talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2018/19 - 7-11th December, 2018

football forum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play to Daniel Farke. That's some team spirit he's installed to make sure they keep winning matches so late on. Credit to Bolton for not giving up given the week they've had.

A fortunate penalty for Leeds to get the win but given there luck with injuries they wouldn't care. It says a lot about the team they keep winning these difficult games with all their injury problems too. QPR looked impressive once again. 

The match on Friday's night seemed like a joy to watch. Always going to be goals in that. It will be interesting to see how they both kick on next year.

The match against Sheffield United really summed up Reading's season. They haven't been playing badly but it's little moments here and there that keep letting them down. Sheffield United on the plus side seem to have learned from last season and imagine they'll be in the playoffs come the end of the season.

Preston seem to still be going under the radar with their winning streak. Declan Rudd doing more than enough to make up for last week. Speaks volumes that they kept Grabban, Lolley and Cash quiet with the form they're in.

A good result for Blackburn against 'Boro. Mulgrew again with a set piece and Bradley Dack looked lively again. A great goal by Assombalonga to even things up though.

Jack Marriott seems to be updating well for Derby. Firmly back in the promotion mix after that win. Not the type of match that will define Wigan's season but I imagine they'll wonder if they could have got something with ten men.

I can see why Garry Monk feels harshly done by with three penalty decisions turned round. The first one definitely seemed to be a penalty. However, you can't take it away from Bristol City that they played really well to grind out a result.

Thomas Frank seems to be having a torrid time of it at Brentford. 3-0 in 20 minutes must have made horrid viewing. Fair play for the fight back but 7 defeats in 9 does not make good viewing.

At least it's better that Ipswich 0 wins in 8. Getting played by Stoke City who seem to have a complex issue themselevs is very worrying. Really worried for them if Lambert can't inspire them against his old club.

I can't imagine Hull City keeping Kamil Grosicki next month. He's been consistently good for them and they're lucky to still have him  Millwall however should be very dissapointed not to get three points given the situation they find themselves in.

That all said, I imagine the manager at Sheffield Wednesday will be the next manager to go. They didn't look very good at all against one of their Yorkshire rivals. Rotherham must be delighted with how there season is going though.

That was a strange game v QPR. We started so well, creating chances and it definitely felt like it was only a matter of time and then one hopeful punt forward, we make a defensive error and they scored. Game became uphill from there.

Their goal was a prime example of why we will not always get away with playing a midfielder in a defender's position. As is the extent of injuries, it's the only choice we really have mind and I find it hard to be too harsh on Kalvin Phillips who has had to adapt his game massively this season.

I think the most crucial thing we did was scoring right at the end of the first half. That would have hurt QPR. It meant we could come the 2nd half a bit more relaxed with less panic and more composure.

And that is exactly what we did. Created an opening and they gave away a penalty. I have seen worse one's not given, won't lie, but when you haven't had a penalty for 14 months, 418 days, 53 games and 5,273 minutes of Football, 1-1 in a crucial game, you will take them anyway they come. Thank god we didn't miss it.

We should have put the game to bed but as always in this league, if you are only a goal up with 15 mins to go, you are asking for trouble and it nearly came. Safe to say we rode our luck a little at the end but all in all, a deserved victory.

I just hope we can continue to build momentum now. So many games coming at us and you just need to keep getting through them with what you have. No doubt, tiredness is going to creep in and we don't really have the maneuverability to chop and change the team too much until players start coming back so this could be a defining point in the season now.

• Subscriber

Disappointed at the weekend to go 1-0 up against Boro then concede when playing against 10 men. Before the game a point would have been a good result but we should have held on for all 3.

Surprise in League 1 tonight, runaway leaders Portsmouth trailing Charlton at home, 2-0.

Always slightly disappointing not to win against 10 men, but Boro are probably one of the toughest sides in the league to play with 10 men as they are so well organised, hard working and pretty defensive in their set up/style of play. It sounds like we should have got a couple of goals before they equalised, but I am still happy with a point away at Boro and 4 points from our last 2 games. 

Mulgrew is one of the best free kick takers in the football league - pretty much always hits the target and has a very good success rate from dead ball situations (free kicks, penalties).

• The topic was unpinned

Archived