talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Underrated moments in Football History

football forum

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The greatest singular event English football has ever had or will ever be likely to have...

1989 Liverpool v Arsenal (last game of the season) at Anfield with The Gunners needing to beat a great great Liverpool side by two clear goals to win the title.

Not enough credit is given to that and I get it because football was still amateur and the Premier League still hadn’t been put into action. 

12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The greatest singular event English football has ever had or will ever be likely to have...

1989 Liverpool v Arsenal (last game of the season) at Anfield with The Gunners needing to beat a great great Liverpool side by two clear goals to win the title.

Not enough credit is given to that and I get it because football was still amateur and the Premier League still hadn’t been put into action. 

Yeah was gonna mention that. People talk about Man City v QPR all the time...but that was nothing compared to Anfield 89.

• Subscriber
47 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Lol, I forgot about that one, we were living down South then and our son was at college at 16 giving me all the shite how his Liverpool was going to beat the Gunners and win the league, I met him outside a pub and he didn't know what the final score was as I told him his beloved Liverpool got beat by two clear goals and the Gunners (under George Grayham if I remember right?) were League Champions, he thought I was bullshitting until he checked the score inside the pub and told me to fuck off, he had the right arse ache then.    

14 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Gerrard slipping on his arse to give away the title. Yes it received national news and exploded to catastrophic levels but not nearly as funny as it should have been, a national holiday should have been declared for how funny it was. Couldn't have happened to a nicer chap :rofl:.

Why can't all football banter be reproduced and executed like that!

Just goes to show one can obtain exactly the same if not, more laughs with intelligence like this without resorting to aggressive stuff or nonsensical and offensive language. ;)

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

You know what... That was an amazing achievement, nobody can deny that.  But the greatest thing about that moment apart from the fact Aleti beat every prognostic anyone could've mustered at the start of that campaign (considering how powerful both Barça and Real were at the time)... Also taking exception to Thibaut Courtois in all of this (scumbag)...

For me the greatest thing about that moment was the whole of a packet to the rafters Camp Nou applauding and chanting Atleeeeeetiiiiii at the final whistle.

Nobody could ever say that wasn't an emotional football moment.

7 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Never saw it live but when I watch the video it gives me goosebumps

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Watford v Leicester encapsulates the rollercoaster of emotions of a Football fan in the space of about thirty seconds. 

Convinced that moment really did rile our players into a sense of extraordinary desire.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived