talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

Leon Barnett Forced to Retire due to Heart Problems

football forum

One of your former boys @Marc @AMG. I remember him having a pretty decent start at Luton and West Brom.

Northampton Town defender Leon Barnett has been advised to retire from football because of a heart condition.

The 32-year-old has been diagnosed with a condition that, according to professional medical opinion, would make it unsafe for him to continue training and playing.

Barnett first noticed the issue during an away game at Wycombe Wanderers and doctors said he was lucky not to have collapsed after monitoring a heart rate of just under 300 beats per minute during a second episode against Bury.

Speaking to the club, Barnett said: "It is tough and I didn't really know what to expect [when it was diagnosed]. I am very fortunate that they found it and have handled it well. It was a shock but it could have been a lot worse.

"It is not the end of your dream, but something you enjoy doing every day. I am a positive person so I will look back positively. Now I want to give back what I have learned."

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite liked him, I don't remember who againstbut he scored an important goal the season we went up i think.

I remember him most for getting sent off a few times and one time he chucked the ball at the ref and got an extra 2 or 3 game ban, stupid twat.