talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Christian Pulisic - Chelsea Summer Move Confirmed

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes a lot of sense commercially for Chelsea. Having one of the most hyped up Americans on a side with healthy American support makes sense.

He’s got the potential to be fantastic as well. Normally not the best place for a promising young player to develop, but it’s also where Hazard grew into who he is - and with Willian ahead of him, he should be able to get plenty of chances to solidify a first team place.

I suspect he’ll be a good signing if he gets the chances and plays better than he has this season.

52 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Makes a lot of sense commercially for Chelsea. Having one of the most hyped up Americans on a side with healthy American support makes sense.

He’s got the potential to be fantastic as well. Normally not the best place for a promising young player to develop, but it’s also where Hazard grew into who he is - and with Willian ahead of him, he should be able to get plenty of chances to solidify a first team place.

I suspect he’ll be a good signing if he gets the chances and plays better than he has this season.

Chelsea don't give their own youth a chance, but there's no chance they'll let someone rot on the bench after paying that much. I suspect at least one of Hazard, Willian, and Pedro will be off in the summer, so wouldn't be surprised to see him go straight into the first team.

Too much money for us in the end. While I'm sure we could've stretched the budget for him, we simply wouldn't pay that much for a guy who's not a sure thing and ready to be a big contributor almost immediately. Personally, I'm happy Chelsea have got this done as it'll finally put an end to the "We'Ll GeT pUlIsIc BeCaUsE hE's AmErIcAn AnD tHe OwNeRs ArE aMeRiCaN" from some of our fans.

6 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Chelsea don't give their own youth a chance, but there's no chance they'll let someone rot on the bench after paying that much. I suspect at least one of Hazard, Willian, and Pedro will be off in the summer, so wouldn't be surprised to see him go straight into the first team.

Too much money for us in the end. While I'm sure we could've stretched the budget for him, we simply wouldn't pay that much for a guy who's not a sure thing and ready to be a big contributor almost immediately. Personally, I'm happy Chelsea have got this done as it'll finally put an end to the "We'Ll GeT pUlIsIc BeCaUsE hE's AmErIcAn AnD tHe OwNeRs ArE aMeRiCaN" from some of our fans.

Think it was about playing time. He'd likely start over Willian and Pedro. No way he gets ahead of Salah or Shaqiri. 

7 hours ago, Storts said:

Vast overpay all things considered but at least Chelsea have been willing to splash the cash to get one of their targets and try and improve. Rest of the top 6 compete in a different market to us and it's frustrating.

Then again, personally think he's massively overhyped for the age he is, the breakthrough he made and for being American. He wouldn't get anywhere near our first 11 currently. Chelsea had to replenish that frontline though, so for them I think it's a decent gamble to see if he can kick of meet his potential.

You say overpay but the sad thing is that these figures are normal.

1 hour ago, Burning Gold said:

Well most of Chelsea’s youth have turned out pretty shit to be fair. At least Cheek is playing a lot now. Hutchinson could still be around if his knees didn’t explode and he didn’t retire for several years. McEachran got chance after chance but failed, and it gets me thinking what player from their academy has actually turned out to be an elite or great player since Terry? I don’t include teens that spent 10 years at another club and one at Chelsea. A great bunch of Championship level players though, Baker, Kane, Chalobah, and so forth. 

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Spike said:

You say overpay but the sad thing is that these figures are normal.

I'm not sure they are. His contract running down, and his performances on the pitch haven't warranted this sort of fee at all.

You're buying potential and marketing value - but it's still an overpay even in this new world of highly inflated fees. 

Either way, wish we had a board willing to actually spend money to try and bring in players to improve us. 

5 minutes ago, Storts said:

I'm not sure they are. His contract running down, and his performances on the pitch haven't warranted this sort of fee at all.

You're buying potential and marketing value - but it's still an overpay even in this new world of highly inflated fees. 

Either way, wish we had a board willing to actually spend money to try and bring in players to improve us. 

I agree with Spike. I wouldn't call it overpaying. His nationality does have something to do with it, but he's played for one of Germany's top clubs in the first team many times and is still under 23. He's broken through and put together some impressive performances in the past. All in a future with an inflated market.

19 minutes ago, Storts said:

I’m not buying anything! Point remains that these fees are completely common now. Nobody bats an eye at that fee, even if it is over payed. When will the bubble burst? There can only be so much inflation.

• Subscriber
Just now, Spike said:

I’m not buying anything! Point remains that these fees are completely common now. Nobody bats an eye at that fee, even if it is over payed. When will the bubble burst? There can only be so much inflation.

Doesn't matter if it's common or not - it's still an overpay, as I'm sure he would have been cheaper in the summer, but as I've said fair play for doing that just to secure the player the club wanted. You'd have thought it will end sooner or later, it just isn't sustainable as it currently stands. I think when the Sky money finally levels out or comes down we will see a shift. 

44 minutes ago, Danny said:

In footballing terms they’ve overpaid, but considering he’s American and how big the market is there I’m sure they’ll be making money off of him for time to come.

It is a niche market populated mainly by Latinos and Eastern-Europeans that support their home nations. It is hugely unpopular.

42 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Why is it embarrassing we have been signing players for our managers that they don't want since 2003 :dunce:

It's not that he doesn't want him it's that he didn't even know Chelsea signed him :4_joy:

I reckon Sarri will be sacked before next season :ph34r:

38 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

It's not that he doesn't want him it's that he didn't even know Chelsea signed him :4_joy:

I reckon Sarri will be sacked before next season :ph34r:

With the sexy Sarri ball fully on display i give him until we drop out of the top four and exit the Europa League.

Archived