talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mark Hughes Sacked by Southampton

• Administrator

I'm guessing his fate was sealed a few weeks ago and his board gave him an ultimatum for a certain amount of points by a certain date, which he failed to live up to. 

He'd outstayed his welcome at Southampton anyway. They were shite last season narrowly escaping relegation and looked to have a similar story this season too. Surprised he'd lasted this long. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Just can't see him managing an EPL club anymore, maybe a Championship club might take him or a 1st or 2nd division club, just keeping my fingers crossed that if Jose does get the bullet from United that they, whoever, don't get the bright idea of making him manager because he played for United. 

• Subscriber

He's an absolute tedious manager. Shocking record at Southampton and been past it for almost a decade. To be fair though Southampton have become an equally tedious club, and need a manager in who's going to give them that identity again.

Also pretty funny now how only drawing with United is a sackable offence. 

As many of people have said... I'm surprised he even got the job and it's Southampton's fault in the first place for appointing him. The last time he looked any good was when he was at Blackburn. And his time at Stoke was just making an already pretty dull club even more dull so I don't know what the fuck the Southampton board were thinking.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

He's an absolute tedious manager. Shocking record at Southampton and been past it for almost a decade. To be fair though Southampton have become an equally tedious club, and need a manager in who's going to give them that identity again.

Also pretty funny now how only drawing with United is a sackable offence. 

Thought this as well xD it was apparently due to winning none of their three games in the past week. If he knew this before the game against us in the cup he must've left it thinking he'd done something wrong in a past life. They hit the underside of the bar twice, had a goal chalked off from VAR, missed an open goal and then lost it on penalties.

Heard earlier their plan is to bring in Hasenhuttl (good appointment for me, he'd have been one of my picks if Puel was to go) and to try and bring back Paul Mitchell from Leipzig, although they'd surely do very well to pull that off. He likewise was someone I wanted us to try and bring in in some capacity.

Honestly don't know what they expected when they appointed him. Whoever it was that has left Southampton that was bringing in the likes of Adkins, Pochettino, Koeman...not to mention the playing staff to go with. Saints need them back quick cos no way are they still at the club.

• Subscriber

Ralph Hasenhuttl: New Southampton boss prepared for 'tough challenge'

6 hours ago|Southampton

New Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl says he wants to "get his name known in the Premier League" with the "challenge" that awaits him at St Mary's.

Hasenhuttl was named Saints manager on Wednesday, replacing Mark Hughes who was sacked earlier in the week.

Southampton, who suffered a 3-1 defeat to Tottenham on Wednesday, are currently 18th in the Premier League.

"It is a logical next step in my career," said the Austrian, 51.

"It is my goal to get my name known here in the Premier League.

"I had a few successful years in Germany and was thinking about my next step, and it challenged me to stand in front of a new team with a new language."

Hasenhuttl led former club RB Leipzig to a second-place finish in the Bundesliga in his first full season in charge, after taking over following their promotion from the second tier.

But he inherits a Southampton side who have picked up just nine points from their opening 15 games of the season, with a visit to Cardiff next on Saturday.

"The first target is to get out of the relegation zone. The focus for the near future has to be to move as quickly as we can up the table," he said. "It is tough but I am not frightened.

"We have a lot of games coming up and if you know my football it is about training sessions and habits so when you don't have the chance to train it can be difficult to change things.

"My goal is to develop the players as quickly as possible. It is about getting the defence stabilised quickly."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46471350

I don't want to turn this into a black managers discussion but Hughes was sacked from Stoke then walked straight into Southampton. Someone pointed out the other day how this happens a lot. Would this happen with a black manager?

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't want to turn this into a black managers discussion but Hughes was sacked from Stoke then walked straight into Southampton. Someone pointed out the other day how this happens a lot. Would this happen with a black manager?

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Yes.

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

So do you think there is any issue with black managers not been given a chance?

45 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Yes.

Yes 

Chris Hughton was made the manager of Newcastle United when Alan Shearer got them relegated to the Championship then got them promoted to the EPL where he had them in mid-table and he got sacked, then he managed Birmingham City where he left to join Norwich City, left on mutual terms then joined Brighton & Hove Albion in the Championship and guided them into the EPL, they are still there.

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

So do you think there is any issue with black managers not been given a chance?

The figures surprise me but when certain black managers have been given a chance (Paul Ince, John Barnes, Chris Kiwomya, Terry Connor etc.) they have severely under performed.

Had one of them finished 9th for four seasons in a row (or whatever it was) like Mark Hughes did with Stoke I imagine they would have walked in to another Premier League job.

3 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Yes 

Chris Hughton was made the manager of Newcastle United when Alan Shearer got them relegated to the Championship then got them promoted to the EPL where he had them in mid-table and he got sacked, then he managed Birmingham City where he left to join Norwich City, left on mutual terms then joined Brighton & Hove Albion in the Championship and guided them into the EPL, they are still there.

We sacked Hughton he didn’t leave in mutual terms.

Archived