talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Qatar 2022 World Cup

football forum

The only way forward is for Qatar to be totally stripped of the tournament and no Gulf state should be considered.  If it has to be outside Europe, I'd like to see it somewhere like India, Australia or somewhere in that region.

As for Europe... Well Spain already have the infrastructure in place and partnering with Portugal would be great.  But England who haven't had it since 1966 would also be wonderful.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Still hoping something is going to be uncovered and this gets taken off them.

Too late now I'm afraid. If they do this, it would be the end of FIFA with the amount of lawsuits, and also the amount of worker deaths that there has been. It was the wrong pick to begin with but now they have to just go with it. It would be just as disastrous taking it away.

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

Too late now I'm afraid. If they do this, it would be the end of FIFA with the amount of lawsuits, and also the amount of worker deaths that there has been. It was the wrong pick to begin with but now they have to just go with it. It would be just as disastrous taking it away.

If corruption is proven then it must be. The only other scenario I can imagine is a safety one, there's a real likelihood Qatar could find itself involved in war before 2022.

13 hours ago, Azeem said:

Which country would do that ? The GCC has boycotted Qatar while their only friend in the Gulf right now is Iran which doesn't has the ability to host World Cup games and Iran's relation with the Western world. 

Not considering that mate. Just saying a singular bid from a country the size of Qatar should never have been entertained. 

FIFA president Gianni Infantino says the 2022 World Cup must be played in just 28 days even if it is expanded to 48 teams.

A 48-team competition within 28 days would likely require six games to be played on some days in order to fit the full 80-game format during the tighter schedule brought on by switching the tournament to November 21 to December 18 in Qatar.

FIFA will make a decision in March on whether to expand the tournament from 32 to 48 teams.

European leagues, who are already set to lose peak weeks from their season, insist FIFA cannot have any more days from their November 2022 schedule.

Infantino told reporters at FIFA headquarters that "we cannot make [the tournament] longer."

He added playing more games simultaneously "is not ideal."

With Qatar unable to host a 48-team event alone, Infantino acknowledges there's only a "certainly small" chance of sharing the World Cup with neighbouring countries.

I like it when the competition is expanded, the success of Euro 16 was what the likes of Iceland and Wales contributed (though 3rd place qualifying was mental, Portugal winning that competition is a low point for any competition that wants the group stages to be taken seriously). But there's a lot of good/decent European teams that can be expanded into the Euros...a 48 team World Cup however takes the piss. Too many nothing games.

14 minutes ago, Danny said:

I like it when the competition is expanded, the success of Euro 16 was what the likes of Iceland and Wales contributed (though 3rd place qualifying was mental, Portugal winning that competition is a low point for any competition that wants the group stages to be taken seriously). But there's a lot of good/decent European teams that can be expanded into the Euros...a 48 team World Cup however takes the piss. Too many nothing games.

Euro 2016 was abysmal. 

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

they really need a one term limit on the role.

Could be a good shout. As they are not accountable to any government or shareholders it seems that corruption, sexism, racism and homophobia isn't enough to force a resignation. 

• 2 weeks later...

:banana:

The World Cup is heading to the Middle East for the first time as a peninsula in the Persian Gulf will host the 2022 tournament!

For the first time ever, the World Cup will not be held during the months of May, June or July. FIFA has taken the decision to move the tournament to the cooler winter months and has confirmed a start date of November 21, 2022.

The competition will take place over a reduced time frame of 28 days and the final is due to be played on December 18.

Whether the 2022 World Cup will expand to 48 sides is still yet to be decided. If the number of teams were to increase, it is likely that Qatar will share hosting duties in the region, as the small Gulf kingdom only stretches 180km from one end to the other.

Qatar is planning eight new stadiums for the tournament. One has been completed, two more are due for completion this year, and the rest are scheduled to be finished by 2021. All of these stadiums are within 35 kilometres from the centre of the capital Doha and all will be air-conditioned.

Qatar is also set to relax laws on the consumption of alcohol to ensure they replicate the party atmosphere of past tournaments.

Watch this space!

• The topic was pinned
  • 4 weeks later...

FIFA president Gianni Infantino says a majority of national soccer federations are in favour of expanding the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to 48 teams.

Infantino said a decision would be made by March, although it was still not clear whether an enlarged tournament would be feasible as it would be "difficult" to stage in Qatar alone.

Qatar has been locked in a bitter dispute with Gulf neighbours Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Bahrain that has complicated the prospect of sharing matches in an expanded tournament.

Those countries, as well as Egypt, began a diplomatic and trade boycott of Qatar in June 2017, accusing it of supporting terrorism. Qatar denies the claims.

FIFA last year voted to increase the size of the tournament from 32 to 48 teams starting from 2026 but, since then, Infantino has been mulling the possibility of bringing the change forward to 2022.

I am genuinely losing interest in international football and the expansions of both the European Championships and now the World Cup have made me almost indifferent to it all.  I used to count the months remaining until the next big international tournament from the moment the previous one had concluded.  I now even miss viewing many qualification games and instead sit in my living room reading a book while it's going on.  Club football is slowly creeping into this same sentiment O have generated towards the international game.

There's just no substance to it all in my view anymore.

On 14/12/2018 at 16:15, SirBalon said:

I am genuinely losing interest in international football and the expansions of both the European Championships and now the World Cup have made me almost indifferent to it all.  I used to count the months remaining until the next big international tournament from the moment the previous one had concluded.  I now even miss viewing many qualification games and instead sit in my living room reading a book while it's going on.  Club football is slowly creeping into this same sentiment O have generated towards the international game.

There's just no substance to it all in my view anymore.

There is always the Asian Cup :hh:

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Finland forward Riku Riski has refused to travel to the team's training camp in Qatar due to ethical reasons.

DwZpHjqXcAAzrhI.jpg

Respect.

Would you say the same if he refuses to go to Myanmar because of the crisis going on there ?

• The title was changed to Qatar 2022 World Cup

Archived