talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What's Gone Wrong at Brentford?

football forum

A weakness in defending aerial threats of late?
An understandably naive central defensive pairing?
A lack of leadership?
Need more steel and ruggedness in the middle of the park?
In need of more energy going forward?
A lack of touchline encouragement?
Is Thomas Frank even the right man for the job?

Why has everything gone so badly wrong at Brentford?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we'll come good for a play off challenge but I'm not sure we'll make it now, was pretty certain beginning of the season.

Individually we've got talent that most teams in this division would take in a heartbeat, unfortunately we've made too many errors and easy mistakes which means that talent means fuck all at the moment.

Loss of Smith has hurt us, we've probably not recovered losing Woodsy but it's not our biggest problem.

Losing Egan and Bjelland meant we lost experience that Mepham and Konsa don't really have and on top of that our other CB has been injured.

Its the Championship, I expect things to turn around. Finally got Marcondes fit and will be due to have Rico Henry fit too. You just need one run of form in this division and I don't think we're incapable of having one.

We lost Smith through a run of games where we performed well, should have won or drawn but made mistakes that were fatal. Then Smith leaves and Frank comes in and it's difficult to steady a ship under those circumstances.

Only Leeds have had more shots on goal this season than Brentford and nobody has had as many on target as Brentford so goals do not appear to be a major problem. They’ve not scored in 3 of 18 games this season and have scored 2+ in 9 of 18. 

Unsurprisingly then, it’s the opposite end of the pitch that has been their downfall. Three clean sheets all season is pretty poor, more so when you consider the three teams they’ve kept scoreless (Wigan, Millwall, Sheff Wed) are all in the bottom eight of the Championship. 

They’ve conceded 17 of their 25 goals away from home, with 9 of those 17 being in the first half. It wouldn’t surprise anyone that with that information, they’ve not won away all season. The way in which they operate away from home doesn’t appear to be conducive to success (picking up points). 

Archived