talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alfredo Morelos Leaving Rangers?

@Rab

Steven Gerrard admits he's willing to fall out with people at Rangers to keep striker Alfredo Morelos at the club after his goal in their 3-0 Scottish Premiership win over Livingston.

The Colombian started on the bench with Thursday's Europa League tie at home to Villarreal in mind but came on to spark the Ibrox side to life and ensure they now sit second in the table.

Morelos now has 16 goals this season - two short of his total for all of last season - and has scored in nine of his last 12 matches, netting 10 times in that sequence.

Gerrard appreciates there could be interest in the forward - previously the subject of a multi-million-pound bid from China - when the transfer window opens in January.

The Rangers manager said: "There is no doubt he is going to shatter what he got last season because we are creating chances.

"He is happy, he is enjoying his work. I'm told by people who have been around a long time it's the happiest he has looked. He recently signed a new deal. He has just got to keep going.

"I'll fight tooth and nail to keep him here as long as possible. I will fall out with people to keep him here, that's how much I like him.

"I love him and respect him. I also understand every player has his price but from day one I have told you I love him, and that hasn't changed.

"It has grown, it is getting more. I want to keep him here as long as possible because he makes my job a lot easier."

One negative for Morelos was a 13th yellow card of the season which will now rule him out of Rangers' trip to bottom side Dundee on December 9.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
10 hours ago, Rab said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we do sell him although someone is going to need to give us a fair chunk of change for him.

I hope he stays, he reminds me of wee Nacho Novo. 

Rangers can make a major profit if Alfredo Morelos hits 30 goals

We aren't even halfway through the season and Alfredo Morelos already has 16 goals for Rangers this season.

The Colombian only managed 18 in all competitions last term, so it seems like he is set to smash his own goalscoring record come May.

And if he winds up breaching the 30-goal barrier, as Moussa Dembele did in his first season at Celtic, then Rangers must be tempted to slap a £20 million price-tag on him.

Celtic fans mocked Morelos's reported £10 million price-tag last January but if he emulates the former Hoops hitman then it has to be double that.

The former HJK Helsinki star is 22, like Dembele, and he has three-and-a-half years left on his contract at Ibrox.

He is already worth a fortune to Rangers, but even more so if he winds up with 30 in all competitions this season.

Considering he was signed for only £1 million in 2017 [The Times], the Blues would make a monster profit of around £19 million if, hypothetically, he were to leave for £20 million.

That's what it cost Lyon to get Dembele and there's no reason why Rangers shouldn't be demanding a minimum of £20 million if their red-hot marksman were to emulate the Frenchman.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/11/26/rangers-can-make-major-profit-if-alfredo-morelos-hits-30-goals/

• 2 weeks later...

Steven Gerrard has warned it will take "top money" to prise the best players from his table-topping Rangers team when the January transfer window opens.

The Ibrox side moved ahead of their Old Firm rivals Celtic in the Scottish Premiership with a 2-1 win at Hearts on Sunday and are at the summit in December for the first time in seven years.

Key to their good form has been striker Alfredo Morelos, a scorer of 17 goals in all competitions so far, and interest in the Colombian is expected in the weeks ahead.

Gerrard, who insists he wants to keep Morelos in Glasgow, said ahead of Rangers' match against Aberdeen on Wednesday: "For any club looking over our fences, if you want our top players, you have to come with top, top money.

"That's the only message I'll ever say on any of my top players. Top money, that's it. He has to be [equipped to deal with speculation] and so do all the other players. They have to be ready."

• The topic was locked

Archived