• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Slavery in Libya

Recommended Posts

It's horrific to read, makes you realise how lucky we have it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slavery goes on everywhere, even here in the U.K., if you're using drugs or prostitution you're probably contributing in some form. But I'm not aware of anything as open and as unapologetic as this in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Slavery goes on everywhere, even here in the U.K., if you're using drugs or prostitution you're probably contributing in some form. But I'm not aware of anything as open and as unapologetic as this in the world.

Yeah there was a news story a while back of some eastern european migrants who were living in caravans and I think being used for labour. Eventually the police caught wind of it but it must have been going on for a few years.

There was a story as well of a Chinese lady who basically had to stay in this couples house for maybe years, because she brought over to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another success story brought to you by the cancer known as neoconservatism.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would he interesting to see what people expect of their journey before they actually set off. See what the difference between perception and reality is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

It would he interesting to see what people expect of their journey before they actually set off. See what the difference between perception and reality is.

Watch that documentary of Ross Kenp's I posted, it touches on Eastern European sex workers and their experience of it. It's fucking horrible what's going on under our noses, the case of the lituathian girl duped is horrific

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's almost always the same old story, young girls are being promised well-paid jobs in foreign countries, and once they get there, their passports get taken away and then they get coerced into prostitution. Pretty much the same with labor trafficking. 

Funny how in that Ross Kemp video the alleged Lithuanian gang of traffickers speak Russian though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really puts into perspective how odd the Civil War in the USA was. Near two-hundred years ago thousands of people died knowingly or not for a war of culture and slavery. I think a lot of Americans take the Emancipation Proclamation for granted when slavery is absolutely rampant all over the world. I think it's a lot to do with education in the USA. I think it's drilled into people's minds that the South was evil and there were only slaves of African descent. I never really encountered any sort of dialect about slavery till I moved stateside and I thought that a country seemingly so obsessed with it's past would be more knowledgeable about the nasty stuff happening all over.

Not suprising at all but shocking all the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shit, Germans were even used as 'forced labour' for reparations for WW2. In other words, a bunch of Germans were slaves to the Allies to repent for actions they mostly had no choice on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2017 at 7:44 PM, nudge said:

It's almost always the same old story, young girls are being promised well-paid jobs in foreign countries, and once they get there, their passports get taken away and then they get coerced into prostitution. Pretty much the same with labor trafficking. 

Funny how in that Ross Kemp video the alleged Lithuanian gang of traffickers speak Russian though.

Ah I didn't know that, so are you saying that they're Russian's posing as Lithuania's? 

Also Spike it was a trade war, the slavery justification for it still lives strong in the mind. Lincoln was keen to resettle all coloured people in South America if I remember correctly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Ah I didn't know that, so are you saying that they're Russian's posing as Lithuania's? 

Also Spike it was a trade war, the slavery justification for it still lives strong in the mind. Lincoln was keen to resettle all coloured people in South America if I remember correctly 

I know. The fact remains that slavery was an important part of the war whether (as the slave-owning was integral to maximise trade profits of the upper-class of the south) it was the crux or not wasn't my point.  Yes, Lincoln was a notorious racist but he also didn't believe in slavery.

The south would have had a better economy if they employed their own people to work rather than abuse slave labour but it is was easy for the Confederacy to drum up support with 'they are forcing us to change'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Spike said:

I know. The fact remains that slavery was an important part of the war whether (as the slave-owning was integral to maximise trade profits of the upper-class of the south) it was the crux or not wasn't my point.  Yes, Lincoln was a notorious racist but he also didn't believe in slavery.

The south would have had a better economy if they employed their own people to work rather than abuse slave labour but it is was easy for the Confederacy to drum up support with 'they are forcing us to change'

Oh yeah trade was the start slavery was a justification akin to Iraq's WMD's no doubt. I'm simplifying massively there but it's Saturday night I've got a cigar and a beer I can't be arsed to type out a factual account. I'd suspect we're near enough on the same page with it anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Ah I didn't know that, so are you saying that they're Russian's posing as Lithuania's? 

Not necessarily, I can well imagine Russians and Lithuanians working together in a human trafficking ring; a lot of garbage has left the country for the UK in the past 20 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nudge said:

Not necessarily, I can well imagine Russians and Lithuanians working together in a human trafficking ring; a lot of garbage has left the country for the UK in the past 20 years.

the UK brothels are overflowing with Eastern European women it's a shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement