talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Outer Worlds

football forum

• Administrator

After the abomination that was Fallout 76 and Fallout 4 from Bethesda, which whilst far from terrible, was still weak in comparison to Fallout New Vegas by Obsidian it looks a decent RPG is finally inbound. 

Obsidians approach compared to Bethesda is to build your own story where you actually have choices as opposed to driving a linear narrative. There was no sense of choice in FO4, you got pushed from one fetch quest to another and even if you disagreed and refused, the game ignored this and gave you the quest anyway!

The Outer Worlds has hints of Firefly and Fallout, so the hype says around this so far. I’m hopeful it’s not a pile of shite and that it’s open to multiple playthroughs as different player types rather than just a standard shooter. 

My fingers are crossed 

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been looking forward to this one and I was going to buy it... and then I saw it's releasing day one on Xbox Game Pass and I'm very fucking happy about that. When the fuck did Microsoft buy Obsidian?

Apparently it's supposed to be quite short compared to most modern games (although it's still 30 hours or so)… but it should have great replayability with different specced characters and different factions/karma etc.

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've been looking forward to this one and I was going to buy it... and then I saw it's releasing day one on Xbox Game Pass and I'm very fucking happy about that. When the fuck did Microsoft buy Obsidian?

Apparently it's supposed to be quite short compared to most modern games (although it's still 30 hours or so)… but it should have great replayability with different specced characters and different factions/karma etc.

Last year sometime if I remember right. They were explicitly told that they couldn't keep this as a core title at the time but that also means that future titles will get more love on Xbox.

I've played about 2 hours of it before I had to go to work. I really want to get the fuck out of work and get back to the game.

So far, I like it a lot. It reminds me a lot of New Vegas... and that's a good thing. @nudge, I know you like KOTOR... this is the same developer that did KOTOR 2, so you might be interested in this one.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've played about 2 hours of it before I had to go to work. I really want to get the fuck out of work and get back to the game.

So far, I like it a lot. It reminds me a lot of New Vegas... and that's a good thing. @nudge, I know you like KOTOR... this is the same developer that did KOTOR 2, so you might be interested in this one.

This looks good and I think I'd like it but my laptop most certainly won't xD Cheers anyway. I'm borrowing a gaming PC from a mate once Jedi: Fallen Order is released so it might be a better idea then.

Looks visually stunning... 

Not really into those first person type games.. too much ducking, diving, hiding, reloading, aiming and shooting for my sausage fingers to keep up with.. I would keep getting killed every 5 minutes and lose my rag with it.. 

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Looks visually stunning... 

Not really into those first person type games.. too much ducking, diving, hiding, reloading, aiming and shooting for my sausage fingers to keep up with.. I would keep getting killed every 5 minutes and lose my rag with it.. 

It's got shooty elements like Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4 (although I think it's done better than in those games)… but it's a RPG first and foremost. You could even do a melee only playthrough if you wanted to. Or just drop the difficulty.

I've only played for a bit and I'm wanting to get back on it, but I can tell it's a game that I'll play over and over because of the different playstyles you can build your character to be suited to and if it's got questlines like Fallout New Vegas (or the first two fallouts)… there'll be different endings based on your own actions.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's got shooty elements like Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4 (although I think it's done better than in those games)… but it's a RPG first and foremost. You could even do a melee only playthrough if you wanted to. Or just drop the difficulty.

I've only played for a bit and I'm wanting to get back on it, but I can tell it's a game that I'll play over and over because of the different playstyles you can build your character to be suited to and if it's got questlines like Fallout New Vegas (or the first two fallouts)… there'll be different endings based on your own actions.

Recommend me a good older RPG or two please... Something similar to KOTOR; preferably not too much/limited fantasy elements.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Recommend me a good older RPG or two please... Something similar to KOTOR; preferably not too much/limited fantasy elements.

Jade Empire's a good one.

Also the older Fallouts... New Vegas (although it took me a shitload of modding to get it to run in any sort of stable fashion if you get the version on Steam & it was sort of a pain in the arse), and Fallout 3 are "modern classics" - they took the lore and world of the original 2 Fallout games and made them more accessible for the more modern gaming community; they're 3rd person or 1st person (you can pick - unlike The Outer Worlds, which is just 1st person until you stand still for long enough that the camera pans out and shows you in 3rd person... but once you move you're back to first person).

Two games that are not really all that similar to KOTOR other than being well-written RPGs are... Fallout and Fallout 2. They're pretty hard tbh, but they're incredibly good games. I like Fallout 2 better than Fallout. I actually played those two all the way through for the first time in my life (because I'd always get stuck and start something else lol) while I was in China in January. But yeah, as you can tell... I'm a fan of the Fallout series. They dreamed up a very cool horrific world ravaged by nuclear apocalypse with a lot of character. If you wanted me to rank the games I'd say: 1.) New Vegas, 2.) Fallout 3, 3.) Fallout 2, 4.) Fallout, 5.) Fallout 4 (which really isn't a bad game... it's just a bad Fallout game - but it's probably the most accessible for people who haven't played other Fallout games/other RPGs). I didn't even bother with the multiplayer only Fallout because it doesn't sound anything like what I'd want from a Fallout game... so I can't tell you if that's good or not; I've not heard good things though.

There's a shitload more if you're okay with the fantasy shite tbh. But unfortunately those games don't typically "limit" the fantasy elements - they go in heavy on that shite xD

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Jade Empire's a good one.

Also the older Fallouts... New Vegas (although it took me a shitload of modding to get it to run in any sort of stable fashion if you get the version on Steam & it was sort of a pain in the arse), and Fallout 3 are "modern classics" - they took the lore and world of the original 2 Fallout games and made them more accessible for the more modern gaming community; they're 3rd person or 1st person (you can pick - unlike The Outer Worlds, which is just 1st person until you stand still for long enough that the camera pans out and shows you in 3rd person... but once you move you're back to first person).

Two games that are not really all that similar to KOTOR other than being well-written RPGs are... Fallout and Fallout 2. They're pretty hard tbh, but they're incredibly good games. I like Fallout 2 better than Fallout. I actually played those two all the way through for the first time in my life (because I'd always get stuck and start something else lol) while I was in China in January. But yeah, as you can tell... I'm a fan of the Fallout series. They dreamed up a very cool horrific world ravaged by nuclear apocalypse with a lot of character. If you wanted me to rank the games I'd say: 1.) New Vegas, 2.) Fallout 3, 3.) Fallout 2, 4.) Fallout, 5.) Fallout 4 (which really isn't a bad game... it's just a bad Fallout game - but it's probably the most accessible for people who haven't played other Fallout games/other RPGs). I didn't even bother with the multiplayer only Fallout because it doesn't sound anything like what I'd want from a Fallout game... so I can't tell you if that's good or not; I've not heard good things though.

There's a shitload more if you're okay with the fantasy shite tbh. But unfortunately those games don't typically "limit" the fantasy elements - they go in heavy on that shite xD

Thanks! Will try both Jade Empire (which sounds like my cup of tea) and one of the Fallout games then (although there seem to be too much shooter elements for my liking) :D I'm fine with a bit of fantasy but the whole wizards and dragons and magic potion stuff kind of annoys me haha.

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

Thanks! Will try both Jade Empire (which sounds like my cup of tea) and one of the Fallout games then (although there seem to be too much shooter elements for my liking) :D I'm fine with a bit of fantasy but the whole wizards and dragons and magic potion stuff kind of annoys me haha.

Well the Fallout games I recommended are most definitely more RPGs than FPS style games - and if you really really don't like the shooting, they have the V.A.T.S. system (I could explain this, but... I'll wait until you try a Fallout game first) where you can pause time and pick your shots on whatever your target is - there'll be a percentage thing next to each target (like the head vs. the torso) and you can just let the game take the shots for you using this method. And in the first Fallouts... it's not a first person game at all - they look like this:

Fallout-2.jpg

so how good you are at shooter games really won't make a bearing at all on how good you are at Fallout 1 & 2.

OH and Jade Empire is super underrated imo

Well after playing this all day pretty much... I think it’s the best game I’ve played in 2019. Oddly enough my #2 favorite game from this year is called the Outerwilds - so that’s weird.

Nice to see a big game at launch also not run like complete shit.

Archived