Tottenham 3-1 Chelsea - Saturday 24th November, 2018

football forum

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Cicero said:

John Terry 2010-2014 - 20 league goals 

Willian 2014 - 2018 - 19 league goals 

Did you just compare the best English footballer of the past 2 decades with fucking Willian?

As I mentioned earlier Willian wasn't the worst performer Saturday for us and to scapegoat and single out individuals where there was a lot else wrong on Saturday is poor. However, it's clearly obvious we have an over reliance on certain players.

Nevertheless, Willian to me is what Pogba is to @DeadLinesman which shows clearly enough what I think of the player.

• Subscriber

Without doubt our best performance of the season - only disappointment was not converting our array of chances to really hammer them. Would have been nice to stick 5 or 6 past them as we should have but will settle with the dominant performance and 3 points.

Thought we were sensational - and as eloquently put above as usual by Luke we just seemed to be far more up for it than they were. We really set the tone from the kick off - we pressed them high, we got stuck in and we had an intensity to our game I haven't seen for a while.

It's absolutely no surprise to me that our best performance of the season came when the front 4 were Kane, Son, Eriksen and Alli. That is without doubt our best attacking quartet and we need to hope they can stay fit because it's as good as anybody in the league when they play like that. Kane was back to his unplayable self. When he dominates like that he's the most complete centre forward around, the focal point you need to hold the ball up, win fouls, bring others into play and obviously score. He should have had another couple too.

That was also the best I've seen Son play this year, he terrorised Luiz and Jorginho whilst Eriksen was pulling all the strings. Alli has adapted his game so well, he doesn't get the credit for being more than just a shadow striker but he's playing deeper and having far more influence on games. We really miss him when's out and he sets the press so well.

Special shout out to Moussa Sissoko too. He's been transformed over the past couple of months and is a valuable member of the squad. It certainly helps that he's getting a backing from the fans now that he didn't have before but turning into a cult hero. He works so hard, and that energy he gave us on Saturday was essential to allowing our front 4 to play. The tackle on Hazard after he made up about 10 yards ground was synonymous of the effort from him and the whole team, but really endeared himself to those there. He's definitely best in the middle of the park and not shoved out on the right wing where his technical deficiencies are more apparent.

It's absolutely no surprise to me that our performance at the weekend came with no Dembele and no Trippier #StortsKnows

Finally - it's nice for just one weekend for people to have sat up and taken note. We've been written off again this year, as ever, but apart from City we are as good if not better than all the teams in this league. We've had mass rotation this year, no signings, so many injuries, no stadium, the majority of our games away from home, with 14 home games still left this season - yet find ourselves 3rd and 5 points off top. We have not always been pretty this season but certainly effective, but now with players back from injury, we will hopefully go on our annual run around this time where we are at our best. North London derby next weekend too which is massive for our seasons, will happily take a point now if offered but optimistic about the direction we are heading in.

As for Chelsea, that was really disappointing from their perspective. Won't try and get a handle on the specifics because I think Luke and others have covered that very well - but they did not seem to be able to match our intensity. The game was won through the middle of the pitch and they just couldn't handle the press and the speed at which we played. Kante was anonymous out wide and Jorginho/Kovacic just seemed so slow around the pitch. Willian wasteful, Hazard ineffective and Morata no threat at all in front of goal. Luiz was a liability and whilst Kepa kept you in it he also seemed very shaky, which can be expected from young 'keepers in big games. I'm sure they will regroup and go back on a winning run, because there's loads of talent there, but I think we also showed weaknesses to Sarri. Lets hope he's not a quick learner and we didn't poke the beast, just as we did to Pep when we beat them a couple of years back.

1 hour ago, Storts said:

Without doubt our best performance of the season - only disappointment was not converting our array of chances to really hammer them. Would have been nice to stick 5 or 6 past them as we should have but will settle with the dominant performance and 3 points.

Thought we were sensational - and as eloquently put above as usual by Luke we just seemed to be far more up for it than they were. We really set the tone from the kick off - we pressed them high, we got stuck in and we had an intensity to our game I haven't seen for a while.

It's absolutely no surprise to me that our best performance of the season came when the front 4 were Kane, Son, Eriksen and Alli. That is without doubt our best attacking quartet and we need to hope they can stay fit because it's as good as anybody in the league when they play like that. Kane was back to his unplayable self. When he dominates like that he's the most complete centre forward around, the focal point you need to hold the ball up, win fouls, bring others into play and obviously score. He should have had another couple too.

That was also the best I've seen Son play this year, he terrorised Luiz and Jorginho whilst Eriksen was pulling all the strings. Alli has adapted his game so well, he doesn't get the credit for being more than just a shadow striker but he's playing deeper and having far more influence on games. We really miss him when's out and he sets the press so well.

Special shout out to Moussa Sissoko too. He's been transformed over the past couple of months and is a valuable member of the squad. It certainly helps that he's getting a backing from the fans now that he didn't have before but turning into a cult hero. He works so hard, and that energy he gave us on Saturday was essential to allowing our front 4 to play. The tackle on Hazard after he made up about 10 yards ground was synonymous of the effort from him and the whole team, but really endeared himself to those there. He's definitely best in the middle of the park and not shoved out on the right wing where his technical deficiencies are more apparent.

It's absolutely no surprise to me that our performance at the weekend came with no Dembele and no Trippier #StortsKnows

Finally - it's nice for just one weekend for people to have sat up and taken note. We've been written off again this year, as ever, but apart from City we are as good if not better than all the teams in this league. We've had mass rotation this year, no signings, so many injuries, no stadium, the majority of our games away from home, with 14 home games still left this season - yet find ourselves 3rd and 5 points off top. We have not always been pretty this season but certainly effective, but now with players back from injury, we will hopefully go on our annual run around this time where we are at our best. North London derby next weekend too which is massive for our seasons, will happily take a point now if offered but optimistic about the direction we are heading in.

As for Chelsea, that was really disappointing from their perspective. Won't try and get a handle on the specifics because I think Luke and others have covered that very well - but they did not seem to be able to match our intensity. The game was won through the middle of the pitch and they just couldn't handle the press and the speed at which we played. Kante was anonymous out wide and Jorginho/Kovacic just seemed so slow around the pitch. Willian wasteful, Hazard ineffective and Morata no threat at all in front of goal. Luiz was a liability and whilst Kepa kept you in it he also seemed very shaky, which can be expected from young 'keepers in big games. I'm sure they will regroup and go back on a winning run, because there's loads of talent there, but I think we also showed weaknesses to Sarri. Lets hope he's not a quick learner and we didn't poke the beast, just as we did to Pep when we beat them a couple of years back.

Great post but you're not better than us. I'd say City then Liverpool then Spurs (in that order) are the best in the league right now. 

19 minutes ago, José said:

#stortsKNOWS

The new contract fucked Kante's head big time! Like nick-nick said, he was anonymous. Spurs exposed Chelsea's weaknesses like Man Utd did a few weeks ago, only difference was that Spurs took advantage of the chances they had. 

Only difference is that Spurs actually outplayed us. United relied on Alonso faking an injury to get something. Only difference is that Spurs are battling for Top 4. United are battling for 7th against Bournemouth. 

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Great post but you're not better than us. I'd say City then Liverpool then Spurs (in that order) are the best in the league right now. 

You say this every year, and every year we finish above you. Until you finish above us, I'm not going to fall into the trap that the media like to, that because you've spent all this money you're the only threat to City etc. We've finished above you 8 of the last 9 years so yeah I'd say we are better. It could change of course but ultimately City are streets ahead of us all

1 minute ago, Storts said:

You say this every year, and every year we finish above you. Until you finish above us, I'm not going to fall into the trap that the media like to, that because you've spent all this money you're the only threat to City etc. We've finished above you 8 of the last 9 years so yeah I'd say we are better. It could change of course but ultimately City are streets ahead of us all

We are better now than we've been for a long long time. Our opinions on which team is better are obviously based on bias when in actual fact, there's really not that much in it. 

In all honesty though, I think we are slightly better both in terms of first 11 and in depth. 

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

We are better now than we've been for a long long time. Our opinions on which team is better are obviously based on bias when in actual fact, there's really not that much in it. 

In all honesty though, I think we are slightly better both in terms of first 11 and in depth. 

You say that every year! 

Im dealing in facts only, we’ve finished above you 8 of the last 9 years. We are and have been better than you. Could you finally have improved enough to get the edge over us this year? Quite possibly but until then I’m just going to go with what I know for sure other than our subjective opinions as you have said. 

People talk about our depth but we have been under strength all season and look at us. Much better than people give us credit for and as for our first 11, I think as we’ve seen they can beat anyone on their day.

Should be a great battle all season anyway 

20 minutes ago, José said:

xD better than Spurs? Boy they are heavily sipping that make believe Kool aid Klopp gives them. 

Well we are above them in the league, have scored more goals, have conceded less and we beat them at theirs. 

I'm not saying we blow them out of the water but any mug can see how much we have improved, even you Teso. 

2 minutes ago, Storts said:

You say that every year! 

Im dealing in facts only, we’ve finished above you 8 of the last 9 years. We are and have been better than you. Could you finally have improved enough to get the edge over us this year? Quite possibly but until then I’m just going to go with what I know for sure other than our subjective opinions as you have said. 

People talk about our depth but we have been under strength all season and look at us. Much better than people give us credit for and as for our first 11, I think as we’ve seen they can beat anyone on their day.

Agreed. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Storts said:

You say that every year! 

I got the impression you'd started the season slowly but perhaps it was just less exciting than other clubs (like you alluded to, the media perception plays a huge part). Kane did start slowly, Alli has been injured, less influential - perhaps both due to fatigue from World Cup? And obviously the lack of signings meant there was less attention to any new players like other clubs would have (Man City with Mahrez; Liverpool with Shaqiri, Keita) 

But it's results at the end of the day and the facts don't lie - until you'd just said I hadn't even realised it was as much as 8 of the past 9 seasons you'd finished above. This season it's just good to see at least 1 team keep up with Man City. I think this time last season they were already at least 5 or 6 points ahead of 2nd, absolutely strolling it. I think even they realise they'll have to work much harder to win it with Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea all willing to put up more of a fight. 

Even with this defeat, and only one win against the top six i think we should be in the top four by the end of the season. However we struggle against sides that have a go, as our defense is shocking. Sarri should consider giving Christensen a go, can't be any worse. Alonso is completely useless apart from the odd cross or free kick goal. Emerson isn't perfect but a bit of rotation wouldn't hurt us.

Bring fucking Kante back to defensive midfield

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

I got the impression you'd started the season slowly but perhaps it was just less exciting than other clubs (like you alluded to, the media perception plays a huge part). Kane did start slowly, Alli has been injured, less influential - perhaps both due to fatigue from World Cup? And obviously the lack of signings meant there was less attention to any new players like other clubs would have (Man City with Mahrez; Liverpool with Shaqiri, Keita) 

But it's results at the end of the day and the facts don't lie - until you'd just said I hadn't even realised it was as much as 8 of the past 9 seasons you'd finished above. This season it's just good to see at least 1 team keep up with Man City. I think this time last season they were already at least 5 or 6 points ahead of 2nd, absolutely strolling it. I think even they realise they'll have to work much harder to win it with Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea all willing to put up more of a fight. 

Yeah, I mean that's certainly true. We haven't been particularly exciting or impressive to watch which is where I think the perception of us has come from, but we have been remarkably efficient and considering the situation I listed earlier with the injuries, the away games etc. I think we've done brilliantly.

Eden Hazard 2018 season Stats

Mins with Giroud = 362 / Goals with Giroud = 7
Mins with Morata = 421 / Goals with Morata = 0

All started with United at home. For some obscure reason, Morata got the nod over Giroud. It was that moment where we started to slowly lose form. 

Coincidence? 

Archived