talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mick McCarthy Set for ROI Job

football forum

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46289969

Manager Martin O'Neill and his assistant Roy Keane have parted company with the Republic of Ireland the FAI announced on Wednesday.

The pair took over the reins in 2013 and guided the Republic to the last 16 of the 2016 European Championships.

However relegation from the Uefa Nations League and a winless 2018 has ended their spell in charge.

The Republic finished bottom of Group B4 in the inaugural Nations League and won just once in their past 11 games.

"I would like to thank Martin, Roy, and the management team for the impact that they had with the Ireland team," said FAI chief executive Delaney.

"There have been many highlights during Martin's reign - none more so than Euro 2016 in France, which will live long in the memory of all Irish supporters."

Speaking after the scoreless draw in Denmark on Monday, O'Neill indicated that he wanted to remain in the job.

"I always have enthusiasm for the job but I'll speak with John and we'll see," said O'Neill, who has been in the role for five years.

"I speak to John. I speak to him after games. I think I'll probably be sharing the same flight home with him.

"If I don't do that there I'll have a conversation with him in the next few days or whenever it may be and it's always been the case."

The 0-0 draw in Aarhus means O'Neill's team has now gone four matches without scoring a goal and the Republic, now ranked 33rd in the world, failed to win a competitive match in 2018.

O'Neill handed international debuts to 12 players this year as the former Leicester, Sunderland and Celtic manager attempts to add to his squad ahead of the start of the Euro 2020 qualifying campaign.

The Republic will be among the third seeds for the European qualifiers following their relegation to Nations League C and it appears that the team's poor form and the dwindling attendances at the Aviva Stadium have prompted the FAI to take action.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't really blame them but Ireland is in a terrible state,  even the players that can play for Ireland wont commit as they are seeking better opportunities, something seriously wrong. Its like people are not proud of being Irish when it comes to Football. 

2 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Can't really blame them but Ireland is in a terrible state,  even the players that can play for Ireland wont commit as they are seeking better opportunities, something seriously wrong. Its like people are not proud of being Irish when it comes to Football. 

I think part of it is players not willing to work with Roy Keane. I've never seen somebody on such a quest to alienate himself from everybody.

I'm amazed they got new contracts in the first place. Martin O'Neill was clearly a very, very good manager in the nineties and the naughties. However near the end of his reign at Aston Villa you could see his limitations appearing, possibly through a failure to adapt. He replied heavily on big investment that really got Aston Villa in to a lot of problems. These limitations were very evident in his unsuccessful spell at Sunderland and now Republic of Ireland. I think unfortunately for him his time in management is up.

Roy Keane however was just baffling from the off set. Some of the stories of him at Ipswich Town and Aston Villa should have rang alarm bells immediatly. Youd think he would have tried to adapt after given this role but his feuds with Damien Delaney, Stephen Ward, Jon Walters and Harry Arter suggest otherwise.

The sad thing about this all is we will probably hear his bitter punditry a lot more often, but from a football perspective hopefully it's good riddance.

12 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think part of it is players not willing to work with Roy Keane. I've never seen somebody on such a quest to alienate himself from everybody.

I'm amazed they got new contracts in the first place. Martin O'Neill was clearly a very, very good manager in the nineties and the naughties. However near the end of his reign at Aston Villa you could see his limitations appearing, possibly through a failure to adapt. He replied heavily on big investment that really got Aston Villa in to a lot of problems. These limitations were very evident in his unsuccessful spell at Sunderland and now Republic of Ireland. I think unfortunately for him his time in management is up.

Roy Keane however was just baffling from the off set. Some of the stories of him at Ipswich Town and Aston Villa should have rang alarm bells immediatly. Youd think he would have tried to adapt after given this role but his feuds with Damien Delaney, Stephen Ward, Jon Walters and Harry Arter suggest otherwise.

The sad thing about this all is we will probably hear his bitter punditry a lot more often, but from a football perspective hopefully it's good riddance.

Well The FAI are to blame in all this, they are run so backwards, which kind of just sums up how Ireland is run in general.  They need to get someone in from the outside of a successful country who produces youth and reconstruct Irish football from top to bottom.   

15 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Well The FAI are to blame in all this, they are run so backwards, which kind of just sums up how Ireland is run in general.  They need to get someone in from the outside of a successful country who produces youth and reconstruct Irish football from top to bottom.   

They need somebody that modern footballers will respect and work with. Gareth Southgate is living evidence that there is not always a pressing need to employ somebody overseas.

• The topic was locked
  • Subscriber

Manager Martin O'Neill and his assistant Roy Keane have parted company with the Republic of Ireland.

The pair took over the reins in 2013 and guided the Republic to the last 16 of the 2016 European Championship.

However, they did not win a competitive game in 2018 and were relegated from Uefa Nations League Group B4.

"I thank Martin, Roy, and the management team for the impact they had," said Football Association of Ireland (FAI) chief John Delaney.

"There have been many highlights during Martin's reign - none more so than Euro 2016 in France, which will live long in the memory of all Irish supporters."

O'Neill, who leaves alongside his backroom team of Keane, Steve Guppy and goalkeeping coach Seamus McDonagh, signed a contract extension in January to remain as manager until 2020.

The FAI statement said the governing body's board would "meet promptly to discuss the process of recruiting a new manager".

O'Neill pays price for difficult 2018

After their World Cup 2018 qualification hopes ended in a humiliating 5-1 home defeat by Denmark, the Republic's inaugural Nations League campaign was plagued by poor results and a string of off-field incidents.

In September, midfielder Harry Arter pulled out of the squad for games against Wales and Poland following a row with Keane.

O'Neill defended his assistant after audio emerged of defender Stephen Ward apparently describing the incident which led to Arter's withdrawal.

Although Arter would return to the squad for October's fixtures, highly rated West Ham teenager Declan Rice has remained absent since September.

The London-born defender continues to consider whether to represent the Republic, for whom he has featured in three friendlies or England.

Relegation to the third tier of Uefa's new competition came as they collected just two points, scoring only once, in four games.

Speaking after Monday's scoreless draw in Denmark, O'Neill indicated that he wanted to remain in the job.

"I always have enthusiasm for the job but I'll speak with John and we'll see," he said.

"I speak to him after games. I think I'll probably be sharing the same flight home with him.

"If I don't do that there I'll have a conversation with him in the next few days or whenever it may be and it's always been the case."

The 0-0 draw in Aarhus means the Republic, ranked 33rd in the world, have gone four matches without scoring a goal and failed to win a competitive match in 2018.

Republic of Ireland results in 2018
L 1-0 v Turkey Friendly
L 2-0 v France Friendly
W 2-1 v United States Friendly
L 4-1 v Wales Nations League
D 1-1 v Poland Friendly
D 0-0 v Denmark Nations League
L 1-0 v Wales Nations League
D 0-0 v Northern Ireland Friendly
D 0-0 v Denmark Nations League

Euro 2016 the high point of O'Neill era

The appointment of O'Neill and former captain Keane in November 2013 was greeted by a wave of optimism among supporters following the decline of the team under Giovanni Trapattoni, which had seen the Republic slump to 67th place in the Fifa world rankings.

The new management duo had almost a year to prepare for their first competitive fixture and successfully steered the side to Euro 2016 after a qualifying campaign that featured a 1-0 defeat of Germany before beating Bosnia-Herzegovina in a play-off.

A famous win against Italy at the European Championship secured a last 16 match against tournament hosts France but they were beaten 2-1 in Lyon.

Veteran players Robbie Keane and Shay Given retired after the end of the tournament but the Republic made a promising start to their 2018 World Cup qualifiers before a scoreless draw against Wales triggered a run of four competitive fixtures without a win and the heavy play-off loss to the Danes, which ended their prospects of qualifying for Russia.

In his 55 games in charge, O'Neill had a win ratio of just over 34% with 19 wins, 20 draws and 16 defeats and he used a total of 65 players, including 28 international debutants.

The 66-year-old handed international debuts to 12 players this year as the former Leicester, Sunderland and Celtic manager looked to build a new-look squad for the start of the Euro 2020 qualifying campaign.

The Republic will be among the third seeds for the European qualifiers when the draw is made in Dublin on 2 December.

McCarthy and Kenny among possible contenders

Former Republic manager Mick McCarthy is already being linked with the job and, perhaps significantly, is available following his departure from Ipswich Town in April.

McCarthy guided the Irish to the 2002 World Cup finals and despite his infamous bust-up with Roy Keane on the eve of that tournament, remains highly regarded by the FAI.

Even before O'Neill's departure, there were voices in the Irish media saying that Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny should be next in line following his successes with the League of Ireland champions.

Kenny guided Dundalk to the domestic double this year and his side have won the league title in four of his five seasons in charge.

Brighton boss Chris Hughton, who won 53 caps during his Republic career, is also high in the betting but the FAI could face a difficult task in prising him away from the Premier League club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46289969

• The topic was unlocked
32 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Seen Neil Lennon and Stephen Kenny as well. But both are probably too young to leave their respective clubs jobs at the moment. Both are building good teams, and Kenny has been very successful after rebuilding his reputation.

I quite like Mccarthy as a fella but his football is notoriously dire isn't it, part of the reason O'Neill is on his way?

• Subscriber

Neil Lennon: Hibernian boss plays down Republic of Ireland job link

By Jordan Elgott

BBC Scotland

1 hour ago | Hibernian

_104460159_lennon-oneill.jpg

Neil Lennon and Martin O'Neill in 2005

Neil Lennon insists he is in "a very good job" at Hibernian as he played down being linked with the Republic of Ireland manager's job.

Lennon's former Celtic manager Martin O'Neill left the Ireland job this week.

The 47-year-old has been Hibs head coach since 2016, winning promotion to the Premiership the following year and and finishing fourth in the top flight.

"I'm flattered if there is a link, but I've not seen or heard anything," said Lennon.

"I'm in a very good job here and I'm just concentrating on that at the minute."

Former Northern Ireland midfielder Lennon also played under O'Neill at Leicester City.

"I'm sorry to see Martin go because he had such a big influence on my career, 10 years of playing under him as a player," added Lennon, whose side host Dundee on Saturday.

"He did some brilliant things with the Republic and I'm sure he'll come again. He's brilliant."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46318339

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

It would have been weird seeing Neil Lennon manage ROI anyway.

It would have been a disaster, he winds up opposition fans where they fling coins at him at SPL matches imagine him at International level winding fans up and what would happen then.  

• The title was changed to Mick McCarthy Set for ROI Job

Archived