• Raphaël Varane (Real Madrid)
    • Diego Godín (Atletico Madrid)
    • Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool)
    • Jerome Boateng (FC Bayern)
    • Samuel Umtiti (FC Barcelona)
    • Kalidou Koulibaly (Napoli)

football forum

looped-kick.gif

Next up, we're voting for central defenders. The absolute machines of the game, the players that make strikers cry. Who makes you list? Who could quite literally hold off an entire Barcelona attack on their own? Who could keep a cheetah in their back pocket? The top two players from the poll will be selected for the squad as we'll likely be going in the standard 4-4-2. Get voting lovely people.

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Van Dijk and Koulibaly ( @Cannabis how come you deleted the other topic?)

I'm choosing Van Dijk for the reason that he's had such an immense impact on Liverpool's defence. He's such a big presence there and the difference in Liverpool's defence pre- and post-Van Dijk joining the club is clear to see. Their organisation is so much better and I know Alisson has helped with that as well, but Van Dijk shows so much leadership and initiative which helps too.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Van Dijk and Koulibaly ( @Cannabis how come you deleted the other topic?)

I'm choosing Van Dijk for the reason that he's had such an immense impact on Liverpool's defence. He's such a big presence there and the difference in Liverpool's defence pre- and post-Van Dijk joining the club is clear to see. Their organisation is so much better and I know Alisson has helped with that as well, but Van Dijk shows so much leadership and initiative which helps too.

How about Umtiti missing and Barça becoming a sieve?

• Administrator
Just now, SirBalon said:

How about Umtiti missing and Barça becoming a sieve?

I've not watched as much of Barca as I have Liverpool, to be quite honest. Plus, Barcelona weren't as bad and leaky as Liverpool before the respective players signed. 

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

I've not watched as much of Barca as I have Liverpool, to be quite honest. Plus, Barcelona weren't as bad and leaky as Liverpool before the respective players signed. 

Before Umtiti signed there had already been a 3 year inquest into when they were going to sign a centre-back (a proper one) with all sorts of names being connected to the club like Thiago Silva, Marquinhos and even Sergio Ramos :o (yes it's true, there had been talks between Ramos and Barça).

Barcelona's defence was in decadence before Umtiti arrived from Olympique Lyonnaise and he along with Arthur and Ter Stegen have been the best signings by Barcelona in the last decade which includes names like Luis Suárez and Neymar during that period.

Van Dijk without a doubt has been a very expensive fix for Liverpool's defence but just because Barcelona are who they are it doesn't mean they don't need to fix things too.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Before Umtiti signed there had already been a 3 year inquest into when they were going to sign a centre-back (a proper one) with all sorts of names being connected to the club like Thiago Silva, Marquinhos and even Sergio Ramos :o (yes it's true, there had been talks between Ramos and Barça).

Barcelona's defence was in decadence before Umtiti arrived from Olympique Lyonnaise and he along with Arthur and Ter Stegen have been the best signings by Barcelona in the last decade which includes names like Luis Suárez and Neymar during that period.

Van Dijk without a doubt has been a very expensive fix for Liverpool's defence but just because Barcelona are who they are it doesn't mean they don't need to fix things too.

I agree. Just personal preference and think Van Dijk's impact is bigger. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I agree. Just personal preference and think Van Dijk's impact is bigger. 

In two players that you mentioned you do have a conflict of interests on voting though mate.

Both Van Dijk and Koulibaly have nothing to choose between the two and to be honest if push came to shove I'd choose the Napoli centre-back before the Liverpool one for obvious reasons in the difference between both squads and both clubs' resources where financial power is concerned.  Under those rule Koulibaly has been a lot more important than VvD.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

In two players that you mentioned you do have a conflict of interests on voting though mate.

Both Van Dijk and Koulibaly have nothing to choose between the two and to be honest if push came to shove I'd choose the Napoli centre-back before the Liverpool one for obvious reasons in the difference between both squads and both clubs' resources where financial power is concerned.  Under those rule Koulibaly has been a lot more important than VvD.

We're talking about talents of the individuals as we see them, though, as opposed to financial power of the club?

• The topic was unpinned
Just now, Stan said:

We're talking about talents of the individuals as we see them, though, as opposed to financial power of the club?

Indeed, but the two factors you seem to be wanting to dismiss also give us indications to the value of each player on the field of play.

Before Sarri arrived Napoli's biggest problem was stopping goals going in and that was even with a strategical coach like Benítez being in charge previously. Sarri focuses on attack which is a contradiction in football philosophy where an Italian coach is concerned...  Koulibaly although not being part of a team that has won anything (neither has VvD with Liverpool) has made a tremendous difference to Napoli's problems in leaking goals as the stats show us (so has Van Dijk for Liverpool) while being part of a very organic method of growth in terms of braking club and national records on statistics compared to financial acumen.  That proves that the player has provided more than his counterpart on this debate.

What I'm trying to say is that you've based your argument on a very insular view point that even though you mentioned both because you have great football knowledge. You've also admitted that you've seen more of one compared to the other and that dismisses the argument. :ph34r:

I's opening debate by playing Devil's Advocate here by the way mate.

Lucky Marcelo hasn't been included in this poll too because the strange folk would suddenly feel the affliction of fingeritis clickitis.

10 hours ago, Harry said:

You can only vote for 1? I'd give VVD my second vote if i get one...

First i had to go for Varane. Was a top 3 player in  the world this year so can't be overlooked...

How was Varane a top three player in the world this year?

From what I've seen, it has to be Van Dijk hasn't it? Added a real balance to that Liverpool back line, something it was missing.  Stabilized it completely and that was important for it to help them reach the UCL final. Attack wins you games, defence wins you championships, as the old saying goes. I heard he was doing well for his NT too, in which I got a little preview when the Netherlands beat us in September. He was impeccable there.

I also think Diego Godin had a good year, a huge improvement from the inconsistency of 2017. He'd take my second vote. 

Archived