• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sol Campbell in Talks With Macclesfield to Become Manager

football forum

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Aye, I hope he gets another chance somewhere else.

Quote.thumb.png.ea961121ace811417258c69d549394d5.png

Campbell's relative on-field success at Macclesfield came amid off-field financial issues at the club.

Players revealed they considered boycotting their final game of last season in protest about unpaid wages after they were paid late for three consecutive months.

On Wednesday, six former Silkmen players defended their decision to lead a winding-up petition against the club, following criticism in a club statement.

The six players applied to dismiss the petition once their money had been recovered and said it was a "last resort". HM Revenue and Customs later took over the petition, which has been adjourned until 11 September.

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

He did a good job to be fair to him. I could see him getting an offer from maybe even a Championship club.

I hope so, he proved a lot of critics at his selection wrong and way off the mark.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I hope so, he proved a lot of critics at his selection wrong and way off the mark.

To be honest he did and didn't. I've never criticised his ability to manage - more his entitlement and bringing race into it all of the time, and in fairness, he's not the only one - plenty of times I saw people criticising clubs for not appointing the likes of Ryan Giggs as well when he'd shown no credentials.

Campbell can now say he's kept a team up against the odds in a situation where he probably isn't even being paid. I think better sides will be in for him and you can't begrudge him that even if I didn't like the way he initially went about it.

He’s done a very good job there, all things considered. One win in eighteen before he got there, wages not being paid either on time or at all and players threatening to go on strike and he’s managed to help them stay up, it’s a more than respectable start to his managerial career. 

I think he’s now due a stint at a more stable club to see what he can do. 

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, Dan said:

To be honest he did and didn't. I've never criticised his ability to manage - more his entitlement and bringing race into it all of the time, and in fairness, he's not the only one - plenty of times I saw people criticising clubs for not appointing the likes of Ryan Giggs as well when he'd shown no credentials.

Campbell can now say he's kept a team up against the odds in a situation where he probably isn't even being paid. I think better sides will be in for him and you can't begrudge him that even if I didn't like the way he initially went about it.

Agree with this. He acted very entitled but I would hope he's a little more grounded now. I certainly wouldn't begrudge him a job at another club to see what he can do.

Archived