talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Game of the Year - 2018 Edition

football forum

• Subscriber

So, the Game Awards in Santa Monica just got done and of course the title that came out with some of the best hype this year took major honors.

semzsasd6r221.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

But that's not what this thread is really about, its about what we've played this year that we thought was fantastic and captured our imagination and ate our time. It's also to remind ourselves of all the wondrous backlogs we've accumulated over the course of 12 months that we'll happily carry into 2019 and even 2020 since these damn game-shops can't stop churning out great titles.

Here's my list from 2018 (in no particular order)

• God of War [Official GOTY 2018] (PS4) - I never got tired of Kratos shouting Boy! as he went about bashing the life out of Angels, Norse gods and anything else he could lay his hands on. What makes this game even more greater for me is how they made the landscape and environment so appealing that sometimes you just have to stop and admire what they were able to achieve. 
  • Spiderman (PS4) - When I played Shattered Dimension back in 2010 I swore I'd never touch another Spiderman game ever again but then this came out and I can only say that had GoW not come out this year this would have been a strong contender for GOTY as a winner because it offers so much in such a small area of play. Great story, evolving game mechanics to keep you challenged as you move along, a great cast of villains and a skill tree that makes a lot of sense with countless combinations to suit any kind of playing style. 
  • Monster Hunter : World (PS4/XBO) - When I got this game I was confused what I'd be getting into but after playing it for a few hours I was actually quite hooked. There is so much to do in this game and there is a lot to learn very quickly as well. The MMO component of it also makes it a great game to get into with friends. Highly recommended if you have a lot of time to burn.
  • Dragon Ball FighterZ (ALL) - I am a huge fan of one-on-one fighting games and this one is one of the most bat-shit crazy ones I have played in a long time after MvC kind of disappointed me. Super fun, easy to get into with a huge variance in learning based on who you're playing against. I recommend it to any fighting game fans.
  • Pit People (PC) - If you're into a funny and mildly gruesome game with a great narrative this one ticks all the boxes. If you're also into the Limbo kind of gaming but without the eerie silence this is a good indie title to play as the game mech is a bit weird at first but the strategy component is very well polished.
  • Ikaruga (Switch) - This one is a republished classic for the NS. Its an overhead shooter with a color switcher for added difficulty and is probably one of my favorite overhead shooters of all time. You can play this in so many ways its unreal how much thought they've put into levels and their design. Its also terribly hard because you're not only shooting enemies but also switching colors to keep up with the onslaught of enemies.
  • Deadcells (ALL) - While we wait for Konami to get off their asses and give us a proper Castlevania side-scroll adventure (2019 apparently) this game will keep you engaged. The fight mechanics are similar to its Japanese inspiration and the levels are complex and sometimes a little too much of a maze but it is very entertaining. The weapon changes and upgrades also add some freshness as enemies can be a bit challenging at first but once you get the hang of the game it becomes a joy to play. 
  • Tetris Effect (PS4) - No explanation needed. Just a crazy good rendition of a classic.
  • Shadow of the Tombraider (ALL) - End of the trilogy and done quite well. When you start hunting down people in forests and using halucigens coupled with blows to the head to kill them you know the gamedevs meant some serious business. The environments are vast and a lot of time is spent in water-logged tombs which makes this quite a fun adventure. The only thing that makes it not the best in the series is the lack of freshness from the first one in this trilogy which was a masterpiece.
  • Darksiders 3 (ALL) - I went into this one with a lot of expectations as I loved the first two and it didn't really disappoint either. The enemies are smarter, the whip is awesome and the dialog between Fury and the Watcher is actually quite good at times too. The only downside is that its terribly linear in its environment crawling and that can get tedious but its a great addition to the series nonetheless. 
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (ALL) - Rockstar never makes a game I don't like but as I said in the RDR thread, this wasn't and didn't have the same appeal as the original did to me. Its still a great game with a great story and I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to be a bit casual about their gaming as well since you can roam to your hearts content.

The ones I wanted to like but they were just not as good as I expected

• Detroit: Become Human (PS4) - It tried too hard to live up to expectations and Quantic Dream has a great reputation to uphold here and it didn't live up to expectations
  • Soul Calibur VI (ALL) - Waited too long and dropped the ball here. Unbalanced characters and some of the most blotchy game mechanics as well
  • Dark Souls Remastered (Switch) - I have burned so many hours on the original so I figured give it a try on a handheld and while its a great game it wasn't anything new and the ride was pretty much the same. Try, die, try, die, curse, die, try, die, die, die, die.

I also omitted a lot of open world games like H1Z1, Fortnite, etc but that's because I really didn't spend too much time and they really didn' t grab my attention. I also can't wait to play Super Smash when its out later today.

P.S. I also omitted Yakuza because I'd like our resident expert to give his take on it.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you played all of the above mate?

Thats phenomenal. Ive played Splatoon 2, Fortnite, FIFA 19, Mario Odyssey and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. I feel like thats about as many as any one person could achieve.

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Harry said:

Have you played all of the above mate?

Thats phenomenal. Ive played Splatoon 2, Fortnite, FIFA 19, Mario Odyssey and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. I feel like thats about as many as any one person could achieve.

Yep played them all and then some. I play about 5 days a week if work is hectic I tend to put in a bit more time to destress as well. The one killer this year is that my Switch spent a lot of time playing remakes and classics while I was travelling so they didn't really make the list because they weren't really new titles. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, AMG said:

CSGO

The only game anyone needs.

Funny story here. I went onto a CSGO server and all I kept hearing was "Buzzzzzzz Behenchod ..... silence Behenchod .... buzzz behenchod" mind you they weren't even killing each other just hiding behind walls and cursing each other.

3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Yep played them all and then some. I play about 5 days a week if work is hectic I tend to put in a bit more time to destress as well. The one killer this year is that my Switch spent a lot of time playing remakes and classics while I was travelling so they didn't really make the list because they weren't really new titles. 

Wow. You work a full time job mate?

Gaming can be a good way to de-stress. I dont really have a good gaming getaway spot. Switch is good as I can just play it in my lap in the living room whilst others do other things. A semi-social way of being anti social! B|

What were the remakes and classic you played on Switch?

You mean the classic NES games that came with the Nintendo Online subscription?

7 minutes ago, AMG said:

CSGO

The only game anyone needs.

I haven’t played CS since Source. Amazing game. I hope its not all Dust 2 still though I got well and truly sick of that map as it was the only one anyone seemed to play!

Super Mario Odyssey ad Splatoon 2 have been my two favourite games of the year, and two of my top 10 games of all time.

Can’t believe how much there is to Odyssey beyond the Bowser defeat. I’d estimate a full 24 hours more playing time after that if you’re on my level of ability.

Splatoon 2 is just an unbelievably cool multiplayer format like nothing I ever played before. Addictive as hell. Not too hard to start out as a n00b, but not too forgiving that it doesnt reward you being a pro. I cant recommend this one highly enough. 

• Subscriber
56 minutes ago, Harry said:

Wow. You work a full time job mate?

Gaming can be a good way to de-stress. I dont really have a good gaming getaway spot. Switch is good as I can just play it in my lap in the living room whilst others do other things. A semi-social way of being anti social! B|

What were the remakes and classic you played on Switch?

You mean the classic NES games that came with the Nintendo Online subscription?

Yep got a regular 9 - 5 gig and I space it out since I've got clients worldwide so its work then stop then work again. Plus, I travel a lot so having a portable gaming console makes it good for me as well. The classics I played on the Switch were things like Bayonetta, the SNES classics, some other indie games (stardew valley, etc). Oh and lest I forget that PSP classic ... Lumines!

29 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Fortnite will scoop so many awards as it already has. It’s taken over, so so popular. And reasonably so. 

It actually came out in October last year but took a few months to properly take off. 

It deserves game of the year for being THE battle royale game in an era where it has become a fad.

I haven't even seen H1Z1 but between Battlegrounds and Blackout, it wins. More content than the former, and works more than the latter. In Fortnite if you get shot from behind, or from a difficult angle you can defend yourself. Something that is so important particularly to a battle royale. I also think it does well in maintaining the players interests with new seasons and whatnot.

• Subscriber

It has won an award, Fortnite that is, for best multiplayer and rightfully so, you see it everywhere and its going to be around for a long long time. But, having said that, like I said, can't seem to get into it and this coming from a person that has clocked way too many hours in Overwatch.

What's great is watching a game like Celeste get its just dues because it was fantastic I just never got around to finishing it.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Blue said:

It deserves game of the year for being THE battle royale game in an era where it has become a fad.

I haven't even seen H1Z1 but between Battlegrounds and Blackout, it wins. More content than the former, and works more than the latter. In Fortnite if you get shot from behind, or from a difficult angle you can defend yourself. Something that is so important particularly to a battle royale. I also think it does well in maintaining the players interests with new seasons and whatnot.

55 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

It has won an award, Fortnite that is, for best multiplayer and rightfully so, you see it everywhere and its going to be around for a long long time. But, having said that, like I said, can't seem to get into it and this coming from a person that has clocked way too many hours in Overwatch.

What's great is watching a game like Celeste get its just dues because it was fantastic I just never got around to finishing it.

Good posts, lads. 

So many people can’t get into it and I have mates like @Cannabis who hate it and think it’s dog poo. But I have many like myself who enjoy it as the fun game that it is. There’s never been anything like it and it’s going nowhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Super Smash Bros. is now going on the list as well. What a mixture of mayhem and fun. I have clocked way too many hours in it now to even think that something so simple could be as entertaining as it has been.

9 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Super Smash Bros. is now going on the list as well. What a mixture of mayhem and fun. I have clocked way too many hours in it now to even think that something so simple could be as entertaining as it has been.

Loving the game so far. Been playing the World of Light a lot to unlock the fighters. I know you can do them in Smash and Classic mode but this has been fun and difficult at the same time.

21 hours ago, Mel81x said:

12 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Loving the game so far. Been playing the World of Light a lot to unlock the fighters. I know you can do them in Smash and Classic mode but this has been fun and difficult at the same time.

It's really that good? 

I've never played SSB franchise but i can't imagine finding it as fun or addictive as i did Splatoon.... 

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Harry said:

It's really that good? 

I've never played SSB franchise but i can't imagine finding it as fun or addictive as i did Splatoon.... 

Ive played every iteration of it and I have to say its one of the more fun games from Nintendo. Think Mario Kart Double Dash but less focus on racing and more focus on beating your opponent up.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Ive played every iteration of it and I have to say its one of the more fun games from Nintendo. Think Mario Kart Double Dash but less focus on racing and more focus on beating your opponent up.

I’ll probably get it soon. There’s been a quiet patch for switch so this will help fill the gap. 

12 hours ago, Harry said:

It's really that good? 

It can be a bit of a marmite game. I love it simply because it's ridiculously chaotic fun. The stupidly high amount of characters to choose from (basically everyone from the N64 version onwards) and the mind boggling amount of customisation the game offers is insane. Plus you can punch Pikachu in the face.

At the same time, others look at it and find the game far too chaotic for them and simply can't get into it, even if you switch all items and stage hazards off and just settle for a 1 vs 1 fight.

I'd strongly recommend it myself but if you're on the fence, you may want to check some clips out to get an idea of what the game is like.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is my vote. A pretty obvious choice, but it's a really great game with a great story and I loved every minute of it - even the bits that are slow and sort of weird to play through in an action game. Possibly my favourite game since Red Dead Redemption.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Red Dead Redemption 2 is my vote. A pretty obvious choice, but it's a really great game with a great story and I loved every minute of it - even the bits that are slow and sort of weird to play through in an action game. Possibly my favourite game since Red Dead Redemption.

You mean just pissing about at waking pace whilst sitting on a horse? 😉

1 minute ago, Harry said:

You mean just pissing about at waking pace whilst sitting on a horse? 😉

xD 

Nah, like the shite at the beginning - the prologue takes a bit to really get the story going. And the epilogue (which is great if you enjoyed the first one) also takes a bit to get going.

Although I'll be honest, the most irritating thing about that game was the stupid shite my horse would do. Oh you won't let me ride you off a cliff, yet you're completely fine with slamming me headfirst into every fucking tree you can find.

There's a reason I name all of my horses Gluestick.

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 09:19, Cannabis said:

RDR2 took ages to get going for me, so much so that I was gutted with it and would give it a 6/10. I've just started Chapter III and it's peaking up, still not the amazing game I hoped it would be but trickling into 7/10 territory. 

Hoping that this act and the rest is where it kicks off and I see the magic.

Those are some pretty low ratings. I wonder if the game is just much better if you'd played the first one. Are you doing all the side missions and stranger quests? They're white on the map - they're sort of limited to when you can do them, progress too far with the yellow missions and you won't get a chance to do them ever again. Some of those missions can make an impact on how the story pans out.

Both this game and the first one had slow starts - at least RDR2 starts off with some combat at the beginning. RDR starts off with you needing to do a fuckload of farming xD - I remember being very annoyed at the first few hours of that game. And then I fell in love with the game.

Archived