talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - Saturday 1st December, 2018

football forum

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newcastle fans are planning an "11th minute walk-in" to St James' Park on Saturday in protest against owner Mike Ashley.

Fans group "The Magpie Group" are urging supporters to "have an extra pint before going to the match" against West Ham, in what is the latest in a series of protests against the Sports Direct tycoon's running of the club.

The group are unhappy with a perceived lack of investment by the club and are calling for action in the upcoming January transfer window.

• Subscriber

We've gone firmly back into the phase of being horrible at home and this is I think everyone's underlying gripe with Puel. We have become far too easy to come away to and get something from. I fully expect an organised Watford to leave with a point, possibly even three.

We need to win this to avoid going on a bad run. Our fixtures after this look nasty.

I'm not confident. It would be a huge breath of fresh air if we won this comfortably.

• Subscriber

What team we thinking? @Stan

I reckon it'll be...

Schmeichel

Ricardo - Morgan - Evans - Chilwell

Albrighton - Mendy - Ndidi - Gray

Maddison

Vardy

Actually think we've looked better at the back without Maguire. I think we miss something going forward without him but I think Evans is probably a steadier defender, and I'll say this - he's more of an organiser like Huth was, which has in turn helped Morgan who has never really been that good of one in my eyes despite being captain. Morgan's actually been OK lately although I still think if you want to play successful possession football you've really got to look at replacing him, and Soyuncu might well be the man to do that.

Maddison needs a performance for me. He's been a bit dodgy after hitting the ground running. I've little doubt he's got the ability but I think he's a bit off colour and I said it before the Brighton game too, and what a horrific day for him that was.

• Administrator

Yeah I'd go with that team too. Agree about Maguire. Experience of Evans and Morgan is telling but we do become even more defensive with those two as neither like to bring the ball out from the back. Soyuncu was decent in midweek so wouldn't be surprised if he's rewarded with a start today either. 

Maddison has to be central from now on. His threat becomes nullified when he's on the wing and asked to come in. Glad Chilwell was rested in the week so expect a top performance from him today. 

With some shite fixtures coming up this month we need at least 4 points from today and Fulham I think. 

• Subscriber

Best performance at home this season for me. Makes the world of difference getting the early goal. We're quite good once we're actually in front, it's just getting there that we often struggle with.

Good win. I didn't fancy us at all today but I'm happy to say I was proven wrong. We looked classy at times. Maddison, Albrighton, Mendy and Ricardo our best players for me, and I think this centre half pairing truly seems to be working.

Look out for our second as well. An absolutely lovely goal.

Off days all over the park. Lost every 2nd ball.

Ki the only one who played well.

Perez was terrible. Kenedy, Diame and Ritchie poor. The touch, the precision, the focus the desire not there. Very complacent after 3 wins.

West Ham were getting in behind too easily. At half time they were 1 up after having just 1 shot but that didn't tell the story really. 

We gave up at 2-0 and the subs did nothing.

Changes will have to be rung now. 

Well we have something like 28 shots today. Any team with a striker would have scored six goals. But thank you, and I meant thank you, to those 'forever palace' Holmesdale Fanatics who turned up today to make sure we won 2-0. Just in time to get in to The Amex without tickets again this Tuesday.

Also on the late walk in protest. There were only about 500-750 who came in on the 10th minute. Some fans were booing them as they came in. One bloke on my row was doing the wanker sign at them. Then when someone passed him in the row he challenged them. 

Semi toxic moment.

• Administrator

That's more fucking like it. Echoing @Dan's thoughts again - Mendy, Albrighton, Maddison & Pereira all stood out, as did the solid defence. 

Surprisingly, Maguire being injured has given opportunities for a Morgan/Evans partnership to develop and also give time to Soyuncu to play, who hasn't really put a foot wrong in the few minutes he's had. The experience of Morgan and Evans gives a lot of reliability to the way we defend. It sounds odd saying that about Morgan after his horror show for the first 2 months of the season. But like he had with Huth in 15/16, Evans probably gives him a lot of confidence too. Morgan was back to putting his body on the line again, getting in the way of shots & passes, positioning himself much better today. It also meant Schmeichel had very, very little to do which is surprising given Watford had about 6 attacking players on at one stage. He only had to collect/punch crosses so he deserves his clean sheet but thanks to the defence in front of him; and to some woeful finishing by those strikers.

Shifting Maddison back in to the middle was the right call and it paid off. As above, the way that goal was worked, to counter from Watford's corner reminded me of the counter-attacking football under Ranieri. Soak up pressure, contain a little, then instantly get on to the front foot and in to their half in a matter of 3-4 passes. Maddison sprinting to get in to an attacking position after passing to Vardy, Vardy's nifty turn to provide space to pass to Albrighton. Then Albrighton's pinpoint cross-field ball was perfect for Maddison to take it further in to the box - fortunate with the way it looped up from the defender, he volleyed with precision.  

Last season Foster was stood still from Vardy's volley at West Brom. This time it was Maddison. A great goal all round.

Up to 7th and a much-needed win ahead of some very tough fixtures coming up. Pleasing that we've got the 3 points and a clean sheet with a dominant performance. 

Also, a touch of class from the Watford fans today. I knew about a month ago they were setting up a banner for Vichai, but totally forgot that it was happening. Very nice gesture. Apparently we provided free food and drink in their concourse today as well. 

Watford fans with a touching banner at the King Power Stadium

:x 

3 hours ago, Dan said:

Burnley are in real trouble aren't they?

It was like the first time playing the new Fifa. All the possession, 29 shots, and really struggle to score when the other team can't struggle tobpingg two passes.

I would have lost or drawn today if it meant we were more focused for The M23 Derby. Given it's one of the biggest rivalries in The Premier League now I'm worried we may not be as sharp after collecting three points and breathing space here. 

• Subscriber

It was better because we actually had more to our game than just crossing the ball aimlessly. We actually did open them up a couple of times with good football.

Bar the Success chance they didn't have any really good ones. We got away with that.

If we did that more frequently against the middling sides I think Puel wouldn't be under a jot of pressure. Seems daft to think he is when we're 8th but the table is that tight.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Dan said:

It was better because we actually had more to our game than just crossing the ball aimlessly. We actually did open them up a couple of times with good football.

Bar the Success chance they didn't have any really good ones. We got away with that.

If we did that more frequently against the middling sides I think Puel wouldn't be under a jot of pressure. Seems daft to think he is when we're 8th but the table is that tight.

It did help that Watford had a very attacking mentality and left gaps in their midfield for us to exploit. Our tactics work perfectly against that but even so, some of our passing moves were quite positive and quick. 

I think that's one of our best starting eleven's we could put out right now. I do wonder if Puel will make changes for Wednesday though. Could be a much tougher game than Watford. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived