• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United to Activate David De Gea Optional Year

• Subscriber

David de Gea: Man Utd set to activate the one-year option on the contract

By Simon Stone

BBC Sport

19 minutes ago | Man Utd

Manchester United are set to trigger the one-year option on goalkeeper David de Gea's contract to avoid any uncertainty over his future heading into the January transfer window.

Spain international De Gea, 28, joined United from Atletico Madrid in 2011.

His contract ends in the summer, which would allow him to talk to overseas clubs from 1 January and potentially sign a pre-contract agreement.

However, United have an option to extend the deal for another year.

De Gea's representatives are already working on the basis that his contract will expire in 2020.

As manager Jose Mourinho confirmed after Tuesday's 1-0 win over Young Boys, United are keen to hold on to the keeper, who has won United's player of the year award four times in the past five seasons.

It is understood De Gea is open to the idea of remaining at the club, although as yet, there has been no agreement on terms, with De Gea's camp mindful of the enormous salary United agreed to pay Alexis Sanchez when he joined from Arsenal 10 months ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46378791

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do people forget goalkeepers are team members? It’s like De Gea plays well and people lose their minds. Don’t here the same guff about Salah, Silva, Hazard etc. Nothing wrong with having a class goalkeeper. Saving goals is as important as scoring them last time I checked.

7 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Why do people forget goalkeepers are team members? It’s like De Gea plays well and people lose their minds. Don’t here the same guff about Salah, Silva, Hazard etc. Nothing wrong with having a class goalkeeper. Saving goals is as important as scoring them last time I checked.

It's because goalkeepers are so unique in their position and so isolated, a goalkeeper is reliant only themselves and once exposed stands alone. Of course they are a part of the team and therefore contribute to the team performance but they can often cover an awful team performance more than any other player can. 

22 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Being so reliant on a keeper suggests everything in front of the keeper is failing.

21 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Leave me alone. I’m clinging on.

At least you've got a quality keeper and imo your squad isn't that bad at all... the biggest issue is how you set out to play. If you can get De Gea to not move on and play some more positive football, it's not like you'll be as shite as we've been for much of my life.

Honestly, I'm a bit irritated that it seems like Manchester United and Arsenal fans don't seem to experience irritating and frustrating stagnation for anywhere near as long as other clubs in their shoes have. Imagine being a Spurs fan and last season looking like Arsenal would finally be kinda like what Spurs were for most of my life... good but not great and not likely to challenge for the CL. And then Emery comes in and Arsenal are suddenly far less shite.

I honestly think a manager that isn't as shit scared as Mourinho is would go a long way to making United a force again. It's not like you're even that abysmal under Mourinho either, you're just a bit cowardly.

• 9 months later...

Juventus mate, free transfer kings.

De Gea needs to get out of Old Trafford, his performances are that of a keeper who should have won multiple league titles, domestic cups and even a Champions League by now. Hopefully for him he lasts into his 30s

He's either in decline or needs a new challenge. Maybe both. It's no surprise he has lost some of his confidence after so many seasons of disappointment and watching so much shit unfold in front of him.

I think it's worth to give him an opportunity still, but I'm not sure Szczesny has done anything to deserve to be benched for De Gea, so that'd be a bit shit for him.

Archived