talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Sci-Fi Thread..

football forum

5 hours ago, nudge said:

7x2y3ezmqz221.jpg

Better and more in-depth look at the Fermi Paradox:

Thoughts? What is the probability that extraterrestrial life exists, whether in primitive or intelligent or completely unknown forms, in your opinion? Are we alone in an otherwise empty, lifeless universe? Or haven't we just found it yet? 

It is a scary thought to think that if we were indeed the only planet in the entire reaches of space that is capable of supporting life as we understand it then we are indeed doomed.. I find that scenario very hard to come to terms with.. 

Although our initial findings so far point to maybe being alone I would find it hard to believe that we were just a random one off event in all that space... There must be other planets out there that can sustain us or at least have life in some form or another. Depending on the conditions the life would obviously vary. Some planets may be capable of only being able to support the life found on it where we might struggle or even find impossible.. If we could find any evidence from anywhere out there that there may be other life regardless of what type of life it is then there would be hope... 

Given the distances required to travel in order to find such places great technological leaps would need to be made in space travel like hyper speed, warp drives etc, It may be some considerable time before any of that becomes a reality and if you think about how far we have managed to go over all those years it's still only baby steps in such vastness that it seems almost impossible to calculate...  Space is so big and seemingly endless that it could take hundreds of years before our signals or probes reached something that might be able to respond to it, if at all.. 

Who knows maybe if we have not received a signal or found a planet capable of life by the time our planets resources have run down or overpopulation renders it uninhabitable we may yet end up cruising through the universe on big ships like Battlestar Galactica  hoping to one day find a planet that can support life.. If we are indeed the only form of life then eventually we will die out if the tech does not advance quicker than our ability to consume.. 

• Like 1

Behind the Scenes of 'UFO'

UFO - behind the scenes

UFO - behind the scenes

UFO - behind the scenes

UFO - behind the scenes

UFO - behind the scenes

UFO - behind the scenes

UFO - Base Luna

UFO - Base Luna

SID ( Space Intruder Detector ) 

tumblr_pfiy2pDAzL1sqf5tdo1_1280.jpg

Image result for ufo tv show

Related image

Related image

Moonbase ( Shado ) 

Related image

Interceptor Specs... 

Image result for moonbase interceptors ufo

Skydiver... 

Image result for skydiver ufo

Image result for skydiver ufo

Sky 1 

Image result for sky 1 plane and ufo

Mobile

Image result for ufo series

Image result for ufo series

And of course that car... 

Image result for ufo series car

Anyone like to hazard a guess who's Mother this is??? 

historium: âWanda Ventham, mother of Benedict Cumberbatch, in British TV series UFO, 1970s. â

Edited by Bluewolf
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

It is a scary thought to think that if we were indeed the only planet in the entire reaches of space that is capable of supporting life as we understand it then we are indeed doomed.. I find that scenario very hard to come to terms with.. 

Although our initial findings so far point to maybe being alone I would find it hard to believe that we were just a random one off event in all that space... There must be other planets out there that can sustain us or at least have life in some form or another. Depending on the conditions the life would obviously vary. Some planets may be capable of only being able to support the life found on it where we might struggle or even find impossible.. If we could find any evidence from anywhere out there that there may be other life regardless of what type of life it is then there would be hope... 

Given the distances required to travel in order to find such places great technological leaps would need to be made in space travel like hyper speed, warp drives etc, It may be some considerable time before any of that becomes a reality and if you think about how far we have managed to go over all those years it's still only baby steps in such vastness that it seems almost impossible to calculate...  Space is so big and seemingly endless that it could take hundreds of years before our signals or probes reached something that might be able to respond to it, if at all.. 

Who knows maybe if we have not received a signal or found a planet capable of life by the time our planets resources have run down or overpopulation renders it uninhabitable we may yet end up cruising through the universe on big ships like Battlestar Galactica  hoping to one day find a planet that can support life.. If we are indeed the only form of life then eventually we will die out if the tech does not advance quicker than our ability to consume.. 

My thoughts exactly. There are over two trillion galaxies in the universe, we've been around only for like 0.00001% of the entire timeline of the universe, and life - as we know it - is made up largely of four most basic elements. Given all that, I think it's highly unlikely (if not straight out impossible) that we're the only living form in all that vast space. I believe that we'll find evidence of life in the solar system (in form of some microorganisms) in my lifetime. As for other intelligent forms of life...it probably depends on how far and how advanced they are, and how advanced our technology becomes with time. Given that the universe is expanding surprisingly fast, the distances will only grow larger and it will only get harder to explore.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 07:42, nudge said:

My thoughts exactly. There are over two trillion galaxies in the universe, we've been around only for like 0.00001% of the entire timeline of the universe, and life - as we know it - is made up largely of four most basic elements. Given all that, I think it's highly unlikely (if not straight out impossible) that we're the only living form in all that vast space. I believe that we'll find evidence of life in the solar system (in form of some microorganisms) in my lifetime. As for other intelligent forms of life...it probably depends on how far and how advanced they are, and how advanced our technology becomes with time. Given that the universe is expanding surprisingly fast, the distances will only grow larger and it will only get harder to explore.

The other thought would be if we were able to somehow create life on otherwise dead planets by using any existing liquids, soil that are already there like the Genesis Device used in Star Trek for example.. If we were able to kick start life somehow it would mean that we wouldn't need to spend hundreds of years searching for ideal planets as we may be able to use planets that were closer to us... Not sure if the research is already out there or how much funding that would need for such things but would at least give us 2 options to consider.. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

The other thought would be if we were able to somehow create life on otherwise dead planets by using any existing liquids, soil that are already there like the Genesis Device used in Star Trek for example.. If we were able to kick start life somehow it would mean that we wouldn't need to spend hundreds of years searching for ideal planets as we may be able to use planets that were closer to us... Not sure if the research is already out there or how much funding that would need for such things but would at least give us 2 options to consider.. 

So you basically mean terraforming planets to make them habitable and able to support (human) life? Theoretically, it should be possible; you'd basically need to modify (or create) atmosphere, warm up the planet, and then throw biomass (probably genetically engineered to withstand harsh conditions) at it. Mars is a fairly realistic target for terraforming and there are quite a few proposed hypothetical strategies for it; but there are some pretty serious issues such as lack of magnetic field and low gravity that make global planetary engineering difficult...not to mention that the costs would be enormous and the whole process would take centuries at the very least... I think  we'll start constructing large space habitats and settlements with materials acquired from asteroid mining long before we even attempt to terraform a planet.

EDIT: Just found an infographic that deals with the process, the costs, and the timeline of terraforming of Mars; a pretty interesting overview:

X4niK.jpg

• Subscriber

Mars Colony Prize - Design the First Human Settlement on Mars

The Mars Society is holding a special contest called The Mars Colony Prize for designing the best plan for a Mars colony of 1000 people. There will be a prize of $10,000 for first place, $5,000 for second and $2500 for third. In addition, the best 20 papers will be published in a book - “Mars Colonies: Plans for Settling the Red Planet.”

https://www.marssociety.org/mars-colony-prize-design-the-first-human-settlement-on-mars/

Should start working on it @Bluewolf :D 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, nudge said:

Mars Colony Prize - Design the First Human Settlement on Mars

The Mars Society is holding a special contest called The Mars Colony Prize for designing the best plan for a Mars colony of 1000 people. There will be a prize of $10,000 for first place, $5,000 for second and $2500 for third. In addition, the best 20 papers will be published in a book - “Mars Colonies: Plans for Settling the Red Planet.”

https://www.marssociety.org/mars-colony-prize-design-the-first-human-settlement-on-mars/

Should start working on it @Bluewolf :D 

Could you imagine that... winning that and having a colony design built and put into place on Mars many years into the future... It would be an accomplishment just to get it in the book.... 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

tumblr_pieytlmmMq1xfxa5bo1_540.jpg

tumblr_pieytlmmMq1xfxa5bo2_540.jpg

tumblr_pieytlmmMq1xfxa5bo3_540.jpg

tumblr_pieytlmmMq1xfxa5bo5_540.jpg

tumblr_pieytlmmMq1xfxa5bo7_540.jpg

tumblr_pieytlmmMq1xfxa5bo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_pieytlmmMq1xfxa5bo8_640.jpg

When Debbie Harry met Alien artist H.R.Giger and made front cover of Heavy Metal Magazine.... 

What a brilliant collaboration... Giger's work was amazing. They actually have a museum for him in Switzerland as well as two bars that are decorated true to his style.

Here's the original article with some additional photos as well...

Heavy_Metal_v05_09_December_1981_0039.jp

Heavy_Metal_v05_09_December_1981_0040.jp

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Have never watched the new version but I loved the old series with Dr Zachary Smith (Jonathan Harris) always getting into some kind of trouble :D

qtd3nsrjwsgfij3r5srm.jpg

Should watch the new one then mate... bit of a twist in that area.. He was a right drama queen in the original, causing all the trouble and then running off blaming others.. xD

Image result for zachary smith gifs gif

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Should watch the new one then mate... bit of a twist in that area.. He was a right drama queen in the original, causing all the trouble and then running off blaming others.. xD

That's quite an understatement xD 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

That's quite an understatement

xD

• Haha 2

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, nudge said:

Someoene put a lot of work into this O.o A Starship size comparison chart. Open the image in new tab to and zoom in!

Brilliant lol, I spotted this I got we Kaiden as he loves Star Wars and a few other Warships and when I get the time I will look for the rest :D

48415322_10156942320662855_3289471394231

• Like 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Brilliant lol, I spotted this I got we Kaiden as he loves Star Wars and a few other Warships and when I get the time I will look for the rest :D

The best part is the actual International Space Station there in the left corner; it's just a pixel in comparison xD 

Get your grandson one of those Star Wars cross-section books some time, I'm sure he'd to love it! :D

qB422XT.jpg

• Subscriber

He has a load of Star Wars figures and book's and he has a toy box still here in the back room he will keep himself occupied when he visits with our daughter, the photo below you can just spot the Battle Cruiser in the small box on the coffee table. :D

48380359_10156942360777855_8733858452167

• Upvote 2