talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Borussia Dortmund Bus Bomber Jailed

football forum

The man who carried out a bomb attack on the Borussia Dortmund football team's bus in 2017 has been jailed for 14 years.

The defendant, who has been identified only as Sergej W. in line with German privacy rules, was convicted on 28 accounts of attempted murder by the Dortmund state court on Tuesday.

He was also ordered to pay 15,000 euros (£13,300) to defender Marc Bartra, who got injured in the attack, having needed an operation to remove debris from his hand.

A police officer was also injured when three explosions rocked the team's bus as it left a hotel in the western German city to travel for their Champions League home game against AS Monaco on April 11 last year.

Tuesday's verdict ended an 11-month trial that featured testimony from players and then-coach Thomas Tuchel.

Prosecutors alleged that W. took out a loan to place a bet that Borussia Dortmund's shares would drop in value, then bombed the bus and tried to disguise the attack as Islamic terrorism.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

6 months for each attempted murder? Seems light for me. 

The prosecutors wanted a life sentence for all those counts of attempted murder. He and his defense team claimed he did not intend to kill or even injure as the explosions were meant "only" as a staged bomb attack in order to cause panic which would lead to the fall of BVB share prices in the stock market and were asking for less than 10 year sentence. The trial found him guilty on all charges but I guess they took his alleged intentions into account... Not sure how anyone placing nail bombs can be seen as not having intention to kill though.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, nudge said:

The prosecutors wanted a life sentence for all those counts of attempted murder. He and his defense team claimed he did not intend to kill or even injure as the explosions were meant "only" as a staged bomb attack in order to cause panic which would lead to the fall of BVB share prices in the stock market and were asking for less than 10 year sentence. The trial found him guilty on all charges but I guess they took his alleged intentions into account... Not sure how anyone placing nail bombs can be seen as not having intention to kill though.

Yeah that's the sticking point and what I can't understand. It's not like he's accidentally found himself in that scenario with nail bombs in hand and coincidentally been on the route and exact place where the Dortmund bus would go, and then actually setting the nail bomb off.

Lucky cunt to only get to spend 14 years in jail. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Lawyers are scum in times like this, imagine actually building a case to defend this cunt.

I think it's no coincidence that most politicians start their careers as lawyers... :ph34r:

Archived