talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Sci-Fi Thread..

football forum

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

So the crew so far is made up of the following... 

Bluewolf - Mulder

Image result for mulder gif

Nudge - Scully

Image result for scully gif

Caac John - Science Officer Spock

Related image

Mel81x - Ellen Ripley

Image result for ripley gifs

Azeem - Zachary Smith... wants to secretly be me 

Related image

We need a Robot as well I reckon... 

R2D2! 

16 minutes ago, nudge said:

R2D2! 

Make that 2 robots then... One who can play Chess and a Lost In Space 2nd series type model to accompany Ripley when we want to put the frightners on hostile alien species..  

We need to vote for ships Captain as well... can't be me as it's already been pointed out that I sometimes have trouble controlling myself and putting everyone at risk although you would all follow me to your doom and destruction because I am likable.. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Make that 2 robots then... One who can play Chess and a Lost In Space 2nd series type model to accompany Ripley when we want to put the frightners on hostile alien species..  

We need to vote for ships Captain as well... can't be me as it's already been pointed out that I sometimes have trouble controlling myself and putting everyone at risk although you would all follow me to your doom and destruction because I am likable.. 

Sounds perfect to me... xD 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

The Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy of Star Wars robots will do then...:D

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c40b9d0385965522e

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Can't be me either, I am a Vulcan so I nominate @nudge as captain as she is straightforward and will take no shit from no one.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Can't be me either, I am a Vulcan so I nominate @nudge as captain as she is straightforward and will take no shit from no one.

giphy.gif

xD 

I'm really not captain material though... Might as well just have the robot in charge xD 

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, nudge said:

xD 

I'm really not captain material though... Might as well just have the robot in charge xD 

We've all watched 2001 do you really want a robot or AI in charge of anything space and exploratory related?

Actually, its okay if it goes AWOL i'll just put it to bed.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

We've all watched 2001 do you really want a robot or AI in charge of anything space and exploratory related?

Actually, its okay if it goes AWOL i'll just put it to bed.

Poor HAL just became trapped in his flawed design...programmed specifically for the Discovery mission with instructions that directly conflicted with this primary programming, he was always destined to fall victim to a Hofstadter-Moebius loop... Poor thing :( 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

Poor HAL just became trapped in his flawed design...programmed specifically for the Discovery mission with instructions that directly conflicted with this primary programming, he was always destined to fall victim to a Hofstadter-Moebius loop... Poor thing :( 

For this alone I think you get to pick the robot that comes on the ship. As long as its not an android I can live with it.

• Haha 2

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

For this alone I think you get to pick the robot that comes on the ship. As long as its not an android I can live with it.

It's R2-D2 then! And as per @Bluewolf's request, we'll also be accompanied by another one...

I present you...

Robby the Robot!

RobbyRobot.jpg?resize=740,416&type=verti

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's R2-D2 then! And as per @Bluewolf's request, we'll also be accompanied by another one...

I present you...

Robby the Robot!

RobbyRobot.jpg?resize=740,416&type=verti

Don't think I don't know why you want that particular robot along... :ph34r:

Robby’s coolest feature is the ability to synthesize any type of matter with no trouble at all. He’s able to create hyper-advanced spaceship components in a matter of hours, and has no difficulty making a dress for Altaira which is covered in diamonds and emeralds. That’s right, folks: Robby is the king of bling. You know what else he’s the king of? Bootlegging alcohol. When the ship’s stinking drunk of a cook asks Robby to produce some extra whisky for him, Robby replies with: “Would 60 gallons be sufficient?” And you better believe he makes those 60 gallons, even duplicating the bottle and label of the cook’s favorite brand. 

xD

Cool choice though.. non threatening, unlikely to become unhinged and can create spare parts if needed... vote for nudge as captain revoked! All night drinking sessions and ultra smooth planetary landing do not go hand in hand... 

Image result for red dwarf starbug crashing gif

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Yes of course... The Hofstadter-Moebius loop.. 

Image result for confused gif

Just a fancy term for the error condition common to advanced autonomous computers when it is given a directive in conflict with its basic design principles, and is unable to resolve that conflict, resulting in symptoms similar to a schizophrenic psychosis in humans. That's basically just how HAL went mad...

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Don't think I don't know why you want that particular robot along... :ph34r:

Robby’s coolest feature is the ability to synthesize any type of matter with no trouble at all. He’s able to create hyper-advanced spaceship components in a matter of hours, and has no difficulty making a dress for Altaira which is covered in diamonds and emeralds. That’s right, folks: Robby is the king of bling. You know what else he’s the king of? Bootlegging alcohol. When the ship’s stinking drunk of a cook asks Robby to produce some extra whisky for him, Robby replies with: “Would 60 gallons be sufficient?” And you better believe he makes those 60 gallons, even duplicating the bottle and label of the cook’s favorite brand. 

xD

Cool choice though.. non threatening, unlikely to become unhinged and can create spare parts if needed... vote for nudge as captain revoked! All night drinking sessions and ultra smooth planetary landing do not go hand in hand... 

Image result for red dwarf starbug crashing gif

He'll serve me us well... xD 

Hey we can also run the ship the old school pirate democracy style anyway...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Just a fancy term for the error condition common to advanced autonomous computers when it is given a directive in conflict with its basic design principles, and is unable to resolve that conflict, resulting in symptoms similar to a schizophrenic psychosis in humans. That's basically just how HAL went mad...

A bit like the 3 laws of Robotics... If any action that should conflict with it's programming then it either forces a shut down or locks people out of the ship and does not allow them back in you mean.. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

A bit like the 3 laws of Robotics... If any action that should conflict with it's programming then it either forces a shut down or locks people out of the ship and does not allow them back in you mean.. 

Yes although HAL killing the crew was the result of him going insane as a result of this error... Basically his primary programming was "accurate processing of information without distortion or concealment", yet his orders for the mission required him to keep the discovery of the Monolith and the real purpose of the mission a secret for reasons of national security. This contradiction created the aforementioned Hofstadter-Moebius loop reducing HAL to experiencing symptoms of schizophrenia and paranoia. So in the end HAL made the decision to kill the crew, allowing him to obey both his hardwired primary instructions to report data truthfully, and his orders to keep the purpose of the mission a secret. Poor HAL; so misunderstood and as always it's the fault of the humans in the end! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

May I suggest...

7GladEe.png

That will either intimidate everyone or get us killed xD 

If there is a danger we might get killed throwing our weight around in the galaxy I suggest something like this to be conducting our business in.. 

Image result for pirate ship arcadia gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

If there is a danger we might get killed throwing our weight around in the galaxy I suggest something like this to be conducting our business in.. 

Image result for pirate ship arcadia gif

Ah, and here we go - starting as a Mars colonist ship and turning into smuggling, terrorising bunch of pirates in just a few hours... xD 

• Haha 1