talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal 4-2 Tottenham - Sunday 2nd December, 2018

football forum

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Not only should he have the maximum the law can throw at him for that, but he should also be tied up at Trafalgar Square and be wet handkerchief slapped by tourists on the face for being unoriginal with his racist attack.

What did he hope to gain from that in this day and age?

I only wish his face would be publicised in the media as they do these days in Spain with anything of the sort.

But was it meant as a racist thing, someone might of just had the only thing in their hand which turned out to be Banana which they have just eaten and threw it unless they purposely bought it with them for that reason and should be banned, if it was just moment of throwing something on the pitch then it was just as bad taste and should still be banned for throwing objects.      Arsenal fans also threw bottles of beer at Spurs players when it kicked off when Dier scored.

Only saying this as i've seen other incidents similar to when an inflatable banana was thrown around by the crowd between each other which seemed harmless fun during a Feyenoord game vs Roma, it ended up on the pitch and landed next to a black footballer Gervinho and there was a huge thing about it.   

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Panna King said:

But was it meant as a racist thing, someone might of just had the only thing in their hand which turned out to be Banana which they have just eaten and threw it unless they purposely bought it with them for that reason and should be banned, if it was just moment of throwing something on the pitch then it was just as bad taste and should still be banned for throwing objects.      Arsenal fans also threw bottles of beer at Spurs players when it kicked off when Dier scored.

Only saying this as i've seen other incidents similar to when an inflatable banana was thrown around by the crowd between each other which seemed harmless fun during a Feyenoord game vs Roma, it ended up on the pitch and landed next to a black footballer Gervinho and there was a huge thing about it.   

It could be the case that the fan in question really loves bananas and went to the game with one in his pocket.  As far as I know bananas that grow on trees (not the inflatable ones) aren't banned from The Emirates Stadium or any of England's stadia.

I'm pretty sure the individual will be alleging that this was indeed the case and he may even have mustered people he knows to vouch for his banana addiction where he can't do without.  The truth be it said in his defence that there aren't any bins by each individual stadium seat so the reality is that when he thought of getting rid of said object the only place where it would be safe to dispose of it so as to not cause an injury to a fellow Spurs fan where one could slip and hurt themselves, was to throw it onto the football pitch where there is ample space and where green contrasts perfectly with the colour yellow thus being plainly visible for a player not to do likewise.

I am indeed starting to sway to this theory mate.

He couldn't Infact be a very considerate individual and the total opposite to what many may be accusing him of.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It could be the case that the fan in question really loves bananas and went to the game with one in his pocket.  As far as I know bananas that grow on trees (not the inflatable ones) aren't banned from The Emirates Stadium or any of England's stadia.

I'm pretty sure the individual will be alleging that this was indeed the case and he may even have mustered people he knows to vouch for his banana addiction where he can't do without.  The truth be it said in his defence that there aren't any bins by each individual stadium seat so the reality is that when he thought of getting rid of said object the only place where it would be safe to dispose of it so as to not cause an injury to a fellow Spurs fan where one could slip and hurt themselves, was to throw it onto the football pitch where there is ample space and where green contrasts perfectly with the colour yellow thus being plainly visible for a player not to do likewise.

I am indeed starting to sway to this theory mate.

Well the stewards would of checked everyone getting into the game, so maybe now they will confiscate anything that could be offensive if it ends up on the pitch.   I am not sticking up for anyone's actions but just trying to point out that this might of just been by chance and not like the old days when they actually bought in Bananas and fruit to actually throw at a black player.  Anyway it was Spurs fan so I hope they have everything coming to them!  

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Well the stewards would of checked everyone getting into the game, so maybe now they will confiscate anything that could be offensive if it ends up on the pitch.   I am not sticking up for anyone's actions but just trying to point out that this might of just been by chance and not like the old days when they actually bought in Bananas and fruit to actually throw at a black player.  Anyway it was Spurs fan so I hope they have everything coming to them!  

Oh I can't believe you were serious with your theory xD 

I'm sorry, but it's 100% that banana has been brought in to be thrown at a black player. It was clearly meant as a racist gesture. If the person who did it can't see that then that just proves how stupid they are as well. 

16 minutes ago, Stan said:

Oh I can't believe you were serious with your theory xD 

I'm sorry, but it's 100% that banana has been brought in to be thrown at a black player. It was clearly meant as a racist gesture. If the person who did it can't see that then that just proves how stupid they are as well. 

Well  that it is what it seems, but very strange that someone who supports a club which is in the area that is known for its Black Caribbean communities. Tottenham do have quite a lot of black players themselves for a fan to just bring in a banana to just throw at Aubameyang or Iwobi who were the only black players on the field for Arsenal from the start.      

• Administrator
Just now, Panna King said:

Well  that it is what it seems, but very strange that someone who supports a club which is in the area that is known for its Black Caribbean communities. Tottenham do have quite a lot of black players themselves for a fan to just bring in a banana to just throw at Aubameyang or Iwobi who were the only black players on the field for Arsenal.   

mate, that's no excuse for the banana. Many fans of clubs have black players in their own side and that doesn't stop them being racist. That's on a par with saying 'my friend is black/brown/Asian (etc etc) so I can't be racist'.

Fans like that have no place in the game. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

mate, that's no excuse for the banana. Many fans of clubs have black players in their own side and that doesn't stop them being racist. That's on a par with saying 'my friend is black/brown/Asian (etc etc) so I can't be racist'.

Fans like that have no place in the game. 

Of course I am not saying that at all but just saying that the Banana was not brought in to the stadium for that purpose as it was the skin thrown, so someone obviously has picked it up and thrown it, which is of course terrible.    

• Subscriber

As always I try to give it a bit of time before responding to these threads, just as I did after the Chelsea game with different emotions. Always try to have a level head in responding instead of raw emotion coming out the ground.

Ultimately yesterday was highly frustrating - as we didn't turn up, again, and we were the second best team on the pitch for the majority of it. It's such a shame that our worst performance of the season seems to keep coming at the Emirates and for some reason Pochettino never seems to learn his lesson.

It was always going to be a tricky game when Pochettino decided to stick Foyth in there instead of Toby. I'm all for the rotation and having faith in young players, but in a derby game like that it was no place for Foyth. He should have played the experience of Jan and Toby. We were all over the place at the back though. Hugo was really poor, had no command of his area and he just should not be captain, it doesn't work for me. Jan was diabolical as the experienced centre back. Stupid penalty to give away, lots of errors and then the sending off. I haven't seen the tackle back, looked harsh from my seat but either way I don't think he needed to let the ref make a decision there. Particularly because Mike Dean is an absolutely shocking choice for these games. No control of the game whatsoever. I thought Foyth actually grew into the game unlike Jan but he was equally poor first half. Davies and Aurier also really substandard. Just so many simple mistakes defensively and offensively offered nothing.

Sissoko has been class recently but this wasn't the game for him. We needed Winks in there alongside Dier to get a bit more control on the ball. Eriksen was largely anonymous, as was Kane as he had absolutely no service and was just living off scraps and hopeful punts up to him. Son was our best player by a considerable distance and Arsenal couldn't really handle him, but we needed somebody to step up with him.

I really think Pochettino has to take a fair bit of criticism for yesterday. For some reason he has a bit of mental block when we go to the Emirates and doesn't learn. Team selection was wrong but then his inability to make changes cost us. After the two half time subs by Arsenal we really needed to regroup, but he failed to make a change until 13 minutes to go when we were 4-2 down and the game was over. He's a wonderful manager, but he definitely has his blind spots. We didn't lose because we didn't have the players or the squad, we lost because we were out thought and outfought yesterday and for me that is inexcusable.

I did have to laugh at the Arsenal fans and subs reaction to Dier's goal though - having just seen Aubameyang do the same in front of our away support, having watched people like Henry and Ian Wright give it to us after scoring, to react like that is pathetic. Dean to blame here also for not booking Auba, no idea what he was thinking but he was clueless all match. What is telling though is the reaction from Arsenal fans at the stadium and afterwards on social media, from the players also. You can see how the times have changed in North London by their reaction to winning a derby. It used to be expected them, a formality, but now it seems to be the opposite. I don't think I've seen celebrations like that or a reaction to a derby game for some time.

I'm not quite sure why the reaction for the Son pen, you can clearly see on the replays he treads on his standing foot, stupid tackle and pretty easy decision. Same for the one for the freekick, he literally is trodden on the back of the foot. Just a shame we weren't able to capitalise on such a good position at half time.

On the banana incident, it's disgraceful and I can assure you the guy was dealt with severely. It wasn't too far from me, and the guy was abused and pushed around by our support before being taken out. I'm on the Panna line of thinking that is likely not a pre-meditated thing and that it probably wasnt meant to have the connotations it did - but either way it's bloody moronic and I'm glad he will face full retribution. I've been going to Spurs for 20+ years and never seen or heard anything of the sort, it's not really our style - so it's really shameful that we've had this happen.

Goes back to my original point though - how did Dean not take the heat out of the situation moving Aubameyang away from there and booking him for his blatant antagonising celebration?

Overall incredibly disappointed to lose to them like that. More so in the past because we know we could and should be beating them and to collapse like that is Tottenham of old. We can't say we deserved anything from the game and credit to Emery for his changes which Pochettino just failed to respond to. Too many players off form yesterday and seemingly failing to understand the magnitude of the fixture. The celebrations for the goals were the only highlight of the day - scenes in the away end were spectacular. I stayed until the 3rd minute of injury when I finally gave up hope of any sort of recovery. Oh well, onwards and upwards - hopefully get back on track on Wednesday night. COYS

26 minutes ago, Storts said:

As always I try to give it a bit of time before responding to these threads, just as I did after the Chelsea game with different emotions. Always try to have a level head in responding instead of raw emotion coming out the ground.

Ultimately yesterday was highly frustrating - as we didn't turn up, again, and we were the second best team on the pitch for the majority of it. It's such a shame that our worst performance of the season seems to keep coming at the Emirates and for some reason Pochettino never seems to learn his lesson.

It was always going to be a tricky game when Pochettino decided to stick Foyth in there instead of Toby. I'm all for the rotation and having faith in young players, but in a derby game like that it was no place for Foyth. He should have played the experience of Jan and Toby. We were all over the place at the back though. Hugo was really poor, had no command of his area and he just should not be captain, it doesn't work for me. Jan was diabolical as the experienced centre back. Stupid penalty to give away, lots of errors and then the sending off. I haven't seen the tackle back, looked harsh from my seat but either way I don't think he needed to let the ref make a decision there. Particularly because Mike Dean is an absolutely shocking choice for these games. No control of the game whatsoever. I thought Foyth actually grew into the game unlike Jan but he was equally poor first half. Davies and Aurier also really substandard. Just so many simple mistakes defensively and offensively offered nothing.

Sissoko has been class recently but this wasn't the game for him. We needed Winks in there alongside Dier to get a bit more control on the ball. Eriksen was largely anonymous, as was Kane as he had absolutely no service and was just living off scraps and hopeful punts up to him. Son was our best player by a considerable distance and Arsenal couldn't really handle him, but we needed somebody to step up with him.

I really think Pochettino has to take a fair bit of criticism for yesterday. For some reason he has a bit of mental block when we go to the Emirates and doesn't learn. Team selection was wrong but then his inability to make changes cost us. After the two half time subs by Arsenal we really needed to regroup, but he failed to make a change until 13 minutes to go when we were 4-2 down and the game was over. He's a wonderful manager, but he definitely has his blind spots. We didn't lose because we didn't have the players or the squad, we lost because we were out thought and outfought yesterday and for me that is inexcusable.

I did have to laugh at the Arsenal fans and subs reaction to Dier's goal though - having just seen Aubameyang do the same in front of our away support, having watched people like Henry and Ian Wright give it to us after scoring, to react like that is pathetic. Dean to blame here also for not booking Auba, no idea what he was thinking but he was clueless all match. What is telling though is the reaction from Arsenal fans at the stadium and afterwards on social media, from the players also. You can see how the times have changed in North London by their reaction to winning a derby. It used to be expected them, a formality, but now it seems to be the opposite. I don't think I've seen celebrations like that or a reaction to a derby game for some time.

I'm not quite sure why the reaction for the Son pen, you can clearly see on the replays he treads on his standing foot, stupid tackle and pretty easy decision. Same for the one for the freekick, he literally is trodden on the back of the foot. Just a shame we weren't able to capitalise on such a good position at half time.

On the banana incident, it's disgraceful and I can assure you the guy was dealt with severely. It wasn't too far from me, and the guy was abused and pushed around by our support before being taken out. I'm on the Panna line of thinking that is likely not a pre-meditated thing and that it probably wasnt meant to have the connotations it did - but either way it's bloody moronic and I'm glad he will face full retribution. I've been going to Spurs for 20+ years and never seen or heard anything of the sort, it's not really our style - so it's really shameful that we've had this happen.

Goes back to my original point though - how did Dean not take the heat out of the situation moving Aubameyang away from there and booking him for his blatant antagonising celebration?

Overall incredibly disappointed to lose to them like that. More so in the past because we know we could and should be beating them and to collapse like that is Tottenham of old. We can't say we deserved anything from the game and credit to Emery for his changes which Pochettino just failed to respond to. Too many players off form yesterday and seemingly failing to understand the magnitude of the fixture. The celebrations for the goals were the only highlight of the day - scenes in the away end were spectacular. I stayed until the 3rd minute of injury when I finally gave up hope of any sort of recovery. Oh well, onwards and upwards - hopefully get back on track on Wednesday night. COYS

Dean was definitely the cause of the heated clashes that could of been avoided but he never dealt with it which led to a few players losing their heads.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Dean was definitely the cause of the heated clashes that could of been avoided but he never dealt with it which lead to a few players losing their heads.

Agreed he was awful - had zero control of the game. Needed a stronger ref yesterday 

Averof Panteli, 57, a van driver from Norwich, claimed he found the banana skin on the ground at the Emirates Stadium and hurled it without thinking of the racial implications.

The incident happened after Aubameyang's 10th-minute penalty gave Arsenal a 1-0 lead in Sunday's north London derby. Father-of-three Panteli claimed he reacted because he thought Aubameyang goaded the visiting Spurs fans as he celebrated his goal.

He said: 'I am not racist whatsoever. I am actually a Greek Cypriot. I am 100 per cent not a racist. I swear on my kids' lives that I am not that kind of guy.

'I apologise if I have offended anyone from both clubs, especially Tottenham. It was a mad thing I did and I never meant to offend anyone in any way. I never meant anything by it.

Archived