talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sheffield United - Can They Last the Course?

football forum

Interested on your take @DNA

This is the time when the wheels came off for Sheffield United last season. They were top of the league and it all went downhill. A home win against a dreadful Sunderland side was their only win between their 17th game and their 28th.

They have six fewer points than they did at this stage last season, but face winnable trips to Rotherham, Brentford and Reading in the next few weeks.

So can they last the course this time round, or will it be deja vu for The Blades?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This time last year we lost Coutts and was the main reason form dipped as we had no replacement. However, we can't seem to hold a lead and we've already thrown too many easy points away, the draw with Rotherham yesterday a clear indicator that we're going to follow the same pattern as last season. So frustrating, trying to remain optimistic though.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Wigan 0-3 Sheffield United 

2 hours ago | Championship

49579430_10156972093127855_3467521763158

Sheffield United striker Billy Sharp said he was "proud" after becoming the leading goalscorer in English league football this century as the promotion hopefuls cruised to a comfortable win at Wigan.

Sharp took his tally to 220 with a tap-in from David McGoldrick's cross to see him go one clear of former Southampton and England striker Rickie Lambert, as the Blades moved within two points of second-placed Norwich.

McGoldrick had put the Blades in front after the Latics failed to clear a first-half corner.

Mark Duffy capitalized on some more lax home defending to slot home United's second shortly after the break and Sharp tapped in soon after to wrap up the win.

"I'm glad the goal came today because I didn't want it to keep going on. I just want to keep scoring goals now and hopefully help the club get promoted," Sharp told BBC Radio Sheffield.

"It didn't go quite to plan when I was here earlier in my career but I am enjoying every minute of it at the moment; I feel as fit and as strong as I have done.

"I've always wanted to be a Premier League player and I've had a couple of appearances there. It would be a dream to get promoted there with Sheffield United."

The Latics, who are without a win since 28 November, are four points above the Championship relegation zone.

For the Blades, victory was their third of a 10-day period, which saw them take 10 points from a possible 12.

Wigan have now lost five of their past six games but should have led when ex-Blades midfielder Lee Evans contrived to shoot wide after visiting goalkeeper Dean Henderson had spilled Gavin Massey's initial low effort.

The Blades host National League club Barnet in the FA Cup third round on Saturday, while Wigan visits fellow Championship club West Bromwich Albion.

Wigan boss Paul Cook:

"In my opinion, there was nothing between the two teams, very fine margins in the game, but this is what's happening to us at the moment.

"We have a great chance at one end, and suddenly we find ourselves going into the break 1-0 down.

"The game went away from us quite quickly in the second half, thanks to some devastating finishing from Sheffield United.

"You have to give them a lot of credit, they are a fine team, but it's just not going for us at the minute."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46677191

It's just so tight at the top and always too early to get excited, two steps forwards, two steps back.. even for the top two. Just hope we can pluck enough points together for a play-off push.

It is looking good atm though, I must say.

I've nothing against the Blades to be fair. Obviously they don't like us much but I wouldn't be against them going up. 

Have to say though that given the way they tailed off last time, you do wonder if we've seen enough so far to believe they won't do that again. Personally, I'm not convinced just yet. But time will tell.

By the way, great signing in Kieron Dowell they made for the rest of the season. He was exactly what I wanted us to bring in to replace Saiz. Will definitely fit in well there with the way Wilder plays.

11 hours ago, Danny said:

How’s Egan getting on @DNA, pretty sure he had a bit of a slow start?

Took a little while to settle in but he's now amongst the top 3 players (Sharp & Norwood included) that I'd say are the most important part of the team and most fans would share that sentiment.

Got a much better squad this season even if some of them squad members didn't cover themselves in glory on Sunday against Barnet.

I'd like to think we will easily be in playoffs but only takes some iffy results in Championship and you slide down table quickly but right now in good form with a couple of new additions it would be great to push on for top two.

I keep waiting for these fuckers to fall away but it doesn't look like it'll happen. Having a striker in Billy Sharp who will get 20+ goals means you always have a chance.

Not impressed with the signing of Gary Madine.

Dowell on the other hand was good for Forest last season and could be a good loan signing.

On 09/01/2019 at 18:36, Marc said:

I keep waiting for these fuckers to fall away but it doesn't look like it'll happen. Having a striker in Billy Sharp who will get 20+ goals means you always have a chance.

Not impressed with the signing of Gary Madine.

Dowell on the other hand was good for Forest last season and could be a good loan signing.

My United supporting colleague was dismayed with the Madine loan. 'At least he twatted a Wednesdayite on his way to prison' was his positive summary of the deal. 

Even so, I think they'll manage promotion, possibly at the expense of Leeds. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/01/2019 at 23:58, StefBWFC said:

My United supporting colleague was dismayed with the Madine loan. 'At least he twatted a Wednesdayite on his way to prison' was his positive summary of the deal. 

Even so, I think they'll manage promotion, possibly at the expense of Leeds. 

ITK 100% fact 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

1188442708_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.3a8bcdb0907f159d53c899b5b0adf383.png

Sheffield United's Chris Wilder named LMA manager of the year after Premier League promotion

Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder has been named League Managers Association Manager of the Year, beating Manchester City's Pep Guardiola to the award.

Wilder guided the Blades back to the Premier League after a 12-year absence and just two years since gaining promotion from League One.

The 51-year-old becomes only the fifth coach outside of England's top flight to win the main award, named the LMA Sir Alex Ferguson trophy, and first since Bournemouth's Eddie Howe in 2015.

"To be voted for by your peers to get this award is just unbelievable and caps off an incredible season for me and everybody at Sheffield United," Wilder said after being handed the award by Ferguson.

"I would like to think we have struck a blow for recruitment, training ground, teaching and all the other stuff which goes on behind the scenes - there is no cheque book culture."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-uniteds-chris-wilder-named-lma-manager-of-the-year-after-premier-league-promotion-a4142416.html

Archived