talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Space: The Final Frontier

football forum

• Subscriber

Aaaand the signal and telemetry are in!!! We have the confirmation of a healthy spacecraft, all planned scientific observations successfully completed, ready for science data transmission now! :D Post flyby press conference incoming in about 40 minutes.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, nudge said:

Aaaand the signal and telemetry are in!!! We have the confirmation of a healthy spacecraft, all planned scientific observations successfully completed, ready for science data transmission now! :D Post flyby press conference incoming in about 40 minutes.

Me :D

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

R.I.P. Nancy.

Mother of the Hubble: Tributes paid to Nasa scientist

31 December 2018

49802114_10156973308457855_3864625900951

Tributes are being paid to Dr. Nancy Grace Roman, the first woman to hold an executive position at the US space agency Nasa.

Dr. Roman was known as "Mother of the Hubble" for her work on the early stages of the Hubble Space Telescope.

Nasa said her most important legacy was the advancement of women in the sciences and the generations of young scientists she inspired.

She died in Maryland on Wednesday at the age of 93.

Dr. Roman was fascinated by the clear night skies of her childhood home in Nevada from a very early age.

She joined an astronomy club when she was just 11 and her passion for stargazing continued throughout her life.

But the young Dr. Roman had to fight prejudice to be allowed to study maths and science at school and university.

"I still remember asking my high school guidance teacher for permission to take a second year of algebra instead of a fifth year of Latin," " she once told the Voice of America.

"She looked down her nose at me and sneered, 'What lady would take mathematics instead of Latin?' That was the sort of reception that I got most of the way".

Despite the obstacles, she obtained a doctorate in astronomy from the University of Chicago in 1949.

A position in the United States Naval Research Laboratory followed. She was later recruited by Nasa to be its first chief of astronomy in 1959, where she would work for two decades.

In a video released by Nasa in February, Dr. Roman said she never had problems with her male Nasa colleagues.

"I was accepted very readily as a scientist in my job," she said.

"The men were very co-operative, and I felt that the men treated me as one of the team without a problem."

Her best-known contribution to the sciences is the planning of the Hubble Space Telescope,  famous for its stunning images of the stars she had loved so much as a child.

Launched in 1990, it has been described as one of the most important scientific instruments ever created.

Throughout her career, Dr. Roman was a passionate advocate of women in the sciences, teaching astronomy to elementary school children in the 1990s.

Her work has been recognized by a Women in Aerospace Lifetime Achievement Award and Nasa's Exceptional Scientific Achievement Award.

In 2017, when Lego created a 231-piece Women of Nasa set, a figurine of Dr. Roman was included among four women identified as space pioneers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46720014

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

That's another milestone waiting to happen; hopefully the landing's successful. It's a pity there's no live coverage from China. 

Strange there is no live coverage of the landing as you would think the Chinese would try and keep up with NASA? :(

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, CaaC - John said:

Strange there is no live coverage of the landing as you would think the Chinese would try and keep up with NASA? :(

Probably wary of a potential failure being broadcast live all around the world in the worst-case scenario... "Losing face" is the worst thing in most Asian cultures including China. 

Meanwhile, the Ultima Thule press conference is on! They revealed the first clearer image of the object and it's confirmed to be contact binary and it's red!!! 

Dv7dGFbW0AAKikf.jpg

1536895.jpg

1536899.jpg

It's eithe Frosty the Snowman or BB8 xD 

This body is probably the oldest object seen by a spacecraft, and may have formed within the first few 100k years of the solar system, says the team geologist. Low velocity collisions and gravitational attraction created two large pieces, that later came together.

Dv7dDzrX0AA-blD.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2018 at 16:14, CaaC - John said:

The first series and episodes of TNG were a bit amateurish but they got better as they went along but I guess everybody has different tastes in shows.  :D   

I thought the dominion war was very good in DS9. Would have been good if TNG had something similar with the Borg but they probably didn't  have the money or technology in those days. First contact was good though just needed a bit more action

• Subscriber

Good new documentary by Deutsche Welle detailing the research going on in ISS, the obstacles and the future of humanity in space.

Earth's future in space

DW Documentary
Published on Jan 2, 2019
Will space travel to Mars be possible in the future? Astronaut Thomas Pesquet hopes to be part of a crew lifting off to the red planet. 

French astronaut Thomas Pesquet spent six and a half months on the International Space Station ISS, which brings together researchers from all over the world. He conducted experiments in space to find out more about the potential of human spaceflight. Could we really send people to Mars? Thomas Pesquet was part of the crew of the ISS Expedition 50/51 and spent 196 days on board the International Space Station (ISS). The astronauts were preparing for the moment mankind leaves its home to explore other celestial bodies like Mars or the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. The journey would lead through the most hostile environment of all: the vacuum of space. In the documentary, Thomas Pesquet describes the everyday challenges that await space travelers in their search for new worlds. Half of the experiments carried out on board the ISS have to do with human survival in space. On the ground, meanwhile, research laboratories around the world are dealing with the physiological problems associated with life in zero gravity, and space agencies are conducting isolation experiments under realistic conditions to find out what qualities astronauts need. Even the best-prepared missions can be jeopardized by the psychological problems that are inevitable during very long flights. Europeans, Russians, and Americans are also working together on the technical aspects of interplanetary travel. Improving spacecraft propulsion, recycling waste, protecting astronauts from cosmic rays, developing ergonomic space suits and human-robot interfaces are just some of the issues being investigated on the ISS.

Video Available for viewing until January 22, 2019

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Cosmic collision billions of years off could fling Earth out of Milky Way

Eric Mack       11 hrs ago

Day to day here on Earth, our biggest threat from space is probably some undetected asteroid smashing into us, but astrophysicists looking at the universe on a much larger scale warn that another kind of collision could also impact our planet in the distant future. 

A team led by researchers from the UK's Durham University says the threat of another galaxy colliding with the Milky Way could happen much sooner than previously thought and might send our entire solar system hurtling off in a new direction.

"There is a small chance that we might not escape unscathed from the collision between the two galaxies which could knock us out of the Milky Way and into interstellar space," Marius Cautun, a postdoctoral fellow at Durham's Institute for Computational Cosmology, said in a statement.

Cautun is lead author of a paper being published Friday in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

BBRMn0h.img?h=605&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© CNET

The Large Magellanic Cloud, a satellite galaxy of the Milky Way, is about 200,000 light-years from Earth. It could eventually collide with our galaxy, astrophysicists say.

Fortunately for us, and probably for everything and everyone we'll ever know, this collision between the Milky Way and the smaller galaxy known as the Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC) probably won't happen for 2 billion years. 

But that's still much sooner than the previously predicted impact with our neighboring Andromeda galaxy set to happen in 8 billion years. 

BBQuPk3.img?h=570&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Provided by CBS Interactive Inc. The Hubble Space Telescope first launched in 1990. It's been busy ever since sending back data and imagery that brings us closer than ever to the far reaches of space. This colorful image of the Carina Nebula from 2009 shows a massive pillar of gas and dust as stars are birthed. The nebula is located 7,500 light-years away. This particular image was taken in visible light. The pillar is shaped by radiation and streaming winds of charged particles. First published Jan. 6, 2015, at 10:46 a.m. PT. Update, Oct. 6, 2017, at 12:51 p.m.

"While 2 billion years is an extremely long time compared to a human lifetime, it is a very short time on cosmic timescales," Cautun said. 

The LMC is one of a group of smaller satellite galaxies that actually orbit the Milky Way. New calculations suggest it has twice as much dark matter as previously thought and that all that previously undetected mass could mean it's slowing down and will be unable to escape the gravitational pull of the Milky Way.

BBQuZFd.img?h=570&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Provided by CBS Interactive Inc. NASA celebrated the December 2015 opening of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" with this Hubble image of what the space agency described as a celestial double-bladed lightsaber located in the Orion constellation. Two jets emanate from a newborn star. The resulting lines of light bear a resemblance to Darth Maul's two-sided weapon from the Star Wars prequel film "The Phantom Menace."

The scientists say the collision could also wake up the Milky Way's dormant black hole, which would immediately begin to feed on nearby gas and grow in size by an order of magnitude. 

"Barring any disasters, like a major disturbance to the solar system, our descendants, if any, are in for a treat: a spectacular display of cosmic fireworks as the newly awakened supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy reacts by emitting jets of extremely bright energetic radiation," said co-author and Durham professor Carlos Frenk.

Fortunately, that garish galactic gala will be far enough away that it's unlikely to affect life on Earth. Of course, as Frenk points out, we might not be around to see it if the initial collision flings us beyond the bounds of the Milky Way. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/cosmic-collision-billions-of-years-off-could-fling-earth-out-of-milky-way/ar-BBRMpIT?ocid=chromentp

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

^^Two billion years... Not really worried haha :D

I'm particularly interested in the experiment to test how much the Moon’s extremely low gravity affects the growth of living organism that is about to be carried out. The Chang'e-4 lander is also carrying a biosphere housing potatoes, Arabidopsis plant seeds, and silkworm eggs. The container constitutes its own complete ecosystem, with the potato and Arabidopsis breathing out oxygen after taking in the carbon dioxide exhaled by the silkworms. Just imagine if they get through one reproductive cycle while on the Moon, it would be the first example of complex life known to be born on another world! 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Chang'e-4: Chinese rover now exploring Moon

By Paul RinconScience editor,

BBC News website

3 hours ago

49211350_10156978603437855_1327615494030

A Chinese robotic rover has got its wheels dirty after rolling off its landing craft and onto the lunar soil.

The Chang'e-4 spacecraft touched down on the far side of the Moon at 10:26 Beijing time (02:26 GMT) on Thursday.

Lunar exploration chief Wu Weiren echoed Neil Armstrong's famous quote, telling state media the event marked a "huge stride" for China.

The rover and lander are carrying instruments to analyse the unexplored region's geology.

It represents the first ever such attempt and landing on the far side of the Moon, which has distinct characteristics to the near side we can see from Earth.

According to the Guardian newspaper, Weiren told the state broadcaster CCTV: "The separation of Chang'e 4's rover was smooth and perfect."

"The rover rolled only a small step on to the Moon, but it represented a huge stride for the Chinese nation."

The rover touched the lunar surface at 22:22 Beijing time (14:22 GMT), about 12 hours after the landing.

The event was captured by the camera on the lander and the images were sent back to the Earth via the relay satellite "Queqiao", China's Xinhua state news agency reported.

China has also chosen a name for the rover - Yutu 2 - following a worldwide poll to name the rover in August.

In Chinese folklore, Yutu is the white pet rabbit of Chang'e, the moon goddess who lent her name to the Chinese lunar mission.

The number two at the end of the name acknowledges its predecessor, a Chinese rover called Yutu which touched down at Mare Imbrium on the Moon's near side in 2013.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46760729

• Subscriber

This Week’s Sky at a Glance, January 4 – 12

By: Alan MacRobert | January 4, 2019

Friday, January 4

• Here is is January, and the Summer Triangle is still in view — if you look early after dark. Vega is its brightest star, low in the northwest. The brightest star above that, and perhaps a bit left, is Deneb. Look for Altair farther to Vega's left and perhaps lower (depending on your latitude).

• In the late-arriving dawns of early January, watch Venus close in on Jupiter and Antares from morning to morning, as shown here.

Saturday, January 5

• As we enter the very coldest time of the year, the dim Little Dipper (Ursa Minor) turns to hang straight down from Polaris after dinnertime — as if, per Leslie Peltier, from a nail on the cold north wall of the sky.

The Big Dipper, meanwhile, is creeping up low in the north-northeast. Its handle is very low and its bowl is to the upper right.

And Cassiopeia, a flattened letter M, is nearly overhead in the north-northwest, just beginning to tilt.

• New Moon (exact at 8:28 p.m. EST

49467966_10156982350372855_7929437513150

Sunday, January 6

• Orion stands in the east-southeast after dark, higher every week, but in early evening his three-star Belt is still nearly vertical. The Belt points up toward Aldebaran and, even higher, the Pleiades.

Down below, the Belt points to the horizon where Sirius rises around 6 or 7 p.m. (depending on how far east or west you live in your time zone). Just after Sirius clears the horizon, it twinkles slowly and deeply through thick layers of low atmosphere. It twinkles faster and more shallowly as it gains altitude, and its flashes of vivid color blend into shimmering whiteness.

• Venus is at greatest elongation on this date, 47° west of the Sun in the morning sky.

49438635_10156982350682855_6741494849507

Monday, January 7

• You may know where the center of our Milky Way galaxy is: in Sagittarius next to the Large Sagittarius Star Cloud. But that's for summer. I bet you've never located the galactic anticenter in the winter sky! Pinpoint its location near Elnath, at the Taurus-Auriga border, using binoculars and Matt Wedel's diamond-shaped asterism in his Binocular Highlight column in the January Sky & Telescope, page 43. Here, you're looking precisely away from the galaxy's center.

Tuesday, January 8

• After dinnertime now, the enormous Andromeda-Pegasus complex runs from near the zenith far down to the west.

Near the zenith, spot Andromeda's high foot: 2nd-magnitude Gamma Andromedae (Almach), slightly orange. Andromeda is standing on her head, on the Great Square of Pegasus. The Great Square is about halfway down from the zenith to the west horizon, balancing on one corner. Mars shines left of the bottom corner.

Down from the Square's bottom corner run the stars outlining Pegasus's neck and head, ending at his nose: 2nd-magnitude Enif, due west and also slightly orange.

Wednesday, January 9

• The Gemini twins lie on their sides these January evenings, left of Orion. Their head stars, Castor and Pollux, are farthest from Orion, one over the other. (Castor is the top one.) The Castor figure's feet are just left of Orion's very dim Club.

Thursday, January 10

• As twilight fades, look almost two fists at arm's length below the crescent Moon (and a bit left) for Fomalhaut, the "Autumn Star," now on its way out. How late into the evening, and into winter, can you keep Fomalhaut in view?

49439038_10156982351207855_4520326635202

Saturday, January 12

• Now Mars is only 5° or 6° to the Moon's upper right in the evening, as shown here. Mars is actually about twice as large as the Moon, but it's currently 240 times farther away.

• For the next few mornings, Venus forms a roughly equilateral triangle with Jupiter to its lower left and fainter Antares more directly below it. See the top of this page.

• Start planning for the total eclipse of the Moon that will befall the Americas late on the night of Sunday January 20th. The eclipsed Moon will appear high in a dark sky for observers all the way from northern Canada to southern South America. See the cover story of the January Sky & Telescope.

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/this-weeks-sky-at-a-glance-january-4-12/

• Subscriber

I'd love to get myself a half decent telescope and do a bit of stargazing + astrophotography at the same time... Where I live there is barely any light pollution, so the night sky is majestic and the stars are easy to observe even with a naked eye as long as it's not too cloudy.  I actually thought telescopes are way too expensive but it seems I was wrong; a decent one for beginners  costs just about 100-150$... I really should take a look into it.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'd love to get myself a half decent telescope and do a bit of stargazing + astrophotography at the same time... Where I live there is barely any light pollution, so the night sky is majestic and the stars are easy to observe even with a naked eye as long as it's not too cloudy.  I actually thought telescopes are way too expensive but it seems I was wrong; a decent one for beginners  costs just about 100-150$... I really should take a look into it.

I always said I would but never got around to it, living in this 2nd floor flat would be no good anyway, I can just imagine setting it up in our back room looking out the window, and knowing my luck someone would report me as a peeping tom with a telescope!! :(

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

I always said I would but never got around to it, living in this 2nd floor flat would be no good anyway, I can just imagine setting it up in our back room looking out the window, and knowing my luck someone would report me as a peeping tom with a telescope!! :(

Haha xD I can do it from my front terrace as it only faces the mountain and a fair amount of night sky so no problem there :D I just don't want to buy something heavy and hard to transport as I tend to move around quite a bit...

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Haha xD I can do it from my front terrace as it only faces the mountain and a fair amount of night sky so no problem there :D I just don't want to buy something heavy and hard to transport as I tend to move around quite a bit...

Bloody hell, you have me thinking now and I have just looked up the closest Astronomy Telescope centers and came up with this below, I just might look into this tomorrow and find out any details like visiting times and whatever, I live in Leith so it's not that far away. :D

49735028_10156982455992855_6643938696057

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Bloody hell, you have me thinking now and I have just looked up the closest Astronomy Telescope centers and came up with this below, I just might look into this tomorrow and find out any details like visiting times and whatever, I live in Leith so it's not that far away. :D

49735028_10156982455992855_6643938696057

What is it exactly? Is it like an observatory with equipment on site available for general public to use? I've only been to one once (years ago) which boasts the biggest scientific telescope in Northern Europe and it was class! I remember seeing Saturn's rings and moons, Orion nebula and the Pleiades, and thinking how breathtaking it was. 

I have only used a pair of 10x50 binoculars + the Stellarium app since then but I think I'd love to upgrade. This looks good for the price: https://www.telescope.com/Orion-SkyScanner-100mm-TableTop-Reflector-Telescope/p/102007.uts?keyword=skyscanner 100 I already have a good camera tripod so could use it with the scope too...

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, nudge said:

What is it exactly? Is it like an observatory with equipment on site available for general public to use? I've only been to one once (years ago) which boasts the biggest scientific telescope in Northern Europe and it was class! I remember seeing Saturn's rings and moons, Orion nebula and the Pleiades, and thinking how breathtaking it was. 

Not sure until I phone them up tomorrow, looking at Google the Royal Observatory came up with this on Google...

49625891_10156982643462855_8968968694277

QMT.jpg?1323945525

• Subscriber

xD

An astronaut accidentally called 911 from space

Kelly McLaughlin      1 day ago

Dutch astronaut André Kuipers accidentally called 911 from the International Space Station.

He said he was trying to contact NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, and had to dial 9 for an outside line, then 011 for to contact an international line.

But he missed the zero, and instead called 911, setting off a security alert at the Johnson Space Center center.

A Dutch astronaut accidentally called 911 from space while orbiting Earth on the International Space Station (ISS).

André Kuipers told the Netherlands' public broadcaster Nederlandse Omroep Stichtingthat he called US emergency services after dialing the wrong number while trying to contact NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

"If you're in space, and you're making a call via Houston, first you dial the 9 for an outside line, and then 011 for an international line," the 60-year-old astronaut and physician said, according to a translation from the science and technology website Futurism.

But Kuipers missed the zero, and ended up calling 911 instead of 9011.

His misdial set off a security alert at the Johnson Space Center center, with staff wondering if everything was OK.

Kuipers, who has competed two space missions totaling more than 200 days, said that the next day he received an email from Houston, asking if he had called 911.

"I was a little disappointed that they had not come up," he joked. 

Kuipers said it's surprisingly easy to contact Earth from space, and that astronauts can use terrestrial phones via satellites about 70% of the time.

He did say, however, there is often a time delay that makes it difficult to hold conversations with people on Earth.

"Sometimes people would hang up because they thought I did not say anything, so later on I started to talk as soon as I had dialed the last number," he recalled.

This isn't the first time an astronaut has dialed the wrong number from ISS.

In 2015, Britain's first astronaut, Tim Peak, clarified that he hadn't prank called a woman when he called from space and said "Hello, is this planet Earth?" He'd actually just dialed the wrong number. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/an-astronaut-accidentally-called-911-from-space/ar-BBRRxox

Edited by CaaC - John
  • Haha 1

• Subscriber

@nudge @Bluewolf

Repeated radio signals coming from galaxy 1.5 billion light years away, scientists announce

Andrew Griffin       2 hrs ago

Scientists have spotted repeated blasts of radio signals coming from deep in space.

The breakthrough is only the second time scientists have seen such a repeating radio burst. It both deepens the mystery and offers a potential opportunity to finally understand what might be throwing out the burst from a galaxy billions of light years away.

Fast radio bursts have been speculated to be the result of everything from exploding stars to transmissions from aliens. But they have remained entirely mysterious, with little evidence at all of where they might be coming from.

The flashes only last for a milisecond but they are flung out with the same amount of energy the sun takes 12 months to produce.

Probably most exciting of the new bursts is one that scientists saw repeat six times, apparently from the same location. Of the more than 60 fast radio bursts detected so far, only one of them has ever repeated.

“Until now, there was only one known repeating FRB. Knowing that there is another suggests that there could be more out there. And with more repeaters and more sources available for study, we may be able to understand these cosmic puzzles—where they’re from and what causes them,” said Ingrid Stairs, a member of the CHIME team and an astrophysicist at UBC.

Seeing two repeating signals probably means that there exists – and that humanity will probably find – a "substantial population" of repeating signals, the researchers write in one of the two papers published in Nature.

Having two sets of repeating bursts could also allow scientists to understand what distinguishes them from single bursts, helping them understand more about their source and watch for future blasts.

In all the researchers spotted some 13 of the bursts in just a three week period, offering a vast new trove of data for the scientists hunting for their source. Together they could offer some evidence of the extreme or unusual environment they are coming from – or the mysterious technology that some claim alien civilisations could be launching them into space with.

“Whatever the source of these radio waves is, it’s interesting to see how wide a range of frequencies it can produce. There are some models where intrinsically the source can’t produce anything below a certain frequency,” says team member Arun Naidu of McGill University.

The blasts were discovered by the Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment in British Columbia. Some scientists had worried that the range of frequencies it can pick up would be too low for it to receive the FRBs – but it found far more than expected, and scientists expect it to identify even more.

Of the 13 new blasts that were picked up, at least seven of them were recorded at 400 MHz – the lowest frequency of any yet discovered. That suggests there might be even more of them, too low to be picked up by CHIME.

“[We now know] the sources can produce low-frequency radio waves and those low-frequency waves can escape their environment, and are not too scattered to be detected by the time they reach the Earth. That tells us something about the environments and the sources. We haven’t solved the problem, but it’s several more pieces in the puzzle,” says Tom Landecker, a CHIME team member from the National Research Council of Canada.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/repeated-radio-signals-coming-from-galaxy-15-billion-light-years-away-scientists-announce/ar-BBS1uSY?ocid=chromentp

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Yes, read it earlier today, fascinating stuff :) The most supported theory among the astronomers at the moment is it being a young neutron star with an insanely huge magnetic field. Well either that or aliens :ph34r: Seriously though, it's very fascinating as we haven't got any natural explanation to FBRs at the moment, nevermind repeating ones, so it's definitely huge!

• The title was changed to Space: The Final Frontier