The better place to talk football.

Most Fierce Premier League Derby  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most fierce PL derby?

• The Manchester Derby
    • The Merseyside Derby
    • The North London Derby
    • The M23 Derby

The Manchester Derby has never historically been a national event where football is concerned.  If there's ever been serious sentiments there like the ones we could all cite from around the world, they've manifested themselves at certain times within history and maintained themselves a local issue.

No English football derby is what it once was or what I remember it to be but of the ones mentioned, the only derby that still conjures up resentment and a sense of hatred (not all that real anymore) is the North London Derby.

Every now and then you can overhear total garbage being spouted by certain types of people that take you back to at least the '80s. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
7 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

M23 Derby - 10 arrests.

North London Derby - 7 arrests.

The fear is real.

4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Merseyside Derby - £8000 of fines. 

Still the home of football up here.

East Midlands - having no clubs nearby that are of worthwhile rivalry? 

Priceless. 

• Subscriber

Not to sure of EPL Derby matches like any London club playing each other or maybe Newcastle & Sunderland when they play, now, talk about Scotland and the SPL it has to be Glasgow Rangers v Glasgow Celtic followed by Hearts of Midlothian v Hibernian, they can be brutal but not as bad as years gone by.

We live right behind the Hibernian stadium, Easter Road and when they play Hearts at home it can be bad, Leith, where I live is Hibernian territory and on match day at Easter Road when Hearts are visiting there is police everywhere, I have had to have a go at my son to stop visiting us on a Hibbee v Jambo match day with his Jambo top on as he is asking for trouble.   

• Subscriber
On 29/11/2018 at 22:16, The Palace Fan said:

In light of both @LFCMadLad and @Cannabis shivering away from their usual fishing selves and pretending they're not bothered about this weekend's fixture due to the fear of defeat, I thought I'd start this poll.

What do you think is the most fierce modern day rivalry in the Premier League?

@The Palace Fan, tbh you should have put in the poll an 'Other' option as I can't really tick either one of them because I chose Glasgow Rangers v Glasgow Celtic here in Scotland, you might get members in here who live in Ireland or Wales or even some of our European members in here, like, Real Madrid v Barcelona, AC Milan v Inter Milan etc, then they can tick 'Other' and tell us why, just a thought. :)

Edit: Just realized you said Premier League in the title, my whoops unless you changed that to Premier League and others. ,  

13 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

@The Palace Fan, tbh you should have put in the poll an 'Other' option as I can't really tick either one of them because I chose Glasgow Rangers v Glasgow Celtic here in Scotland, you might get members in here who live in Ireland or Wales or even some of our European members in here, like, Real Madrid v Barcelona, AC Milan v Inter Milan etc, then they can tick 'Other' and tell us why, just a thought. :)     

In my experience there is no fiercer rivalry in Europe than Barcelona v Real Madrid (Celtic v Rangers comes close but is different)... Then there's Red Star v Partizan in Serbia or Steaua v Uni. Craiova in Romania... Even Galatasaray v Fenerbahçe in Turkey is massive.

But the two biggest in club football anywhere in the world are River v Boca (as we've seen recently) and the aforementioned Barça v Real.  Nothing compares!

Infact forget it... Real Betis v Sevilla FC is the craziest! @carefreeluke

23 hours ago, SirBalon said:

In my experience there is no fiercer rivalry in Europe than Barcelona v Real Madrid (Celtic v Rangers comes close but is different)... Then there's Red Star v Partizan in Serbia or Steaua v Uni. Craiova in Romania... Even Galatasaray v Fenerbahçe in Turkey is massive.

But the two biggest in club football anywhere in the world are River v Boca (as we've seen recently) and the aforementioned Barça v Real.  Nothing compares!

Infact forget it... Real Betis v Sevilla FC is the craziest! @carefreeluke

Barcelona v Real Madrid is not as fierce as nearly any of the ones you mentioned, who have a real menace about them. Not advocating violence but you don't hear about the notorious fans of Barcelona and Real Madrid, where as with the others the atmosphere is special and intimidating. Barcelona are just a bunch of ponces in the main, one of the most middle class clubs around, the face of the predominantly middle-class Catalan nationalism and Real Madrid are not much better any more, just look at their pathetic away fans.

Barcelona v Real Madrid as fierece as River V Boca? Absolutely ridiculous.

33 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Barcelona v Real Madrid is not as fierce as nearly any of the ones you mentioned, who have a real menace about them. Not advocating violence but you don't hear about the notorious fans of Barcelona and Real Madrid, where as with the others the atmosphere is special and intimidating. Barcelona are just a bunch of ponces in the main, one of the most middle class clubs around, the face of the predominantly middle-class Catalan nationalism and Real Madrid are not much better any more, just look at their pathetic away fans.

Barcelona v Real Madrid as fierece as River V Boca? Absolutely ridiculous.

The rivalry continues to be extremely intense and you are referring to violence.  Since the 90s violence was first drawn out of the Camp Nou and subsequently a few years later from the Santiago Bernabéu when the notorious Boixos Nois (Barça Ultras) and the Ultra Sur (Real Madrid Ultras) were thrown out. 

The reason this country doesn't have rivalries like Boca etc etc is because we've moved on and aren't actually stuck in the 80's. 

Is this a competition who can be most violent? 

I could go to a football match and break a bottle in someone's face if I wanted, but I don't. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

The reason this country doesn't have rivalries like Boca etc etc is because we've moved on and aren't actually stuck in the 80's. 

Is this a competition who can be most violent? 

I could go to a football match and break a bottle in someone's face if I wanted, but I don't. 

MadLad by name.

MadLad by nature.

Archived