.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

A bit of an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't mind giving South Africa another chance. They are literally the only African country capable of hosting it and those stadiums built for 2010 were really only used for a month. I don't know if they use those grounds for league games but even then I can't see the attendance being higher than 40,000 on a consistent basis.

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to do it there and then not have to worry about Africa for time. If they really want it in Asia, China and Australia are my shouts but they will need to do some work.

went to South Africa in October and a couple of stadiums are properly run down and infrastructure isn't that great. 

Don't get why UK can't go for it. Yes there's the terror attack risk but you're gonna get that anywhere nowadays, unfortunately. Same issues as France or Germany. 

Japan/South Korea is a good shout tbf. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

went to South Africa in October and a couple of stadiums are properly run down and infrastructure isn't that great. 

Don't get why UK can't go for it. Yes there's the terror attack risk but you're gonna get that anywhere nowadays, unfortunately. Same issues as France or Germany. 

Japan/South Korea is a good shout tbf. 

I know mate, there are negatives for doing it in South Africa, I agree. However they are a country that have done it recently and are almost prepared. They are a big tourist destination, have the stadiums that were built for 2010 and never used again, and it's a decent enough size for a 32 team WC. I'm on board with rotating the World Cup to every continent, but Africa is a big worry because many countries are extremely dangerous and they are rather small. If they want Africa out of the way for a few decades then doing it in South Africa again isn't a bad idea.

It can't host it if it starts tomorrow say, but they don't need as many resources or finances as other countries do since they recently hosted it.

South Korea and Japan are probably the safest bet to host it if they want to move it and keep it in Asia, but if FIFA do it quickly, Australia and China wouldn't exactly be dangerous bets.

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Who's faults that? They knew what they signed up to when they entered the bidding process. 

As much as it would be hypocritical of me to say considering I slammed the Germany idea but I'd be happy with a Japan/South Korea World Cup. The 2002 tournament was the first I can remember watching and the nostalgia would be amazing for me, not to mention the beautiful cities that the game would be played in. 

It's their fault, they should have known what was coming. They're there though, and again if FIFA want to not worry about African hosting for a while, South Africa is 70% prepared I'd say.

Its an unpopular opinion but since it's an emergency move, South Africa could be a good shout. At least for me anyways.

My picks would be

South Africa

South Korea and Japan

China or Australia (depending on time constraints)

Spain

UK is a good shout and as Stan mentioned, they are just as prone to terroriat attacks as the rest of Europe, but I've noticed it less in Spain so I can't help but think they'd also be a good destination, even though the Spanish government is a mess.

No to Australia. It isn't pheasible nor good for the country's economy. It is the same size as the staters with nearly a 1/15 of the population, the major cities are on one coast and only have few large stadiums, with many being suited towards cricket and AFL. The country has minimal interest, it is expensive to travel to, it has bad time zones for the Americas, Europe and Africa, the tournament would be on during the middle of rugby and AFL seasons and they'd do as much as possible to block TV and stadium rights, amongst other issues.

It absolutely should be stripped from Qatar. It should have never been awarded to Qatar in the first place, for a whole host of logistical reasons, as well as the fact that Qatar's stadiums will be built on the backs of slavery (as modern Qatar is), and they are state sponsors of terror. Those are moral and practical reasons why Qatar should not have been awarded it.

I think South Africa makes sense to host it on an emergency basis... but on a fairness basis they had it so recently, I don't know if it's justifiable. I think best case scenario would be to keep it in Asia. Japan/South Korea, China, or Australia if any of those are feasible would be fantastic. Even though China's got it's own human rights abuses and concerns, I think they're a hell of a lot better than fucking Qatar.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

No to Australia. It isn't pheasible nor good for the country's economy. It is the same size as the staters with nearly a 1/15 of the population, the major cities are on one coast and only have few large stadiums, with many being suited towards cricket and AFL. The country has minimal interest, it is expensive to travel to, it has bad time zones for the Americas, Europe and Africa, the tournament would be on during the middle of rugby and AFL seasons and they'd do as much as possible to block TV and stadium rights, amongst other issues.

I can see Australia hosting it sometime in my life. However, these are all very good points. 

I'd like to see it in the U.S. again.

Also, wouldn't mind it going back to Italy. That might actually get the Italian government off their ass. Japan will certainly have one as will China. It's just a matter of when, not if.

It won't be moved.

I'd love to see a World Cup in the UK, we'd be so well suited with the stadiums etc that we have, though with the current terrorist situation I don't think it'd be a good idea for us or any European country to host it this time around.

5 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

It's 2017.

It would be a premature to cancel a 2022 World Cup because Saudi Arabia want to deflect the heat onto someone else.

I was thinking it was in Qatar next year for some reason. My bad. As you were.

4 hours ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I'm on mobile and can't post a link but there has been a recent gulf problem in Qatar, having ties cut by other Arabic countries accusing them of supporting terrorism. Airports and seaports closed, FIFA has began to look into the issue.

Germany have stepped in to discuss possibly being the host should Qatar be stripped.

I think if they really want it in Asia, they should look into China or Australia. If the time restraints are too low, then just do it in S. Korea/Japan again.

It would be tears of joy for me for weeks if Australia got to host a world cup. The 2022 vote was so disappointing. We thought we had a compelling bid but obviously we underestimated the role politics and shady deals would play relative to offering a potentially great tournament and bowed out in the first round with a single vote. 

Can't see how we'd be awarded the tournament based on that. We don't have the money to buy the votes,  and we're not really a strategic market worth boosting by Fifa so all we could offer is huge stadiums full to the brim and a great atmosphere.

• 3 weeks later...

The only way Fifa could truly pot this behind them was to publish in full the Garcia report when it was first issued. 

They didn't and they'll never be clean and free of this type of press because of it. 

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

I don't think it will get stripped now unless of course something really catastrophic transpires in the next few months because leaving it for any later would probably put a lot of strain on the next nation that has to step up and host it. 

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

I don't think it will get stripped now unless of course something really catastrophic transpires in the next few months because leaving it for any later would probably put a lot of strain on the next nation that has to step up and host it. 

A combination of various European nations could do it with their etes closed.

The important thing is that no Middle East country gets it right now for many many reasons. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

A combination of various European nations could do it with their etes closed.

The important thing is that no Middle East country gets it right now for many many reasons. 

Think its a lot more complicated than just giving it to someone else at this stage. Something has happened behind the scenes a that no one is aware of (money exchanging hands, promises made, etc) and it is all shady from the surface but FIFA seems extremely reluctant to give up their decision on this. If something bad does happen in the Middle East and its highly likely that it will then this will all go down the drain very fast for Qatar hosting the WC and possibly anything else in the future. As for FIFA, to expect anything from them in terms of openness and transparency even after everything that has transpired in the last year is a considered illogical. Somewhere down the road this too will get exposed and they'll have to deal with it but for now it seems like Qatar is not going to be losing their WC bid and work is going on as normal (whatever they define as normal that is).

17 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Think its a lot more complicated than just giving it to someone else at this stage. Something has happened behind the scenes a that no one is aware of (money exchanging hands, promises made, etc) and it is all shady from the surface but FIFA seems extremely reluctant to give up their decision on this. If something bad does happen in the Middle East and its highly likely that it will then this will all go down the drain very fast for Qatar hosting the WC and possibly anything else in the future. As for FIFA, to expect anything from them in terms of openness and transparency even after everything that has transpired in the last year is a considered illogical. Somewhere down the road this too will get exposed and they'll have to deal with it but for now it seems like Qatar is not going to be losing their WC bid and work is going on as normal (whatever they define as normal that is).

Mate... We don’t have to go as far as to say the word QATAR! Anywhere in the Middle East is a big no no... Would you travel to the Middle East?

The whole thing is a sham! The way they got it is known full well that it was cash injected with big back handers. If they get it in the end then this is as bad and in line with all the hypocrisy lying in the background with trade deals with these animals.

Having something connected with the free world associated with medieval nations is wrong!

• The title was changed to Qatar 2022 World Cup
  • The topic was pinned

Archived