Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Group B - Matchday 6 - Tuesday 11th December, 2018

Barcelona vs Tottenham, 20.00
Inter vs PSV, 20.00

• Barcelona are guaranteed top spot.
  • Tottenham (2nd) have a superior away-goals head-to-head record with Inter (3rd). As a result, they only need to match Inter's result against PSV to qualify.
  • Inter must better Tottenham's result if the North London side don't win.

Even with their current injuries I fancy Spurs here. Suarez has been ruled out whilst Harry Kane will be desperate to showcase his skills at the Nou Camp.

Fairly weak Barca squad, there. If Spurs had a chance to go through with ease, this is it tonight.

Messi, Pique, Alba, Ter Stegen, Busquets all on the bench. Suarez out injured. 

Goal BARCELONA!!!!
What a goal by Dembele!!!!

Dembele again! He will get his head screwed on he has to. He can be such a good player.

Good news for Spurs! PSV have scored away at Inter!! Lozano heads in from close range after an Asamoah mistake. Great for Tottenham...

Cillessen has been quality for Barca tonight.

GOAL INTER!!!!

Icardi to the rescue for Inter!

Coutinho hits the post for the 2nd time tonight.

GOAL TOTTENHAM!!!

Lucas Moura scores from close-range and at this rate, Spurs are going through!

21 minutes ago, shut up said:

This is the worst Barca performance I have ever seen. So poor.

That's because we were bloody superb 

Inter fucked up. Barcelona didn't put up a great line-up against Tottenham but Inter winning their game, a game they should've won, would've meant they went through. Obviously PSV aren't a walkover but at home with the superior squad with more to play for, Inter bottled it.

YESSSSSSSSSS. What a performance from the lads, every single last one of them. Never in my wildest dreams did I see us going to the Camp Nou and playing them off the park. Cannot believe we didn't win that game, finishing was shocking and Cillessen had a blinder, but I think we got exactly what we deserved from that performance. Absolute heroes the lot of them. Just gutted Theresa May ruined my life, and meant I couldn't get over there. Cheeky cow then cancels the vote at the last minute and all for nothing. 

Context needs to be taken when praising Spurs I think, Barcelona's ''C'' team and a goal five minutes from time? Well done, not taking anything away from them but hardly going toe to toe with Messi and his mates.

• Upvote 1

Spurs were very good, even if Barca defensively were pathetic.

I hate Inter though, so a silver lining there.

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Context needs to be taken when praising Spurs I think, Barcelona's ''C'' team and a goal five minutes from time? Well done, not taking anything away from them but hardly going toe to toe with Messi and his mates.

You didn't watch the game did you. Played them off the park. Coutinho and Dembele both cost more than our whole team 

Messi was on for half an hour. 

Just now, Storts said:

You didn't watch the game did you. Played them off the park. Coutinho and Dembele both cost more than our whole team 

Messi was on for half an hour. 

Still? You can't pretend that it was a full strength Barcelona side, played them off the park or not it was a weakened side that with them already through would have obviously been told to take it easy and not pick up injury. Again, not taking anything away from you but it can't be written as an achievement at the Camp Nou. The result you needed against a very underpowered outfit.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cannabis said:

Still? You can't pretend that it was a full strength Barcelona side, played them off the park or not it was a weakened side that with them already through would have obviously been told to take it easy and not pick up injury. Again, not taking anything away from you but it can't be written as an achievement at the Camp Nou. The result you needed against a very underpowered outfit.

Of course it can be written as an achievement. Barcelona are one of, if not the best sides in the world, regardless of changes. This is hardly a C team either. Semedo, Lenglet, Arthur, Rakitic, Dembele, Coutinho - combined cost of around 350 million. 

I'm sorry but not having you write this off. Dread to think what your reaction would be if Everton ever qualified

I think it's an accomplishment for Spurs in that they did enough to get out of a group with Barca and Inter, not the easiest group by any means.

But at the same time, they did do just enough to get passed an understrength Barca side. Granted, I hear that they dominated that understrength Barca and it was sloppy finishing that is the reason the scoreline didn't reflect that domination. But at the end of the day, that's not a full strength Barca and they did just enough to squeak out of the group.

No reason a Spurs fan wouldn't be pleased with that, even if it was left late and not in as convincing a manner as it perhaps should have been.

• Upvote 1

Fair result although that amount of changes with some very experimental players was a challenge for Barcelona. Add the fact that Barça didn't need anything from the game while Spurs did makes it even more challenging... All the same, from a Barcelona perspective it was good that those players like Miranda (especially) and Aleña got through a Champions a League game that actually meant something to one of the sides which made it competitive.

Tottenham done well though and don't have to apologise for whatever side Barça put out... They had a job to do and came through it with a draw at the Camp Nou which is no mean feat in this competition.  Tottenham are a better side than Inter so it's better to see them go through than the Italian club in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Storts said:

Of course it can be written as an achievement. Barcelona are one of, if not the best sides in the world, regardless of changes. This is hardly a C team either. Semedo, Lenglet, Arthur, Rakitic, Dembele, Coutinho - combined cost of around 350 million. 

I'm sorry but not having you write this off. Dread to think what your reaction would be if Everton ever qualified

I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree. Financial clout has absolutely nothing to do with it, the players out there are not those that would make up the starting eleven in an El Clasico for example and with the club already through to the next round they will have been told to take it easy, save fitness and not get injured. Of course they will have wanted to win the game but run themselves into the ground doing so? Not a chance. It's a glorified friendly. 

Bringing a club that isn't relevant to the discussion is the sign of losing an argument and clutching at straws. The only two teams that matter in this debate are Barcelona and Tottenham, if Everton qualified in the same circumstances I would be made up (and I'm not pulling you up for that) but claiming that you've played Barcelona off the park? Nah. Any neutral could see that this isn't a fair judgement, if you'd done this in the Champions League final with something at stake then fair enough but this was a total mismatch. A 1-1 draw against an underpowered side with far bigger fish to fry than tonight - a side already through and with nothing to gain by winning.

5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree. Financial clout has absolutely nothing to do with it, the players out there are not those that would make up the starting eleven in an El Clasico for example and with the club already through to the next round they will have been told to take it easy, save fitness and not get injured. Of course they will have wanted to win the game but run themselves into the ground doing so? Not a chance. It's a glorified friendly. 

Bringing a club that isn't relevant to the discussion is the sign of losing an argument and clutching at straws. The only two teams that matter in this debate are Barcelona and Tottenham, if Everton qualified in the same circumstances I would be made up (and I'm not pulling you up for that) but claiming that you've played Barcelona off the park? Nah. Any neutral could see that this isn't a fair judgement, if you'd done this in the Champions League final with something at stake then fair enough but this was a total mismatch. A 1-1 draw against an underpowered side with far bigger fish to fry than tonight - a side already through and with nothing to gain by winning.

Happy to agree to disagree

Financial clout certainly plays a part. Some of their back up players are still absolute stars that would get in most sides in the world. 

What do you mean it isn't a fair judgement? We played them off the park! It's just an accurate description of the game we've just played. Any neutral that actually watched the game tonight would say the same. We dominated from start to finish. 

Here's just one example for you

Proud of these players - didn't know they had a performance like that in them - but massive for the club to progress.

• Upvote 1

Embarrassing result for Spurs, despite the implications of it. Title challengers in the Premier League cannot beat a third rate Barcelona side? Poor.

5 minutes ago, Storts said:

Financial clout certainly plays a part. Some of their back up players are still absolute stars that would get in most sides in the world. 

What do you mean it isn't a fair judgement? We played them off the park! It's just an accurate description of the game we've just played. Any neutral that actually watched the game tonight would say the same. We dominated from start to finish. 

Nevermind, you're completely missing the point. Regardless of who they played or how much they cost, Barcelona were already through. Done, dusted nothing to play for. If you were in a group competition, already through and played your Reserves against Wimbledon and they drew 1-1 would it be an amazing achievement? Not really because you wasn't arsed about the game and played the lads that you don't play in the big games. How can you not see that?!

Not sure what that tweet has to do with anything but as I said you're missing the point here. I'm not suggesting you didn't play them off the park but you're making out that you made Messi, Suarez, Pique, ter Stegen etc look like mugs when in actual fact it was their mates that turned up and were more than likely told not to burn out too much. 

Enjoy the night anyway, don't bother replying have a beer instead. As I said in my first post I'm happy for Tottenham, building a class project and it's an English side through to the next round. Hope you go far.

Edit: It seems @The Artful Dodger is taking over anyway.

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Nevermind, you're completely missing the point. Regardless of who they played or how much they cost, Barcelona were already through. Done, dusted nothing to play for. If you were in a group competition, already through and played your Reserves against Wimbledon and they drew 1-1 would it be an amazing achievement? Not really because you wasn't arsed about the game and played the lads that you don't play in the big games. How can you not see that?!

Not sure what that tweet has to do with anything but as I said you're missing the point here. I'm not suggesting you didn't play them off the park but you're making out that you made Messi, Suarez, Pique, ter Stegen etc look like mugs when in actual fact it was their mates that turned up and were more than likely told not to burn out too much. 

Enjoy the night anyway, don't bother replying have a beer instead. As I said in my first post I'm happy for Tottenham, building a class project and it's an English side through to the next round. Hope you go far.

Edit: It seems @The Artful Dodger is taking over anyway.

Nobody wants to respond to him though xD:hh:

A lot of time for Tottenham, superb side who I'd dearly like to see win the league ahead of the two cancers currently ahead of them. However, I don't see how playing their hearts out with their best side against a piss poor reserve Barcelona and getting a 1-1 draw is cause for celebration, apart from the obvious relief of Internazionale being more incompetent than they are. I'd imagine Pochettino is not of the same mindset and sees much room for improvement if you are to win the Champions League, which is surely the only reason to be in it?

9 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

A lot of time for Tottenham, superb side who I'd dearly like to see win the league ahead of the two cancers currently ahead of them. However, I don't see how playing their hearts out with their best side against a piss poor reserve Barcelona and getting a 1-1 draw is cause for celebration, apart from the obvious relief of Internazionale being more incompetent than they are. I'd imagine Pochettino is not of the same mindset and sees much room for improvement if you are to win the Champions League, which is surely the only reason to be in it?

Maybe - we were fortunate our lack of composure with the final ball/finish didn't cost us, because it should have been comfortable, but on a night like this and after our start to the group it was all about qualification - and it came with a performance I didn't know we had in us. 

On to the last 16, that's all we can ask.