talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sarri's bubble isn't really a bubble anymore

football forum

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything went to shit the fucking moment he decided to, for no valid reason whatsoever, start Morata over Giroud against United at home. Butchered our momentum and came with a Downhill in performances since. 

Like I said, Sarri is to blame for his selections. But there is honestly so much he can do when the personnel isn't good enough. 

It's called football!

I am Infact talking about the same issues regarding not a defeat on another thread in relation to a different game and two different sides.

This isn't Sarri's team!  He's doing well so far and he is using his squad which is what he has to do as the season is very long.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Everything went to shit the fucking moment he decided to, for no valid reason whatsoever, start Morata over Giroud against United at home. Butchered our momentum and came with a Downhill in performances since. 

Like I said, Sarri is to blame for his selections. But there is honestly so much he can do when the personnel isn't good enough. 

Italian flag, supports an English team, American IP. 

200.gif

7 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Chelsea fans in meltdown a few games after their best start ever.

Sarri out?

Hardly a meltdown if we point out a weakness or a bad performance you surely agree? I always praise a good performance, but in the bad i point out to things that weren't good or players that were not good. Doesn't mean i am displeased or that i want Sarri out. Saying all this i know this wasn't pointed at me just in general for the Chelsea fans.

There are two factors here from my personal point of view (I may be wrong and they look too easy to be honest) which are;

1. A coach with an embedded football philosophy
  2. Seemingly good tools to use but they don't fit

Anyone that has watched Italian football over the past 4 to 5 years will know perfectly well that Maurizio Sarri is different from your typical Italian coach and his teams stuck out like a sore thumb in Serie 'A'  (sore in a positive, not painful negative).

All coaches with an embedded manner of how they want their teams to play always have odd moments at the beginning of their tenure at new clubs where for strange reasons there's a fluctuation in performances and met with incomprehensible results that on paper should've been tailor made for positivity. Look at Klopp with Liverpool and even Guardiola with Manchester City.

The second point are the pieces he has to use on his personal chessboard.  The cogs in the machinery... They're all good cogs but they're odd ones!  Whether or not they fit his (Sarri) view of how he wants his team to reproduce its football is something to look at and a bit more complicated.

But I've seen that a lot of questions are asked on the frontline mechanics and it's fairly obvious reading views from the Chelsea fans on here that they're not totally satisfied with what they've got.

What we do know is that both Giroud and Morata are totally contrasting forwards... They're both full 9s but have very different qualities.  Both have the same big problem with finishing moves and turning them into goals (God only knows how frustrating Olivier was at Arsenal with this), but both have what many strikers don't have which is the art form of knowing how to get into great scoring positions,. This is where even a professional coach can suffer from the same thing a football fan can suffer from because knowledge can only go so far and facts are facts unless we all want to venture into the unknown and start to predict by becoming soothsayers.

There are different qualities there with both players which mostly boil down to physical prowess.

What's for sure is that if both strikers were banging on form, Sarri would much prefer Morata to Giroud because the Spaniard seemingly fits more into a combinative style of football which is more in tune with how Sarri sees the game and the future of his team whereas when there is a lack of confidence in front of goal from all the pieces he has at his disposal, it's suddenly different and opposing qualities that are needed like for example holding up the ball and slowing the play up front with force and stature (something Giroud's body can offer) to bring other players into play although with a much more primitive and predictable football.

It's all very strategical for Sarri and where he can go with it all.  But there aren't all that many options out there in Europe to bring in so as to replace.  You always get the impression that if Sarri really had his way he'd play without a pure 9 and have a more flexible frontline like he had at Napoli with Insigne and Callejón... With the departure of Higuaín who was a target piece up front, Napoli became more unpredictable and clocked up their greatest tally of points in their history.  Sarri's was freer to choose and vary the attack game to game because he didn't have the psychological barrier of being forced to play a sure thing in the shape of Gonzalo.

That's where the answers lie in my view with a vision to the future and who could possibly arrive.  It's not so much a 9 Sarri will be wishing for, but more like options for his vision on football... Maybe Mertens (although with the Belgian he never trusted him as a starter), maybe even the little magician himself, Lorenzo Insigne?  Who knows because he already has Pedro and Callejón would clash there.

9 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Chelsea fans in meltdown a few games after their best start ever.

Sarri out?

xD

Can we be serious for a minute... 

It's his first season and he has done well so far, didn't honestly expect us to be doing so well from the off this early and thought it might have taken a bit of time to build that up, it's just a rough patch and I am sure Sarri is already thinking about players he wants in to build but at the moment he is playing with what he has got.. 

It's a wobble and nothing more... disappointed more in the players than the manager for last nights game although him continuing to play the likes of Morata despite being woefully out of form is a worry... I am probably more concerned that the likes of Reuben Loftus-Cheek will get sidelined now as a result of that game despite being the one that created our best chance... 

23 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I am probably more concerned that the likes of Reuben Loftus-Cheek will get sidelined now as a result of that game despite being the one that created our best chance... 

I watched quite a bit of the game (not live obviously) after I saw the Man Utd v Arsenal draw, but from what I did see (not that I'm pinpointing him at all but just referring to your comment on him) of Loftus-Cheek, he didn't exactly offer any security in midfield... Although like I alluded to, he wasn't a reason of focus for the negative result.

But the main reason I'm picking out that comment is because of you mentioning the fact he (Reuben) created Chelsea's best opportunity.  That sort of mindset is what kept Özil in starting XIs for ages at Arsenal. People would read into his assists stats and assume that those questioning him were doolaly.  Creating chances or assists are important but these things especially when they occur in a sparse moment during 90 minutes are just a situation of opportunism from the player himself and if there was a good chance created it could've come from anywhere as even defenders sometimes make a great goal scoring chance!  If the only opportunity had been created by one of your centre-backs, nobody would be asking for said player to be switched into a more creative role as the result of it.

But I agree with your post and the basis for that comment I picked out because the result was due to a bad team performance and picking on individuals won't be what Sarri will be analysing today.

26 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I watched quite a bit of the game (not live obviously) after I saw the Man Utd v Arsenal draw, but from what I did see (not that I'm pinpointing him at all but just referring to your comment on him) of Loftus-Cheek, he didn't exactly offer any security in midfield... Although like I alluded to, he wasn't a reason of focus for the negative result.

But the main reason I'm picking out that comment is because of you mentioning the fact he (Reuben) created Chelsea's best opportunity.  That sort of mindset is what kept Özil in starting XIs for ages at Arsenal. People would read into his assists stats and assume that those questioning him were doolaly.  Creating chances or assists are important but these things especially when they occur in a sparse moment during 90 minutes are just a situation of opportunism from the player himself and if there was a good chance created it could've come from anywhere as even defenders sometimes make a great goal scoring chance!  If the only opportunity had been created by one of your centre-backs, nobody would be asking for said player to be switched into a more creative role as the result of it.

But I agree with your post and the basis for that comment I picked out because the result was due to a bad team performance and picking on individuals won't be what Sarri will be analysing today.

I am referring more to the fact that even though the team got a bad result that he will probably forsake the younger players in the hope of bringing a bit of consistency back into our play even though that means sticking with the tried many times and failed Morata for example.. Morata offers fuck all defensively and fuck all going forward currently... Willian was poor as well but I could point the finger at a few players last night that just played badly.. We lack that quality of calmness on the ball in games like that, where hoofing it somewhere toward goal in what seems like panic and desperation is costly.. Players like Fabregas for example, I would have expected more from a player like that then just hoofing it. The bloke can make a pinpoint pass from midfield that's spot on and yet in front of goal and under pressure he attacked the ball like a 19 year old playing his first game... Some of our corners and crosses were awful as well last night, they just soaked that all up no problem... 

• Subscriber

The Russian Tsar Abramovich eats Chelsea managers up like fish and chips, no trophies for his Chelsea this season then it's bye, bye, Sarri, saying that he can have Jose if he wants and we will take Sarri, I think Sarri will do a lot better with our squad than Jose can. :coffee:

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

I am referring more to the fact that even though the team got a bad result that he will probably forsake the younger players in the hope of bringing a bit of consistency back into our play even though that means sticking with the tried many times and failed Morata for example.. Morata offers fuck all defensively and fuck all going forward currently... Willian was poor as well but I could point the finger at a few players last night that just played badly.. We lack that quality of calmness on the ball in games like that, where hoofing it somewhere toward goal in what seems like panic and desperation is costly.. Players like Fabregas for example, I would have expected more from a player like that then just hoofing it. The bloke can make a pinpoint pass from midfield that's spot on and yet in front of goal and under pressure he attacked the ball like a 19 year old playing his first game... Some of our corners and crosses were awful as well last night, they just soaked that all up no problem... 

I would expect part of the reason for all of that could be attributed to how well Wolves done because when the big side loses or our team loses we tend to pick apart our own difficiencies on the day when many times it’s also down to the opponent.

What I’m saying is that it’s football and in football you lose against an unexpected side for whatever reason. It’s only a defeat and suddenly all sorts of connections to previous games are being brought into the fray to try and legitimise a reason behind why someone is getting it wrong and us the fans know better. 

Sarri should and will be given time. The club bent over backwards to sign him because they believed in his vision and football to bring the club forward. I am still adamant in saying that we are lucky to have him. 

What I blame Sarri most however, is that he is the reason momentum has stopped. Before United at home, our front three consisted of Hazard, Giroud, and Pedro. Those three were flying high, and Hazard had arguably his greatest ever start to a season. Giroud wasn't scoring, but his link up and hold up play contributed a lot, especially for Hazard. Morata scores a couple goals against PAOK, and all of a sudden Sarri feels he is worthy of a start against United. It was that moment that fucked everything up.  

Now, what I don't blame Sarri, is his use of rotation. Morata and Willian especially, should be good enough to be rotated in and deliver similar results. But they are not. It's amazing how Chelsea fans will blame Sarri for not rotating enough, and then when he does, they blame him for not playing the same XI that works. You couldn't make it up xD

The likes of Morata, Willian, Alonso, Luiz, and even Azpilicueta, are not good enough in this system. When bottom half clubs start targeting your fullbacks because they know they aren't technically gifted enough to work around pressure, that's when you know there is an issue. 

Champions league is the main and only goal this season. A trophy with it would be a bonus. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

xD

Can we be serious for a minute... 

It's his first season and he has done well so far, didn't honestly expect us to be doing so well from the off this early and thought it might have taken a bit of time to build that up, it's just a rough patch and I am sure Sarri is already thinking about players he wants in to build but at the moment he is playing with what he has got.. 

It's a wobble and nothing more... disappointed more in the players than the manager for last nights game although him continuing to play the likes of Morata despite being woefully out of form is a worry... I am probably more concerned that the likes of Reuben Loftus-Cheek will get sidelined now as a result of that game despite being the one that created our best chance... 

Haha me... serious.... nahhh @True Blue

It was in jest anyway, hence my “ridiculous” comment in the other thread about Sarri’s bubble bursting. 

I don’t think he has a bubble to burst... more like a cigarette burning out. 

23 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Haha me... serious.... nahhh @True Blue

It was in jest anyway, hence my “ridiculous” comment in the other thread about Sarri’s bubble bursting. 

I don’t think he has a bubble to burst... more like a cigarette burning out. 

I agree with you mate. I don’t think any criticism thrown at Sarri should be permitted under blatant fairness. It would be absolutely ridiculous. 

Archived