talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Josef Martinez Wins MLS MVP

Atlanta United striker Josef Martinez has been named the MLS' Most Valuable Player.

The 25-year-old Venezuela international saw off competition on the shortlist from his team-mate Miguel Almiron (runner-up), LA Galaxy forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic (third), DC United's Wayne Rooney (fourth) and Los Angeles FC's Carlos Vela (fifth).

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josef Martinez absolutely deserved this. Not a debate for me.

As for the other 4, I think Vela and Rooney both deserved a place. Ruidiaz should have been in over Ibra though. He came in to a struggling Seattle and literally carried them on his own to a bye in the playoff round, and bailed them out as long as he could against Portland. Sure he's only been there half a season, but so has Rooney and both of them deserved a place in the award rankings.

Ibrahimovic not only failed to carry his average team, but he was also unprofessional. Sure he scored lots of goals but again, in what context? Missed a few games because of artificial fields which is pathetic. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Frank de Boer: Atlanta United name former Crystal Palace boss as head coach

1 hour ago | Football

Ex-Crystal Palace boss Frank de Boer has returned to management with Major League Soccer champions Atlanta United.

The 48-year-old Dutchman has been out of work since he was sacked by Palace in September 2017 after just five games - and 77 days - in charge.

His previous job - at Inter Milan - lasted just 85 days before his sacking in November 2016.

Prior to that, he won the Dutch title four years in a row - from 2011-2014 - as Ajax boss.

De Boer had stints at Ajax and Barcelona, as well as six months at Rangers, during his playing career, and was later Netherlands assistant manager.

He has signed a "multi-year contract" to become the second manager in Atlanta United's history, succeeding Gerardo Martino.

Martino led them to the MLS Cup earlier this month, winning the competition in just their second season in existence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46667338

• 1 month later...
On 06/12/2018 at 19:07, José said:

Wtf!!! Surely there is a mistake, where is the elite Ruidíaz :ay: lmao, Vela deserved to be higher though. 

Just saw this, but I agree. I absolutely love Vela.

Josef was clearly #1, Almiron #2, and then I'd put Vela above Ibra. 

• 1 month later...

Archived