talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Maurizio Sarri Doesn't Think Callum Hudson-Odoi is Good Enough

Maurizio Sarri thinks Callum Hudson-Odoi isn't ready to play in the Premier League despite dazzling in the Europa League.

Hudson-Odoi, 18, starred for Chelsea as they beat 10-man PAOK 4-0 in the Europa League, scoring his first senior goal and providing an assist for Alvaro Morata.

The youngster impressed in pre-season under Sarri and was handed a start in the Community Shield but hasn't featured in the Premier League yet this campaign. This was his first start since the defeat to Manchester City at Wembley.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Not a single quote. What is this forum The Sun?

After all these years it really speaks volumes about your insecurities as a human being that you're unwilling to trust me:

Despite being impressed with the youngster's performance, Sarri wasn't getting carried away.

"I don't know if Hudson-Odoi is able for the Premier League at 18, especially in a big team," he said.

"If he's good enough to play in a big team in the Premier League at 18 then he could be the best player in Europe in two years.

"I think he played very well but the type of match was for his characteristics as they had 10 men after seven minutes. We only needed to play in the offensive phase, he's very able to do this but I want to see him in a match when he has to play in a defensive phase."

3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

After all these years it really speaks volumes about your insecurities as a human being that you're unwilling to trust me:

No mate just admins over the last two forums have been renowned for posting click bait shit 

• Administrator

Grow up @Danny.

I think Sarri needs to give Odoi a chance in the league. Play him in a local Derby on Sunday and see him perform. The talent is there. The attitude is no doubt there. The confidence is there. Play him instead of Willian who just seems shite and uninterested these days. 

Players only get experience if they are playing, He performed fairly well last night although admittedly we had the advantage of the extra man from very early on in the game but he did pretty much everything you could expect of him and got on the score sheet with a well taken goal.. 

Sarri talks about having enough experience in a 'big team' but if we keep loaning players out to clubs that don't always have big games then where is this experience supposed to come from?? Even if you didn't feel he was ready for the City, Liverpool, Spurs type games then fair enough but don't tell me that when we are doing well in a game that the younger players can't get 45 minutes or so playing time in the Premiership.. It takes time, You have to smooth out the rough edges and work on their skills but it's no good loaning out a player to say Derby for experience then after a season of that turning round and saying we doubt you have the quality we are looking for against United... 

Crazy to think about the players in the first team that are not playing well and yet we will trot them out game after game without batting an eyelid and yet even though some of them were no way near good enough for the 'big game' against Spurs we played them anyway?? Players form also goes up and down, some games they are outstanding others they are complete wank and we wonder why they get paid... It's the same for the youngsters, they are going to get games where it doesn't all come together on the day but that's no reason to back off playing them on a regular basis.. 

Our youth are like a big nasty spot right on the end of our nose... You know people are constantly looking at it and talking about it but if we choose to avoid looking in mirrors we can pretend it doesn't exist... 

He shouldn't be here!

Unless something miraculously changes, he'll waste a year of his development with us this season getting the odd game here and there like last night. The thing is Sarri has spoke this season about particular senior players and the team in general not being ready tactically but he still plays them. What's the difference when it comes to the younger players??

If Sarri doesn't think he is good enough, then he should leave. I haven't seen him but I know how frustrating it is to struggle and still have the reluctancy to give young players a proper chance. It's all the manager's preference. The manager isn't always right and they should be criticized by fans if they are doing something wrong, but at the end of the day they do have the final say and there is nothing anybody can do about it. They absolutely need to trust their own judgement in order to succeed.

3 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

He shouldn't be here!

Unless something miraculously changes, he'll waste a year of his development with us this season getting the odd game here and there like last night. The thing is Sarri has spoke this season about particular senior players and the team in general not being ready tactically but he still plays them. What's the difference when it comes to the younger players??

Really still surprises me that some of the younger players hold on at the club despite it being obvious from all the seasons gone before that they have a slim to no chance of getting regular game time... Great they are getting time in games like last night but lets be honest if we reach a quarter/semi final place they will be abandoned as non 'big game' players... It's a nonsense, they will forget how they helped get us there in the first place and throw them aside.. 

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Bayern are apparently interested in signing him.

It would be better for him if he could leave the club and get regular playing time else where... chances are we will sell him at some point and then he will shine and we will try to buy him back for a silly fee... 

Odoi is the most exciting attacking player we've had since Hazard. 

I get what Sarri is trying to say. How by playing against 10 men, we did have the advantage of attacking the whole game whilst our team had barely any defensive responsibilities, however his argument on 'tactics' I couldn't find more annoying. 

If it's tactics, why is it that Morata continues to play when he doesn't have the necessary qualities to be instrumental in our build up play? How is it tactics when Morata broke the off sides record in a start of a season? (18) How is it tactics when Morata can't find the ball in the net with the amount of chances. 

How is it tactics that Willian continues to play when he offers nothing in the final third, slows play down, and doesn't offer anything defensively given he gives the ball away in horrid positions?

Nah, not having any of that. We are not having another KDB moment because the manager think's he isn't good enough. Odoi should be getting more chances ahead of Willian. Only one of them can get better at this point in time. Either play him or put him on loan. Do not waste his time. 

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I'd be behind that. Certainly not one to Vitesse

I think we could probably do with another winger and like I said I think Gray on the left only encourages him to run into positions where he struggles for the end product. He's got more limitations than he realises. I speak to a Chelsea fan a lot and he thinks Hudson-Odoi is the real deal, is fed up of him getting no game time and that he'd rather loan him out. I genuinely think he would get starts here.

• Administrator
Just now, Dan said:

I think we could probably do with another winger and like I said I think Gray on the left only encourages him to run into positions where he struggles for the end product. He's got more limitations than he realises. I speak to a Chelsea fan a lot and he thinks Hudson-Odoi is the real deal, is fed up of him getting no game time and that he'd rather loan him out. I genuinely think he would get starts here.

can you imagine our fans with Hudson-Odoi xDxD. He'd get absolutely slaughtered.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Stan said:

can you imagine our fans with Hudson-Odoi xDxD. He'd get absolutely slaughtered.

For what reason in-particular do you think?

I don't think Gray actually gets that big a slating from our fans. Some think he's average and some think he's got loads of potential. I'm not sure Hudson-Odoi would be any worse in all honesty. Gray has got some talent but he's a very frustrating player too.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Dan said:

For what reason in-particular do you think?

I don't think Gray actually gets that big a slating from our fans. Some think he's average and some think he's got loads of potential. I'm not sure Hudson-Odoi would be any worse in all honesty. Gray has got some talent but he's a very frustrating player too.

Not in comparison to Gray, just in general.

Some of our fans write players off before they've even kicked a ball for us. I think sometimes fans forget how young some of our players are as well. Some youngsters got slated before form picked up and now they're eating some humble pie - Chilwell is a prime example of that.

Agree with your analysis of Gray, though. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Stan said:

Not in comparison to Gray, just in general.

Some of our fans write players off before they've even kicked a ball for us. I think sometimes fans forget how young some of our players are as well. Some youngsters got slated before form picked up and now they're eating some humble pie - Chilwell is a prime example of that.

Agree with your analysis of Gray, though. 

Fair enough.

I do agree we've gotten quite bad for it as a fanbase and there is every chance the likes of Gray comes good. Iheanacho I've got to be honest I don't rate, Gray is frustrating but in fairness I do think we missed his directness, Chilwell I can hand on heart say I did think we should've persisted with him, although he was quite a way off being good enough last year - but he really has kicked on this season and he's genuinely improved his game. The likes of those two, arguably Ndidi (who I don't think has really improved in nearly two years here) and dare I say it, even Maddison could do with taking a leaf out of his book.

I think we've become quite toxic as a fanbase in general to be honest, and I'm talking both sides of this Puel argument here. What happened with Vichai brought everyone together but I think it seems back to before now, and I'm not surprised at that.

Archived