talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 2-0 Fulham - Sunday 2nd December, 2018

football forum

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kovacic and Barkley have both been given good consistent runs in the team though, for Ruben it's been a bit stop and start in terms of having any kind of run. Sarri hasn't given the same level of trust to Ruben as the other two, he admitted that Barkley had to improve tactically but gave him the game time to do that. He says the same about Ruben but has not given the player the same level of game time. Ruben hasn't even started a Premier League game I don't think. I agree with you that he has to play with more intensity but for me that's purely in off the ball situations.

On 07/08/2018 at 19:56, carefreeluke said:

I don't rate Kovacic as highly as some do on here and in Spain but on paper he would act as the missing piece of the jigsaw in our midfield. Although Kovacic hasn't been helped by irregular playing time (and similar to Isco beforehand) the lack of knowing his true position in midfield, I'm not totally convinced by him as I know others are, and like Morata last summer there's that doubt about where his potential will go. A loan deal makes this a good move though and on paper we strengthen a position in which I'm most worried about. Nearly suicide for Barkley though, as we'd be bringing in a player of similar characteristics but who has more to his overall game. 

I'm surprised Barkley has got the game time he has but perhaps the Europa league has helped this a lot, the same way in which it has helped Ruben and Kovacic get more game time. Anyway, my opinion hasn't changed on Kovacic. I like his technical ability but I'm still seeing the same Kovacic I saw at Real Madrid. Not forgetting, we spent two years watching Kanté and Matic in midfield so a player that came in with some calmness on the ball and some good technical ability would have perhaps always been viewed in a more positive light no matter the true level of his actual performances.

More than anything, we need a goal scorer. Giroud just as bad as Morata, however I can forgive the former for his hold up play.

3rd and 4th will ultimately be down between us, Spurs, and Arsenal. Those two already have prolific finishers. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived