talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Should Wagner Get The Sack? Are Huddersfield Better than People Think?

Admittedly I've always been one to criticise their lack of ability and style of football.

However they have the following players in their books who I imagine would be of interest if they went down:

- Terrence Kongolo 

- Aaron Mooy

- Alex Pritchard

- Mathias Jørgensen

So as a team is there more individual quality there than people give them credit for?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I think the individual quality is there as seen last season with their unexpected survival. Jorgensen has Champions League experience and Kongolo was a signing out of the blue from Monaco given he'd only moved there not too long before.

I think perhaps they've just approached this season in the wrong manner. Some teams step up to the plate even more and try to establish themselves, others suffer from that 'second season syndrome'. 

Wagner not playing Jonas Lossl for the first part of this season when he was fully fit was an odd decision that coincides with their slow start. He was one of the stars for them last season and performed when called upon so to not play him much and have that solidity continuing from last season was surprising.

But it's only their 2nd win of the season so far. Not to disrespect them or forgo last season's over-achievement, but they still have a long way to go to prove they can still compete in this league. At their position in the league, the main thing is beating teams around them which is most important. Anything against the top sides is a bonus. The individual quality may be there but it's what you do as a team that counts. No individual is greater than the sum of the team's parts.  

I know diddly squat when it comes to Huddersfield, but I will say this: Aaron Mooy is one of the worlds underrated ball winning midfielders. I've mostly seen him for the Socceroos but judging from what I've seen there, he could easily ply his trade in a top 6 club. Great defensively, dynamic when going forward and is a strong presence in the middle. 

• Administrator

so you've seen him in a handful of games for Australia (against, for the most part, minor opposition given who their qualifying games are against), yet you think he can make it at the likes of Man City, Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool (if England's top 6). 

I heavily disagree. 

When people talk about ball-winning midfielders - you have players like Kante (who's probably the world's best at it), Busquets, Fernandinho perhaps.

Mooy does not rank up to those in my opinion. Having seen him more for Huddersfield than Australia, I'd say his work rate is probably one of his best assets, and is probably a better player going forward than defensively. More creative than aggressive. 

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

so you've seen him in a handful of games for Australia (against, for the most part, minor opposition given who their qualifying games are against), yet you think he can make it at the likes of Man City, Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool (if England's top 6). 

I heavily disagree. 

When people talk about ball-winning midfielders - you have players like Kante (who's probably the world's best at it), Busquets, Fernandinho perhaps.

Mooy does not rank up to those in my opinion. Having seen him more for Huddersfield than Australia, I'd say his work rate is probably one of his best assets, and is probably a better player going forward than defensively. More creative than aggressive. 

He can definitely work at a club like Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal in my opinion. Everton is a good shout too, although they aren't quite as up there. They seem to be a very hit and miss team these days. Keep in mind I am basing this in games against South Korea, Chile, France, Peru, Denmark and Germany. Australia are generally pretty poor against weaker opposition anyways.

I don't think he's as good as Kante. More complete perhaps, but he's not as good at ball winning as Kante is. As you mentioned, he's more of a creative player with tremendous work rate and I think he's really good at what he does.

He's not world class, but not every player a club like Liverpool or Spurs is going to be that. Under the right tactical system, he can be a great asset to any of the teams I've mentioned because I really do believe he has what it takes. I think a team like City or United (given their expectation and budget) is a bit of a stretch, but below that I think he fits in fine.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

David Wagner: Huddersfield boss says he is always thinking about survival

By Simon Stone

BBC Sport

2 hours ago | Huddersfield

Huddersfield manager David Wagner says he "never" stops thinking about Premier League survival, with his side sitting at the bottom of the table.

The Terriers are five points from safety, following Wednesday's 3-1 defeat away at Manchester United.

Their next two games come against Fulham and Burnley, both just above them in the table.

"It is never out of my head. Sometimes it is at the front, other times the back, but it is always with you."

The 47-year-old former Borussia Dortmund B team coach has enjoyed an outstanding three years at Huddersfield, taking the club from the Championship relegation zone weeks after he replaced Chris Powell in November 2015 into the top flight for the first time since 1972.

He secured Huddersfield's place in the Premier League thanks to back-to-back away draws at Manchester City and Chelsea in May.

Now though, the situation looks bleak following a run of six successive defeats this season.

"In recent weeks, I can't deliver the smile on the faces of our supporters and chairman. This doesn't satisfy me," Wagner said on Friday.

"They know how we perform. They know we try everything and work very hard. I know they will smile if we are successful."

Wagner's 'truth'

Even if Huddersfield were winning games, their plight would still consume Wagner's thoughts.

The fact they do not makes it even more tricky. It also means the players get to see their manager in the raw because, win or lose, Wagner can see no point in trying to mask his emotions.

He said: "That would make no sense for me.

"I am honest. I will not go to any meeting and tell them something I do not believe. This is not what I am. They should feel if I am disappointed or frustrated or if I am happy or delighted."

Wagner takes solace from the fact he - along with everyone else - knows exactly what Huddersfield's problem is.

Their return of 12 goals is the worst in the Premier League. With the exception of Newcastle, they have scored almost 50% fewer times than any of their top-flight rivals.

And not one of those 12 has been scored by a recognised striker.

Little wonder Wagner is trying to bring in reinforcement, with both Liverpool's Dominic Solanke and Monaco's former Manchester City front-man Stevan Jovetic thought to be on his radar.

He said: "Our problem is so obvious. I can't say I don't feel pressure but I know what we have to change. The truth is we have not solved it so far.

"But it can only come through performances. I can't say I would like to play rubbish, then I will get the three points. That is not how it works."

Sobhi to head out on loan

Huddersfield announced on Friday that winger Ramadan Sobhi is set to join Egyptian club Al Ahly on loan when the transfer window opens on 1 January 2019, pending international and Premier League clearance.

The 21-year-old joined from Stoke City in June 2018 but has made just four competitive appearances as a substitute so far this season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46702910

• Subscriber

I just can't see them surviving this year. They've basically been what Hull were in their first time up although not quite as bad as them in the second year.

They'll surely lose Mooy in the summer though. Losing him until February is a huge blow in itself.

Archived