talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FA Cup 2018/19 Third Round Draw

football forum

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

They’ve really ruined the FA Cup Third Round here, haven’t they? A load of games on at half 12 on the Saturday, only a handful on at the traditional time of 3 on a Saturday and a load more “selected for overseas broadcasting” on the Sunday at 2. What a load of rubbish.

No offence but I can’t imagine there’s kids in Rajasthan, Rio or Rosario foaming at the  mouth at the prospect of Palace v Grimsby. 

Only the early rounds have those kick-off times, as stupid as they are. In those areas you mention, as well as in China, South Korea, Australia etc etc - I can't imagine someone is having those same feelings at Slough vs Gillingham for example. 

It's not a good sign though with @Marc's post stating Norwich's game has been moved back to suit overseas fans.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Sunday 2pm games primarily as it allows me to go to them - Alfreton 1-4 Fleetwood and Swindon 0-1 Woking so far this year - and gives a bit of exposure to fixtures that are decent in themselves but unlikely to demand being chosen for dedicated coverage, as well as probably getting more punters through the gates than they would for a Saturday 3pm - certainly for the earlier rounds at least that are non league affairs.

However, splitting them further into Saturday early, 3pm and evening is disgraceful - Blackburn going to Newcastle, Grimsby to South London or Portsmouth to fucking Norfolk for half 5 in the middle of winter all because we are led to believe a bloke in Shanghai or Chicago may suddenly care about what Bristol City is is just begging people over here to not give a fuck. Shameful.

Would be very interested in the TV viewing figures for individual games that have been moved. I can’t imagine Preston North End vs Doncaster Rovers will have many more people watching it worldwide than people actually attending the game live. 

I’ve never liked the some games on Saturday and some on Sunday approach in the earlier rounds and this move is not much better. 

Was tempted with a game in London as I thought something like Palace v Grimsby would be a Saturday 3pm but will not bother now, will probably head over to Bishop’s Stortford v Kingstonian or some local non-league game instead. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived