talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sol Campbell in Talks With Macclesfield to Become Manager

football forum

• Subscriber

7 minutes ago | Macclesfield

League Two side Macclesfield Town are in talks with ex-England defender Sol Campbell about their vacant managerial position, reports BBC Radio Manchester.

The 44-year-old has never managed but recently worked alongside England U21 boss Aidy Boothroyd.

In 2014, he described the lack of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) managers in English football as a "sad indictment" of the game.

He has previously been linked with Grimsby Town and Oxford United.

Macclesfield are bottom of the English Football League having won just one of their opening 18 league games.

Assistant managers Danny Whitaker and Neil Howarth have taken charge since the sacking of Mark Yates on 8 October.

Former Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal centre-half Campbell made 646 first-team appearances between 1992 and 2011.

He once described himself as "one of the greatest minds in football" and claimed he would have been "England captain for more than 10 years" had he been white.

His recent involvement in the U21 setup was part of a Football Association plan to create BAME coaching placements "across all England teams".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46317002

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Sol Campbell in Talks With Macclesfield to Become Manager
  • Subscriber
6 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

It looks like this is happening. In 'advanced talks' now 

Sol Campbell: Macclesfield Town name ex-England defender as manager

14 minutes ago | Macclesfield

Former England defender Sol Campbell has been appointed as manager of Macclesfield Town, the bottom club in the English Football League.

It is the 44-year-old's first managerial position and he has taken charge with the Silkmen five points adrift at the foot of League Two.

Campbell played 73 times for England and appeared in six major tournaments.

He also won several domestic honours, including Premier League titles with Arsenal in 2001-02 and 2003-04.

Macclesfield were National League champions last season but have struggled on their return to the EFL, winning only two of their 19 league games so far this season.

BBC Radio Manchester reported on 23 November that Campbell had held initial talks with Macclesfield, and he was pictured on Tuesday arriving at the club's Moss Rose ground to finalise an 18-month contract.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46357879

3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Hell of a job he’s got on his hands there. As recent as last season players weren’t being paid on time and they’re adrift at the foot of League Two. He’s said in the past he’d drop down the divisions and he’s done so, so fair play to him. 

Exactly my thoughts. Won't stop the usual racists rejoicing in every defeat and hoping for his sacking.

19 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Exactly my thoughts. Won't stop the usual racists rejoicing in every defeat and hoping for his sacking.

I don't think you can attribute the inevitable schadenfreude to simply 'racists'.

Campbell is an obnoxious, know-it-all prick who clubs have rightly backed away from due to his toxic propensity to cry about the colour of his skin at any given opportunity.

Macclesfield really are in dire straits - that's surely the only reason they're willing to give this professional victim a chance in League management.  

1 minute ago, StefBWFC said:

I don't think you can attribute the inevitable schadenfreude to simply 'racists'.

Campbell is an obnoxious, know-it-all prick who clubs have rightly backed away from due to his toxic propensity to cry about the colour of his skin at any given opportunity.

Undoubtedly, he wanted to stand for office as a Conservative MP, plus his career behaviour shows him to be a man lacking in basic decency.

However, the tide of criticism of anyone black raising any question of racism does largely come from a place of at best risible ignorance and at worst outright racism (as in they don't like to see black people question anything about race and they should know their place). As such I'd quite like to see Campbell do well, not out of any care for the man but the fact it will annoy many wankers.

On 23/11/2018 at 11:22, Stan said:

At least this may shut him up about black people not getting jobs.

It does make me wonder how many black people do we know with managerial jobs. Not at a top level, but just in general.

This would be 4 for me now. Noel Sanvicente, Roberto Mosquera, and Clarence Seedorf the other 3.

On 28/11/2018 at 14:44, The Artful Dodger said:

Undoubtedly, he wanted to stand for office as a Conservative MP, plus his career behaviour shows him to be a man lacking in basic decency.

However, the tide of criticism of anyone black raising any question of racism does largely come from a place of at best risible ignorance and at worst outright racism (as in they don't like to see black people question anything about race and they should know their place). As such I'd quite like to see Campbell do well, not out of any care for the man but the fact it will annoy many wankers.

Can't disagree with the number (or lack of) black managers in the English game really, personally it's his manner of raising the topic which irks. 

However, as football managers are largely ex-pros, is there not an obvious correlation between the lower number of black players in the English league in the 80s/90s (in comparison to now), and the resulting low number of black managers? Give it 10 years or so when the current crop of all races retire, and there would surely be a higher percentage in management? (Rooney rule-esque positive discrimination directive aside). Just a thought, from my privileged white male position. 

• Subscriber

I'm interested to see how this goes. Sol Campbell is a former player like many other current managers but, admittedly through his own fault, every time he gets brought up in the context of a managerial job it turns into this tedious debate about racism and black managers.

Just gonna sit back and see how he does.

Between 2001 and 2004 Sol Campbell was one of the best defenders in the world. As was Rio, Nesta, Stam etc. He was quick, he was a tank, he was a leader, and one of the best players Wenger ever signed at Arsenal. He will unfortunately be tainted for the circumstances he has left every club that he played for in the naughties.

When you see the jobs Gerrard, Lampard, Giggs have started off at maybe he does have a right to feel frustrated that him, Ince, Teddy etc started at the bottom. But he has burned a lot of bridges everywhere he's gone that I feel has disadvantaged him.

18 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Between 2001 and 2004 Sol Campbell was one of the best defenders in the world. As was Rio, Nesta, Stam etc. He was quick, he was a tank, he was a leader, and one of the best players Wenger ever signed at Arsenal. He will unfortunately be tainted for the circumstances he has left every club that he played for in the naughties.

When you see the jobs Gerrard, Lampard, Giggs have started off at maybe he does have a right to feel frustrated that him, Ince, Teddy etc started at the bottom. But he has burned a lot of bridges everywhere he's gone that I feel has disadvantaged him.

Giggs and Gerrard had coaching jobs at top clubs before taking over the reins solely, so I think it’s a little harsh to have a dig at them. Campbell says he’s been across Europe shadowing people in jobs which is all well and good but he’s not been in a proper coaching environment, barring a short stint as assistant at Trinidad & Tobago, even at youth level. 

He always said he’d drop down the divisions if needed and he has done, something I don’t think some would do. 

• Subscriber

People like Darren Moore and Chris Hughton are surely a bit embarrassed when they hear the stuff Campbell's come out with in the past.

I've never liked the thought of the Rooney Rule or anything along those lines simply because I think you're maintaining the racial divide - how are you expect to tackle the problem by actively encouraging one rule for one and another for another?

I'd like to think chairmen and owners who are ignorant enough to overlook black managers for precisely that reason are going to end up struggling in the football pyramid anyway if that's their attitude.

The numbers are quite bizarre I must admit but you could quite easily say that the percentage of black players against the population is actually higher than average. I don't see anyone having a problem with that.

I'm genuinely quite intrigued to see how he fares as a manager but he makes it hard to want him be a success. The arrogance of the bloke is astounding, lets see if he can back that up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Macclesfield 2-0 Crawley

Former England and Arsenal defender Sol Campbell picked up his first win as Macclesfield boss as League Two's bottom side beat Crawley.

The 44-year-old had overseen a penalty shootout defeat in the Checkatrade Trophy and a loss at Colchester before tasting success in his first home game in charge.

Elliott Durrell's 25-yard strike and a Harry Smith header was enough for Campbell's Silkmen, who moved to within four points of safety.

Floodlight problems at Moss Rose caused a 15-minute delay before the start of the second half, but Macclesfield held firm for victory.

The game was played in atrocious conditions with the strong wind having a huge impact on the game.

However, the hosts had the wind behind them after the break and used it to their advantage with Crawley unable to string meaningful attacks together.

Macclesfield have now won three of their past four matches in the fourth tier, having only triumphed in one of their previous 18.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46491719

• 7 months later...

Archived