talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ryan Christie Named Player of the Month

football forum

Celtic midfielder Ryan Christie has been named Scottish Premiership player of the month for November.

Christie is in the midst of a terrific run of form for Brendan Rodgers' side with six goals in his last nine appearances.

His strike against Aberdeen on Sunday won Celtic the Scottish League Cup and he also scored in Wednesday's 1-1 draw at Motherwell.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Ryan Christie: Premiership player of the month now 'feeling at home' at Celtic

3 hours ago|Celtic

Ryan Christie admits he is now "feeling at home" as a Celtic player after his recent form saw him named Scottish Premiership player of the month.

The midfielder, 23, started five games for his club and two for Scotland during November, scoring twice.

He has since scored the winner in the League Cup final against Aberdeen, and a sixth goal in his last nine club games against Motherwell on Wednesday.

"It's just been nice to get some regular game time," Christie said.

"I've managed to keep myself in the starting 11, which is always going to help a player find a bit of form. I have also been lucky enough to chip in with a few goals and assists, but that is my job as an attacking midfielder.

"Staying in the team has given me the momentum to really get my game going. One of the reasons I signed a new contract is I now feel I can have a serious part to play in helping bring success to this club. I am feeling at home."

Christie signed a new three-year Celtic contract last month, having spent time back on loan at Inverness Caledonian Thistle in 2015, and then with Aberdeen over the past two seasons.

'The manager always let me know I had a chance'

After emerging from what he admitted were "a few frustrating times", he paid tribute to Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers for retaining faith in his ability.

"The manager has been brilliant with me," Christie added. "Even when I went out on loan to Aberdeen, he made sure he pulled me in and let me know what he thought was maybe missing in my game and what I needed to work on, and what benefits going out on loan would have .

"That has all paid off now that I've come back. That season-and-a-half at Aberdeen, I was playing non-stop football for the first time in my career. It was hugely beneficial.

"Fair play to the manager, he always had that belief and didn't really look to push me out the door. He always let me know I had a chance at Celtic."

Christie, who won his fourth and fifth Scotland caps in the wins over Albania and Israel last month, believes the expectations at Pittodrie made him stronger on his return to Celtic.

"A lot is said about the pressure we are undergoing into games but you learn to deal with it," he added.

"That was one of the aspects about Aberdeen which benefitted me. There was still pressure to win week in, week out and that was something to learn from and deal with, so when I came back to Celtic, I was ready for it."

Celtic, who are a point behind Kilmarnock at the top of the Premiership with two games in hand, host the leaders on Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46466809

Archived