talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Sci-Fi Thread..

football forum

• Subscriber

@nudge @Bluewolf @Mel81x I thought I would post this in here, Science Fiction...or is it?

Quote.thumb.png.568bcdaf941da4c6be004874a98dd1e0.png

Coming Soon to a Battlefield: Robots That Can Kill

AAGJEgf.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Wallops Island—a remote, marshy spit of land along the eastern shore of Virginia, near a famed national refuge for horses—is mostly known as a launch site for government and private rockets. But it also makes for a perfect, quiet spot to test a revolutionary weapons technology.

If a fishing vessel had steamed past the area last October, the crew might have glimpsed half a dozen or so 35-foot-long inflatable boats darting through the shallows, and thought little of it. But if crew members had looked closer, they would have seen that no one was aboard: The engine throttle levers were shifting up and down as if controlled by ghosts. The boats were using high-tech gear to sense their surroundings, communicate with one another, and automatically position themselves so, in theory, .50-caliber machine guns that can be strapped to their bows could fire a steady stream of bullets to protect troops landing on a beach.

The secretive effort—part of a Marine Corps program called Sea Mob—was meant to demonstrate that vessels equipped with cutting-edge technology could soon undertake lethal assaults without a direct human hand at the helm. It was successful: Sources familiar with the test described it as a major milestone in the development of a new wave of artificially intelligent weapons systems soon to make their way to the battlefield.

AAGJShn.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Getty The original T-800 Endoskeleton robot used in filming Terminator Salvation

Lethal, largely autonomous weaponry isn’t entirely new: A handful of such systems have been deployed for decades, though only in limited, defensive roles, such as shooting down missiles hurtling toward ships. But with the development of AI-infused systems, the military is now on the verge of fielding machines capable of going on the offensive, picking out targets and taking lethal action without direct human input.

FULL REPORT HERE

• Subscriber

https://www.wearethemighty.com/gear-tech/robot-machine-guns-guard-dmz

So this is pretty old but the only reason I posted it was because I couldn't find the other more awesome article which states that they could now auto-detect threats. So, in essence, the AI system running these things is now capable of making tactical decisions that are akin to figuring out whether a subject is a threat or not and then neutralizing said threat as well. 

South Korea leads the world in robotic AI development so we're going to see some more of this stuff come about and the dire need to eradicate humans from life threatening war-based solutions isn't far away. I even said it in the AI thread, the day isn't far when machines can actually make better tactical decisions than humans when it comes to life-saving or prevention-based scenarios. 

The other big improvement in robotics that has fueled so much good and bad stuff (as tech always does) is exoskeletal work to mimic organic motion. I don't remember where I read it but troop deployments with heavy weapons/cargo will be a thing of the past and it may already be because the exo-s can now carry thrice the load a normal person would with negligible movement hindrance as well. Couple that with the aforementioned weapon tech and add some AI for friendly-spot recognition and you're closer to a self-run killing machine that can do more damage than a regular soldier and withstand harsher conditions.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to tag @CaaC (John) and @nudge

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
© Valentyn Ogirenko / Reuters
A serviceman of the Ukrainian special operation forces poses for a picture ahead of a cyber games tournament, part of a consumer electronics exhibition in Kiev, Ukraine, on September 28, 2019.

@nudge @Bluewolf @Mel81x

AAIgcDZ.img?h=1080&w=1920&m=6&q=60&o=f&l

Edited by CaaC (John)
Add On
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.496ef6efd21f664c0076697109a60e8f.png

THE GREEN KNIGHT: TRAILER PUTS A NEW SPIN ON A LEGEND

The teaser trailer for A24’s Arthurian fantasy The Green Knight has been released.

By SciFiNow Team  14-02-20  

IMG_7028-616x913.jpeg

A24 has released a teaser trailer for the movie, The Green Knight. If you haven’t seen it yet (or just want to re-watch it – we have… a lot…) here it is below:

Here is a synopsis:

An epic fantasy adventure based on the timeless Arthurian legend, The Green Knight tells the story of Sir Gawain (Dev Patel), King Arthur’s reckless and headstrong nephew, who embarks on a daring quest to confront the eponymous Green Knight, a gigantic emerald-skinned stranger and tester of men. Gawain contends with ghosts, giants, thieves, and schemers in what becomes a deeper journey to define his character and prove his worth in the eyes of his family and kingdom by facing the ultimate challenger. From visionary filmmaker David Lowery comes a fresh and bold spin on a classic tale from the knights of the round table.

Written and directed by David Lowery The Green Knight stars Dev Patel, Alicia Vikander, Joel Edgerton, Sarita Choudhury, Sean Harris, Kate Dickie, Barry Keoghan and Ralph Ineson.

The Green Knight will be released on 29 May 2020.

https://www.scifinow.co.uk/cinema/the-green-knight-trailer-puts-a-new-spin-on-a-legend/

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.496ef6efd21f664c0076697109a60e8f.png

THE GREEN KNIGHT: TRAILER PUTS A NEW SPIN ON A LEGEND

The teaser trailer for A24’s Arthurian fantasy The Green Knight has been released.

By SciFiNow Team  14-02-20  

IMG_7028-616x913.jpeg

A24 has released a teaser trailer for the movie, The Green Knight. If you haven’t seen it yet (or just want to re-watch it – we have… a lot…) here it is below:

Here is a synopsis:

An epic fantasy adventure based on the timeless Arthurian legend, The Green Knight tells the story of Sir Gawain (Dev Patel), King Arthur’s reckless and headstrong nephew, who embarks on a daring quest to confront the eponymous Green Knight, a gigantic emerald-skinned stranger and tester of men. Gawain contends with ghosts, giants, thieves, and schemers in what becomes a deeper journey to define his character and prove his worth in the eyes of his family and kingdom by facing the ultimate challenger. From visionary filmmaker David Lowery comes a fresh and bold spin on a classic tale from the knights of the round table.

Written and directed by David Lowery The Green Knight stars Dev Patel, Alicia Vikander, Joel Edgerton, Sarita Choudhury, Sean Harris, Kate Dickie, Barry Keoghan and Ralph Ineson.

The Green Knight will be released on 29 May 2020.

https://www.scifinow.co.uk/cinema/the-green-knight-trailer-puts-a-new-spin-on-a-legend/

@Bluewolf have a word. 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Did I post something wrong?  :eek: 

I'll just leave this here... :D

On 09/12/2018 at 16:35, Bluewolf said:

Security!!! Someone has put a Fantasy related item in the Sci-Fi section.... 

ultrakillblast: âMARS ATTACKS (1996) â

xD

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

But, but.....  9_9 O.o  I found it in a Scifi site, better set the Security team on that site.  :D

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611026b0d4c5e3fb230c9

tumblr_pf7ysjV9AK1x6m6njo1_400.gif

Oh don't you worry matey... Just in the middle of installing a new more robust security system right now... 

See the source image

Edited by Bluewolf
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

But, but.....  9_9 O.o  I found it in a Scifi site, better set the Security team on that site.  :D

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611026b0d4c5e3fb230c9

tumblr_pf7ysjV9AK1x6m6njo1_400.gif

A Long time ago on a page far far away I had this little conversation..... 

On 09/12/2018 at 15:13, Bluewolf said:

Don't make me call security again... 

Science Fiction is made up of real things that already exist, like Space Travel, Rockets, Planets, Distant Worlds, Other things to be taken into consideration are the elements that are around but not yet realized to their full potential... AI, Robots, Space Stations, Advances in Lazer Technology so on and so forth...

Unicorns don't exist at all.... I have never seen one, I know they didn't die out from over hunting or a comet hitting the planet and it's unlikely I will get to see one before I die... It's possible that they may yet clone such a beast in the future although I am not aware of such a project or indeed seen a mass of funding for the Unicorn cause... so it remains along with King Kong, Godzilla and a woman I can understand, a myth, a fantasy.... 

I think what you found was a sci fi/fantasy site that caters for all... this thread however caters for Sci-Fi only... it's the rules!! 

Edited by Bluewolf