talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

CONMEBOL asks FIFA to stage the World Cup every two years

football forum

3809.jpg?width=1065&quality=85&auto=form

Conmebol is lobbying Fifa to stage the World Cup every two years rather than every four, president Alejandro Domínguez confirmed on Friday.

Having seen the success of the Uefa Nations League, he would also be open to the possibility of expanding that to include South American teams.

“The proposal we have made to Fifa is to play the World Cup every two years and not every four,” Domínguez said. “Instead of having the Nations League in between we can just go ahead every two years and have a World Cup and that is for everyone.

“It’s for the players because they could play four World Cups if we move to a two-year cycle. If we stay with this format many players will not be able to play more than two.

“There are many solutions. We could hold the tournament in Europe, South America, North America, Africa and Asia without such a long wait. So we see an opportunity there and there is a proposal put forward to Fifa.”

Money, needless to say, is a motivating factor. “In terms of economics Fifa make money and give more money,” Domínguez said.

What that means for the existing continental tournaments is unclear. Domínguez insists he gets on well with both the Fifa president, Gianni Infantino, and the Uefa president, Aleksandar Ceferin, holding a global tournament in a slot currently reserved for the European Championship would clearly be to the benefit of Fifa.

The Nations League is an appealing prospect and could serve as a compromise solution rather than abandoning the present structure altogether.

Domínguez’s position at present is essentially that he is open to dialogue and keen to prevent Europe moving even further ahead of South America, economically and technically, than it already is. “I always say we have to work together and never say no, I always say why not,” he said.

Source: The Guardian

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I'd like to see the World Cup every 2 years, I don't think it would be possible. The Copa America and Euros are a thing, and they are a good make-up for the wait. Also some continents have long qualifying methods like Africa, North and South America. More international breaks and it's not convenient to club football in any way.

I'd also like to add that CONMEBOL has been really unambitious these past few years. They basically transformed the Libertadores into the UCL. Nothing unique about the new format. Sure the old one had issues that needed to be rectified, but this wasn't the way forward. We look up to Europe way too much, and until we start believing we are the best again, South America isn't going to overtake the Europeans any time soon. It makes me sick to my stomach to see how envious we are of them, instead of actually trying to improve.

• Administrator

Can't see UEFA agreeing to it. They've clearly put so much thought in to organising the Nations League and sorting out who qualifies in to the Euros that they're not gonna see that go to waste so soon. 

I'm not even sure I agree with having the World Cup more regularly. 4 years gap is enough. 

7 hours ago, Blue said:

I'd also like to add that CONMEBOL has been really unambitious these past few years. They basically transformed the Libertadores into the UCL. Nothing unique about the new format. Sure the old one had issues that needed to be rectified, but this wasn't the way forward. We look up to Europe way too much, and until we start believing we are the best again, South America isn't going to overtake the Europeans any time soon. It makes me sick to my stomach to see how envious we are of them, instead of actually trying to improve.

Well it's not completely based on the UEFA Champions a League due to the fact the Copa Libertadores has a two legged final which is a massive passion killer.

I get why it's done or better said, why I think it's done that way because anything else just doesn't make sense.  I would say it's done because to put the final in a neutral venue as in the Champions League would mean serious costs to the fans travelling arrangements... Is this the case such a stupid decision has been made to make the final two legs?

But in general CONMEBOL needs restructuring and new blood to be employed from top to bottom...  Can you or someone tell me why the publicity and marketing for the River v Boca final been so shambolic?

It has literally been left upto each individual country to pump up interest and in most European countries (Spain, Portugal and Italy aside) there has practically been absolutely no interest whatsoever on the Copa Libertadores or South Amercian football in general. Just the basics and also being used as a stocking filler for subscription platforms.  There is no organisation, no publicity and no structured plan used to promote outside the geographical landscape that is governed by the CONMEBOL.  It's poor and amateurish!  So what do you expect them to do other than to copy the UEFA system in an uninventive manner, ruining the final ecstatic moment with diluting the final...  The CONMEBOL looks to be a group of amateur tiddlywinks aficionados that have been employed to sort out and promote something totally out of their field, scope and understanding... That only gives options to copy, not create.

As for the World Cup being held every two years... It's a stupid idea almost verging on the hilarious.  Why would you want to make this happen even more often with the obvious result in being that it becomes too common and nobody wants to watch it anymore.  They're already ruining international tournaments everywhere by facilitating qualification to everyone and sundry.  It's making it more exclusive and MORE difficult to qualify for that would make it more interesting, not the other way around.

• Subscriber

Leave it the way it is, every 4 years is just right as you have the UEFA in between which keeps us going, FIFA must think all football supporters are bloody millionaires with their bank balances flowing over with dosh, no good in ramming football down peoples throats just so they can look at their bank balances and rub their hands in joy, and as @SirBalon said... 

On 24/11/2018 at 08:49, SirBalon said:

Why would you want to make this happen even more often with the obvious result in being that it becomes too common and nobody wants to watch it anymore.

It's bad enough for me at the moment when I am watching a match on tv and the wife asks "What are you watching after that?", me "Erm...another match darling", her "FOR FUCKS SAKE, you can stick the football up your jacksie (arse), I can't stand it anymore, too much of it on tv!!" me "yes dear ".  

8 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

It's bad enough for me at the moment when I am watching a match on tv and the wife asks "What are you watching after that?", me "Erm...another match darling", her "FOR FUCKS SAKE, you can stick the football up your jacksie (arse), I can't stand it anymore, too much of it on tv!!" me "yes dear " 

The secret behind every successful man. 

20 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Leave it the way it is, every 4 years is just right as you have the UEFA in between which keeps us going, FIFA must think all football supporters are bloody millionaires with their bank balances flowing over with dosh, no good in ramming football down peoples throats just so they can look at their bank balances and rub their hands in joy, and as @SirBalon said... 

It's bad enough for me at the moment when I am watching a match on tv and the wife asks "What are you watching after that?", me "Erm...another match darling", her "FOR FUCKS SAKE, you can stick the football up your jacksie (arse), I can't stand it anymore, too much of it on tv!!" me "yes dear ".  

I agree mate although it made me laugh out loud. xD

On 24/11/2018 at 00:57, Blue said:

Brian I don't get why you hate Europe so much.

Archived